• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!! Trying to identify problem with Gerber Router Electrical Cabinet.

If needed, I recently acquired two Gerber Sabre 404 machines without their computer and software. I will be retrofitting a different controller. Plus the machines came with two new motherboards and some other PC cards. I am looking to sell these controls, boards, cards, & spindles.

Hueyville

Gerber was kind and sent me some service manuals along with a phone call from a tech with advice where to start troubleshooting. Issue is only been in shop for a half day since as doctors want all the muscles they cut getting the big tumor out of my back to heal more. Wife had me do what should have been twenty minute "honey do" and realized doctor is correct, don't need to do a lot of bending or twisting and no lifting but going to try running though the first diagnostics over next couple weeks. If turns out to be a board and any of your 404 parts interchange with 408 would be interested.

fdarling

If needed, I recently acquired two Gerber Sabre 404 machines without their computer and software. I will be retrofitting a different controller. Plus the machines came with two new motherboards and some other PC cards. I am looking to sell these controls, boards, cards, & spindles.

I have retrofit several Gerber Sabre 408 CNC routers with LinuxCNC, and because of this I developed my own drop-in replacement retrofit motherboard. Attached is a photo of the new motherboard, a photo of the original motherboard, and a screenshot of the LinuxCNC software.

The board has all of the same connectors in the same positions with the same names, making it a breeze to install. You do not have to make any modifications to your electrical cabinet nor machine to use this retrofit board! Also be aware that these machines say they require 208V 3-phase, but in reality they will run off 220V single-phase.

Here is list of motherboard features:
  • 4x encoder input connectors as the original board had
  • 4x Elmo brushed DC servo drive connectors w/ ±10V analog outputs, drive enable signals, and drive fault feedback
  • 2x electrically isolated RS-232 / RS-485 transceivers for controlling the OEM Yaskawa / Saftronics variable frequency drive (VFD) that is used with their "high frequency spindle" option
  • replicating the original home/limit switch inputs
  • replicating the original +24V outputs to drive the contactors in the electrical cabinet that switch the two 120VAC outlets meant for a "dumb" router (for those who don't have the high frequency spindle / VFD) and for a vacuum (dust collector)
  • extra probe inputs: one for a tool length probe, another for a workpiece probe. There are jumpers to have each one operate off +24V or +5V, and be NPN or PNP (active high or active low). This means active sensors (inductive, etc.) are supported, as well as simple mechanical switches that close.
  • alternative servo axis connectors: DB25 / IDC26 connectors are present that allow hooking up aftermarket servo drives using either analog velocity mode, or step/direction position mode. They have encoder feedback for true closed loop, as well as two isolated outputs (typically "enable" and "alarm reset") as well as two isolated inputs (typically "drive enabled" and "alarm").
  • 6x RJ45 connectors for Mesa SmartSerial bus expansion, allowing extra I/O, jog pendants, etc.
  • DIN rail mounting holes on the motherboard itself for a convenient place to install any extra I/O modules (SmartSerial interfaced)
Here is an example of a 32-input 16-output Mesa SmartSerial expansion card:

Mesa 7i84 remote field I/O (sourcing outputs)

The kit includes:
  • the LinuxCNC retrofit motherboard, with Mesa 7i80HDT FPGA card assembled onto it
  • 8x M3 mounting screws (in case the original motherboard screws are missing)
  • an HP small form factor PC with power supply AC adapter. The PC runs LinuxCNC perfectly even while browsing the web, and it has built-in WiFi (not added via USB). It will come pre-configured to run the Gerber out-of-the-box.
  • optionally: 22" ViewSonic VA2256-MHD LCD, which is 1080p with an extremely wide viewing angle and easy to clean front due to the bezel design
  • optionally: VESA monitor arm (for above monitor)
  • optionally: wireless mouse & keyboard
You can read more about my kit on this LinuxCNC Forum post:
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/39-pncconf/46987-gerber-408-retrofit?start=20#294504

Please contact me if you are interested in this kit!

