• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with Dried heads on Sp300v

mendoclothing

I just bought a Roland Sp300v from a friend. I used it a few times, then left it for a month on standby. Which i thought was supposed to keep it self maintained. He told me to leave the roller lever down. I think it was supposed to be up. Just tried to print again and no ink comes out on the test prints. Did some cleanings still nothing. Everything seems to be working fine except no ink. Cuts fine. Saw some threads about rehydrating the heads, but i not sure exactly what to do. Can anybody give me step by step instructions and or pics of exactly what needs to be done to do that?
Also if the printer is going to sit for a month what is the best way to leave it?
thanks
raam

artiep

Replace the captops first and see if thats the trouble. Do a couple of power cleanings,after replacing the captops.

JET

Do the powerful cleanings as last resort. That uses a lot of ink and can damage the heads. They dry out because air gets into the caps. You should do a flushing adjustment once you get it working again. That will adjust the positionof the caps and may help solve the drying problem. But they always dry up on me after a few weeks. It is best to do a test print every few days. I also have a 4 rectangle graphic using the colors cyan, red, yellow and black that I print out. This way all the nozzles fire to print the image.

First you want to loosen the ink. Remove the 5 screws off the front cover off so you can access the drain tubes. Then remove the drain tube connections at the V and plug up both side of the tubes. You may need to cut a small section of tube to plug the plastic V.

Then move the heads to the left side ( push head to the right then to the left) and fill the cap seals with sponge up with cleaning fluid. Do not put to much in or it will overflow. Use just enough so when you put the heads back to the docking postition they will soak in fluid. Let them soak for a few hours.

Reapply the drain tubes and try a few test prints. Do not do a normal cleaning unless it still is clogged. If after the cleaning it is still clogged do the soak again and even leave it overnight if you have to.

Try test prints again and do a cleaning if needed. Also make sure the cleaning wipers are not full of dried ink. They can clog the nozzles by spreading old sticky ink on the heads.

I fit it is still clogged you can try a medium cleaning or a powerful cleaning as last resort.

DSC_3733.JPG

cleaning2.JPG

Last edited:

cheryld

Drain tubes plugged

First I thought my print head was plugged but after following your directions to clean the print head found 1 drain tube plugged. I clean it out as far up as the purge motor but don't know how much farther it is plugged. From the looks of the red ink inside it has been for more then 1 day. Can I replace the drain tubes? Do you have directions for that or is it possible after letting it sit overnight they could unplug?

Mosh

Wow, never had that problem with our rolands, and I go to the Ozarks for 1-2 months at a time and leave them off (but plugged in)

phototec

How to keep the heads from clogging

Wow, never had that problem with our rolands, and I go to the Ozarks for 1-2 months at a time and leave them off (but plugged in)

I just purchased a Roland SP540, and will only be using it a few times a week. What is the best thing to do to keep the heads from clogging if not used for a week or so? Can you be more specific about "leave them off (but plugged in)"?

Sign Works

I just purchased a Roland SP540, and will only be using it a few times a week. What is the best thing to do to keep the heads from clogging if not used for a week or so? Can you be more specific about "leave them off (but plugged in)"?

You leave the main power on at all times so that the machine cycles every 24 hours (comes on and pumps a small amount of ink through the heads to prevent them from clogging).

phototec

Thanks Sign works dfor the quick reply!

What is the best banner material to use in the Roland SP 540V, 13oz? what material?

Sign Works

Replace the captops first and see if thats the trouble. Do a couple of power cleanings,after replacing the captops.

I agree, replace the cap tops first, your heads may not even be clogged, if the captops warp and fail to seal well to the heads then the ink backs up in the lines towards the cartridges, you'll need to get a syringe to pull ink back to the heads.