• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with my Dinosaur

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I have an old Roland SP300. It has been a work horse for 16 years! Even tho it's been mostly part time and now semi retirement work it's still amazing.
The issue that I'm have is when the print head carriage is moving left and right it is making an intermittent scraping noise.

I have checked the rails but can't see any wear marks or anything that it looks like its scraping anywhere. Has anyone had a problem like this?

I am trying to keep this printer going because since I moved up into the boonies and now semi retired I can't justify purchasing a new printer.
If this breaks and can't b fixed I will be out of the sign business.... :(

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Check the "metal sheet" around the wipers. That can make a scraping kinda sound if it's not properly in place.
You can open the window and the cover, then put dummies in the switches. Try to hear where the sound comes from.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
Check the "metal sheet" around the wipers. That can make a scraping kinda sound if it's not properly in place.
You can open the window and the cover, then put dummies in the switches. Try to hear where the sound comes from.
Thanks, I'll look at that.
Is it the cable track rubbing on the back of the machine?
No, this sounds like a metal to metal scraping sound, it has been intermittent but lately it has been more frequent and seems to be getting louder. Only when the carriage moves left and right.

Caw

Minister of Percussive Maintenance
I agree with Fbermudez, but I have 2 larger Rolands but I can say that if you take some alcohol to the belt that drives the carriage it can make a world of difference. One of mine was making the about the same noise and it was just a buildup of stuff in the teeth of the belt. It's more than likely the motor but it's always good to clean first.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The SP300 is head carriage is driven by a cable.

Go into the maintenance cleaning mode by holding down the cleaning key while turning on the front power switch. Go into cleaning and this should move the head away from the capping station. Turn off the main power in the back at this time. Move the carriage back and forth and determine where it is when making the noise.

If it is around the wiper area, it is likely hitting the silver cover balstestrat mentioned. If this is the case, insure it is pulled as far to the front as possible. If it is bent on top and hitting the carriage, you may have to remove it and "adjust" it so it doesn't hit.

If the noise is in a different area, please advise and we can go from there on suggestions.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Is it a short scrapping or a long scrapping sound?
If its long, its your scan motor like Fbermundez posted.