• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with connecting old plotter

Jean Shimp

I have an old Graphtec plotter that plugs into my old computer via a "female" connector. My old computer died. I need to plug into my new computer that does not have that type of port on the back of the computer. Can I buy some kind of adapter to plug into a UBS port on the new computer? What issues can I expect when connecting the Graphtec vinyl cutter to the new computer? Thanks.

unclebun

If I remember right, Graphtecs used a parallel port with the option to use a serial port. Either one of those can be added to the computer as long as it has an available pci or pcie slot.

decalman

I used to have a roland 24 .
The year I bought 2004. Xp was discontinued and changed to that other one ( I forgot the name) . My lap took a nap. The new lap and operating system didn't work right. Caused all kinds of aggravation. Then they changed the ports. They have all kind of port adapters for the old stuff. I'm glad to be rid of the old roland. My Summa is user friendly all around.

Jean Shimp

If I remember right, Graphtecs used a parallel port with the option to use a serial port. Either one of those can be added to the computer as long as it has an available pci or pcie slot.
What is a pci or pcie slot? I'm looking at the back of the new computer and I have what looks like USB ports.

Jean Shimp

I used to have a roland 24 .
The year I bought 2004. Xp was discontinued and changed to that other one ( I forgot the name) . My lap took a nap. The new lap and operating system didn't work right. Caused all kinds of aggravation. Then they changed the ports. They have all kind of port adapters for the old stuff. I'm glad to be rid of the old roland. My Summa is user friendly all around.
I forgot which is the paralell and which is the serial - is the male (pins poking out) the serial? The holes paralell? Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I set this thing up 20 years ago. So I would need a serial to USB or vice versa? Are the adapters bidirectional or does it not matter?

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Jean,
the parallel port is a long one, with about 25 holes/pins in 2 rows of 13 & 12. (Sometimes called a longer serial port, also known as DB-25, and RS-232)
The serial port is a shorter one - 9 holes or pins, in 2 rows of 5 & 4.
If there is short blue one with 3 rows, it'll be the VGA graphics port for a monitor.

The parallel port is what most older plotters used - and our Rolands all do.

You can buy a PCI card, (or for most newer computers, a PCI-E card), to slot onto the motherboard, to give you the needed expansion parallel or serial ports out the back.

Yes, you can get USB to serial converter leads, but I have never found one successful for any of our stuff.

Others have more success, but not me with USB to serial or parallel.
(serial leads send one piece of data at a time, parallels can send 2 sets of data at a time down the lead.)

You can get serial adapters to go from 9 to 25 pin, and some are bidirectional, and some are a null modem, with 2 pairs of wires crossed over, instead of being straight-through. There is a time when the null modems are needed, (eg on our cnc router), and a time when you just want one to make an extension, or to convert a female to male end etc.

I expect your plotter will have a parallel port lead at the PC end, and maybe even an old printer centronics plug at the plotter end.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: