• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help with font

bluekinkajou

i used to have this font now i cant find it. does any one know thw name. and/or have a copy
thanks so much

Attachments

• FONT CLIP.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 176

bluekinkajou

I should look before I leap

Thanks, I didnt read the prevous thread untill after i posted.. Duh..
I have another problem.. to many fonts on my computer. How do i add just this one or get ride of some with out loosing them all? I tried to delete some but still it wouldnt let me add any more?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
bluekinkajou said:
Thanks, I didnt read the prevous thread untill after i posted.. Duh..
I have another problem.. to many fonts on my computer. How do i add just this one or get ride of some with out loosing them all? I tried to delete some but still it wouldnt let me add any more?
You should archive all your fonts so you don't ever lose them. You will need to bring your installed fonts down to a number that your particular system can handle without running out of resources. The number I usually find to be solid is 300 to 400 fonts maximum installed at any one time.

To remove fonts, do not simply select and delete them. Use the Fonts folder accessed through the control panel and select the fonts to be removed and delete them by use the Delete command located on the File menu. This will update your registry correctly. Same Deal with installing them. Just copying them in doesn't update the registry. You must use the Install command located on the File menu.

bluekinkajou

(You should archive all your fonts ) Do I just save them in another file? will the whole font file be there when i need it? should I use Save or Copy? thanks for the help. gotta learn this stuff somehow!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, create a folder somewhere on you hard drive other than Windows and name it Font Archive or anything you like. Go to the Windows font folder and select all TrueType fonts and enter Control + C to copy them. Return to the folder you created for archiving and select it. Enter Control + V to paste them into that folder.

When you have time, copy any uninstalled fonts into your archive folder as well so you have all your fonts handy. Consider taking some time as well to sort them out in whatever way you prefer such as by manufacturer or alphabetically or by style.

Once you get it organized, burn it to a CD as a backup archive and take it to a different location for safekeeping.

bluekinkajou

Well now it says it cant move the font files, to make sure the disk is not protected,
Im just trying to move it to a file not to a disk. it says "Access Denied", Man, I hate it when it says that...
Is there some way i could have locked my fonts folder? :rolleyes:

It does say i have 882 fonts.. yikes, How in the world? and still no lousy Slipstreem.

thanks for the help I might have to get the sledge hammer after all.:help:

Dusty
Treefrog Graphics & Signs

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not sure why that would happen. Perhaps someone else may know. The method I described works on my systems.

Slipstream is not a font I would choose to have if I only had 800 fonts. There are tens of thousands of fonts in distribution ... although there are only an estimated 6,000 to 7,000 actual typestyles once you eliminate the duplication and the clones.

bluekinkajou

Is there a Font School 101 ?

I agree, but my customer had some graphics made with Slipstream before. I will make every attempt to talk him out of it. But i didnt want to admit to not having it. I was going to make a sketch up with it and some of my own ideas.

bluekinkajou

Wonder if theres a way to make the computer take more fonts? Trick it somehow? Is it matter of memory? Ive never had this problem before with other computers, do some computers allow more fonts?

thanks again

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
bluekinkajou said:
Wonder if theres a way to make the computer take more fonts? Trick it somehow? Is it matter of memory? Ive never had this problem before with other computers, do some computers allow more fonts?

thanks again

Nope ... it's a matter of RAM, processor and operating system, but they all have only so much resources available so they're all limited. Every installed font uses a small amount of those resources.

Dave Drane

Hey Blue, some programs allow you to just open a font and leave it open on the toolbar and it will recognize it from there. The beauty of this is that you don't need to have it in windows. In other words you can open up your CD from explorer find the font you want and just open it. You must however remember to convert your finished job to graphics or else the next time you open the job it will be unable to locate the font unless the same CD is in the slot.

JoySigns

Blueinkajou- usually when I get that message of "access denied" it is because a file that I've had open used some aspect of that other file. (probably accessed one of the fonts in this case), at least that is my theory. Close your programs and reboot the computer then try to do the copying/transfering. That has worked for me.

Fred, what is the relationship between the windows fonts folder and the Font Navigator program I have? Do they interact? I have never understood this.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Joy Kjer said:
Fred, what is the relationship between the windows fonts folder and the Font Navigator program I have? Do they interact? I have never understood this.

Educated guess is that they do so that when you install a font using Bitstream's Font Navigator it registers it with Windows in the process. Bitstream would be the final authority on that though.