• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with laser cutting of 1/4” Alupanel

gary_01

Hi All,

I am looking to cut a house label/number similar to the attached.
Material is 1/4” Alupanel. Sign may go upto 96 inch in length.

Can you please recommend a suitable laser cutting machine?
FYI, I have searched over the internet but couldn’t find anything specific with Alupanels and wattage required. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
718DD234-7B07-4A60-9671-D3A465E7A115.jpeg

Twisted Grafix

To cut any type of metal, you'll need a fiber laser and a really good air filtration system. Some things, like PVC, should NOT be lasered with any laser system, CO2 or fiber. Be aware that PVC creates chlorine gas that can severely hurt your lungs and/or kill you and can cause major damage to the machine. Zund would be where I would start for something that large. You can do individual letters on a smaller (and cheaper) machine from Epilog, Universal, or Trotec. They also have CO2/fiber hybrids.

Ready

Ready To Go
I would use 1/4" acrylic for that...
Are you intending to develop this area of the sign business and market this service? If not outsource this job. That's a lot of money to spend if you don't have a way to continue to use the system you're thinking of purchasing. Just sayin'!

Bob P.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Are you intending to develop this area of the sign business
I guess you meant to reply to the original poster?
We already have some lasers and a router...
But I agree- he's unsure of what it is, and how to cut it... not a good combination to be starting with. Alupanel on its own, can be cut out with just a jigsaw/scrollsaw, or even a hand router if you can control it and steer it well, like I used to for years, before we got our cnc router.

Ready

Ready To Go
I guess you meant to reply to the original poster?
We already have some lasers and a router...
But I agree- he's unsure of what it is, and how to cut it... not a good combination to be starting with. Alupanel on its own, can be cut out with just a jigsaw/scrollsaw, or even a hand router if you can control it and steer it well, like I used to for years, before we got our cnc router.
I apologize for that! I guess I need to pay attention when I do this. Just trying to give Gary_01 reasonably good advice. When I bought my present shop it had a Universal 50 watt Laser and an Vision Rotary engraver. I inherited 3 customers, not counting the store. I learned how to use the laser and was not about to take on the rotary system. Added about 4 more customers but time became the big issue. I ended up selling all the equipment and outsourced my engraving to someone specifically in that business. It has worked out well for me.

Thank you... Bob P.

mpuk

Hi All,

I am looking to cut a house label/number similar to the attached.
Material is 1/4” Alupanel. Sign may go upto 96 inch in length.

Can you please recommend a suitable laser cutting machine?
FYI, I have searched over the internet but couldn’t find anything specific with Alupanels and wattage required. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks View attachment 157858
Hi Gary, laser cutters do not work with ACM in general (as 2 different heats are required for the two different materials), this would need to be done on a CNC. Pls see the Alupanel Fabrication Guide and in particular the Appendix where there are recommendations on CNC cutting, speeds, bits etc from several global suppliers: https://www.multipaneluk.co.uk/assets/uploads/pdf/EN-Fabrication-Manual-2021.pdf (pls copy and paste into browser). This document is full of hints, tips and now media files on how to get the best out of the product. Hope that helps. MPUK