Attachments

• Gerber_Sabre_LinuxCNC_Retrofit_Board_v1.jpg
    Gerber_Sabre_LinuxCNC_Retrofit_Board_v1.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Gerber_Sabre_408_Original_Motherboard.jpg
    Gerber_Sabre_408_Original_Motherboard.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • Gerber_Sabre_LinuxCNC_Screenshot.png
    Gerber_Sabre_LinuxCNC_Screenshot.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 35

netsol

I have retrofit several Gerber Sabre 408 CNC routers with LinuxCNC, and because of this I developed my own drop-in replacement retrofit motherboard. Attached is a photo of the new motherboard, a photo of the original motherboard, and a screenshot of the LinuxCNC software.

The board has all of the same connectors in the same positions with the same names, making it a breeze to install. You do not have to make any modifications to your electrical cabinet nor machine to use this retrofit board! Also be aware that these machines say they require 208V 3-phase, but in reality they will run off 220V single-phase.

Here is list of motherboard features:
  • 4x encoder input connectors as the original board had
  • 4x Elmo brushed DC servo drive connectors w/ ±10V analog outputs, drive enable signals, and drive fault feedback
  • 2x electrically isolated RS-232 / RS-485 transceivers for controlling the OEM Yaskawa / Saftronics variable frequency drive (VFD) that is used with their "high frequency spindle" option
  • replicating the original home/limit switch inputs
  • replicating the original +24V outputs to drive the contactors in the electrical cabinet that switch the two 120VAC outlets meant for a "dumb" router (for those who don't have the high frequency spindle / VFD) and for a vacuum (dust collector)
  • extra probe inputs: one for a tool length probe, another for a workpiece probe. There are jumpers to have each one operate off +24V or +5V, and be NPN or PNP (active high or active low). This means active sensors (inductive, etc.) are supported, as well as simple mechanical switches that close.
  • alternative servo axis connectors: DB25 / IDC26 connectors are present that allow hooking up aftermarket servo drives using either analog velocity mode, or step/direction position mode. They have encoder feedback for true closed loop, as well as two isolated outputs (typically "enable" and "alarm reset") as well as two isolated inputs (typically "drive enabled" and "alarm").
  • 6x RJ45 connectors for Mesa SmartSerial bus expansion, allowing extra I/O, jog pendants, etc.
  • DIN rail mounting holes on the motherboard itself for a convenient place to install any extra I/O modules (SmartSerial interfaced)
Here is an example of a 32-input 16-output Mesa SmartSerial expansion card:

Mesa 7i84 remote field I/O (sourcing outputs)

The kit includes:
  • the LinuxCNC retrofit motherboard, with Mesa 7i80HDT FPGA card assembled onto it
  • 8x M3 mounting screws (in case the original motherboard screws are missing)
  • an HP small form factor PC with power supply AC adapter. The PC runs LinuxCNC perfectly even while browsing the web, and it has built-in WiFi (not added via USB). It will come pre-configured to run the Gerber out-of-the-box.
  • optionally: 22" ViewSonic VA2256-MHD LCD, which is 1080p with an extremely wide viewing angle and easy to clean front due to the bezel design
  • optionally: VESA monitor arm (for above monitor)
  • optionally: wireless mouse & keyboard
You can read more about my kit on this LinuxCNC Forum post:
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/39-pncconf/46987-gerber-408-retrofit?start=20#294504

Please contact me if you are interested in this kit!
very interesting!
most people realize half way through this type of project, that they don't really have the skillset to finish, and that GOOD INTENTIONS aren't enough.

i love to modify and redesign all of my equipment, but, it comes at a cost.
recently, my accountant was surprised HOW LITTLE productive time was spent actually generating signs,

fdarling

very interesting!
most people realize half way through this type of project, that they don't really have the skillset to finish, and that GOOD INTENTIONS aren't enough.

i love to modify and redesign all of my equipment, but, it comes at a cost.
recently, my accountant was surprised HOW LITTLE productive time was spent actually generating signs,
The first machine I retrofit I did the "hard way" by using off the shelf cards, off the shelf breakout boards, and a custom acid-etched PCB to breakout the more exotic connectors. The second machine I did I used the off-the-shelf control cards, but all of the breakout boards were of my own design. When I wanted to do the third machine, the chip shortage affected the availability of the control cards... So instead I invested a bunch of time in making the dream drop-in replacement motherboard. It was a lot of work, but it makes it super easy to retrofit the machines now!

If anyone is interested buying one of these motherboards, please message me.