• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hemming Banners

p3

Yet another banner question. How do you guys ensure that your hemms are nice and straight. I'm using the tape, and I tape the side, fold it over on the tape, which it has excess. Then I fold back making an edge to cut on and cut it. I was just wondering if you guys trimmed the edges before to make sure they were all nice and straight or what.
Thanks.

gnatt66

i mark the edges out 1" and 1/16th, and trim them exactly. Then i taped the perimeter,peeled and folded from the center out watching the edge of the print for alignment. then i burnished and used a speedball brayer to make sure its applied and doesnt look wavy.

i've only done a few though, but it seemed to work well.

Rooster

I just print the front side to 1" larger all around. Trim it to that size and apply the tape to the backside along the very edge. Then I only peel back a corner of the other side of the DS tape and make sure it goes down straight and folds at 1" (width of the DS tape) on one side of the banner. Then I work my way across the hem edge burnishing the tape down as I peel the backing tape off from behind the fold. Works like a charm.

Grafix USA

I just print the front side to 1" larger all around. Trim it to that size and apply the tape to the backside along the very edge. Then I only peel back a corner of the other side of the DS tape and make sure it goes down straight and folds at 1" (width of the DS tape) on one side of the banner. Then I work my way across the hem edge burnishing the tape down as I peel the backing tape off from behind the fold. Works like a charm.

Exactly how I do it and no problems. Make sure you use a spatula or something hard to smooth the hem down after it has been initially placed. I then set my grommets and I haven't had 1 complaint yet.

ahollow

I use a slightly different approach. After trimming to size (1" larger than finish size) I turn the banner over. Butting my 4' ruler (that just happens to be 2 1/8" wide) to the edge of the vinyl, I draw a line from one end to the other. I apply the tape between the line and the edge of the banner. I then fold the edge of the banner up to the upper edge of the tape, starting in the middle and working to the ends. The extra 1/8" adds a small air pocket that allows all the air to escape when I squeegee over the seam.

This way I can see the tape; it's not on the underside as I fold, and I have a line to follow that gives me a nice straight edge, and the small gap guarantees no trapped air bubbles.

Tim Aucoin

I use a slightly different approach. After trimming to size (1" larger than finish size) I turn the banner over. Butting my 4' ruler (that just happens to be 2 1/8" wide) to the edge of the vinyl, I draw a line from one end to the other. I apply the tape between the line and the edge of the banner. I then fold the edge of the banner up to the upper edge of the tape, starting in the middle and working to the ends. The extra 1/8" adds a small air pocket that allows all the air to escape when I squeegee over the seam.

This way I can see the tape; it's not on the underside as I fold, and I have a line to follow that gives me a nice straight edge, and the small gap guarantees no trapped air bubbles.

:thumb:

PMG

:thumb::thumb: that the way i doz it as well!!!:rock-n-roll:

Rooster

Exactly how I do it and no problems. Make sure you use a spatula or something hard to smooth the hem down after it has been initially placed. I then set my grommets and I haven't had 1 complaint yet.

I use an old roller I had laying around from the days of old. I used to use it for burnishing down type when we used to have to lay it down with a wax adhesive prior to the days of all this new fangled electronic pre-press. Although if I get lazy my thumb works just as good. It just gets sore after about three 4x8's

Tim Aucoin

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Just tried this method on two 8' banners and it's easily three times faster than the "old" method I was using... It's gonna save me tons of time next week, as I have an order for nineteen 4' x 14' banners for Stampede. Thanks ahollow! That's what this forum is all about. :clapping:

Bigdawg

Just Me
I print banners one inch larger, slap 1" tape with backing on around the edges (I put a .25 pt rule as my outside border when i print so I can easily trim it with a straight edge)

Starting on a long edge we fold it over on the seam to make a crease going from one end to the other then walk back the other way while laying down the edge fairly gently, pulling the backing off the tape at an angle as I go. I then use a roller from the middle out to each side and then I'm good to go on the next edge.

pure_media

alright i'm gonna try to bring this thread back from the dead!! hey i made a rhyme!!
Alright, thats what I do. I use the tape and i get it down just fine, all flat, not wrinkels or creases....but....once im done with the first one, after all the grommits, i overlap it over on eachother like a letter and put it off to the side on a table. I later look at it, after im done with the second banner, and where it's curved over at the overlap there is bunching and wrinkeling.
What can be done with this? Does the glue need to be settled for an amount of time? my guess is the glue is pulling in on itself and pulling the banner material in with it. Should i just let the banner lay out flat, that's a little difficult if im doing 3 10ft banners.