• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here is a great tip for you guys

ams

I don't know if this is available everywhere, but ZTE makes a device called Cruise Connect. I have US Cellular and they only charge $10/month for it. Here is just a few things it does.

-Fully tracks the vehicles route by google maps, shows where it left from, where it stopped, which roads it took, etc.

-Logs the time of when the vehicle was turned on, how long it's been running, how long it took to get to the place it was going, etc.

-It shows the miles it traveled, like 11.7 miles total for the trip. Plus the miles between each point.

-It shows you a real time map, so you can see where the vehicle is at that exact second.

-It shows you how much fuel was used and how much the vehicle has in it.

-It has Wifi Hotspot built in, so if you don't want to use roaming data you can piggy back off the wifi from it for free data use.

-It logs the top speed, average speed, etc of the vehicle and if the vehicle broke the speed limit and by how much.

-It logs excessive braking and acceleration, to see if the vehicle is being abused or reckless.

There is so much more, download reports, it instantly updates you on your cell phone, you can check it on a computer, there is a couple dozen more things as well. But all of this for $10/month and the device through US Cellular is $189, which you can buy or just set it up on a monthly plan, if you do the monthly plan it's $5/month until it's paid off.

I was given a 15 day test period at no charge to just play with it. I am a believer and it was accurate. Of course if you are in a dead zone it won't update until you are out of it.

By the way if you got say 3 of them for 3 different vehicles (you can use the same one for multiple vehicles too if you wanted) on your app, it automatically names the year/make/model of the vehicle, but you can say like "Bucket Truck, or Howard's Van" or anything like that to better identify. So all of them can run at the same time and you will get alerts and updates on each vehicle.

I hope this is helpful, I will be doing this soon. If you need any help with it or questions, let me know.

EDIT: Sorry wasn't paying attention to where I posted this, it may need to be moved. It's sign related but not sign making.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, now Big Brother can tell where you are... in and out of your vehicle. They can watch your every move. And then, you pay to have them do this to you. Yep, that's the ticket. Oops, click it or ticket.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
So, now Big Brother can tell where you are... in and out of your vehicle. They can watch your every move. And then, you pay to have them do this to you. Yep, that's the ticket. Oops, click it or ticket.

One of my customers got fired from his job because they put something like this on their shop cars and found out he was going home for a few hours instead of installing signs! There is a value to this device. But I agree about big brother getting too much info on us. I'll be a crazy mountain man by the time I'm 50 I swear.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you have a modern automobile, or a cell phone, or travel any substantial public road, your being tracked already... This device isn't doing something that's already being done.

Some lady called me a few years ago complaining that one of my trucks was doing 70mph down highway 80 (speed limit 50) and that he cut her off... I said oh really, 70? She said yes, 70...flying down the road reckless. I said, "well mam, that 70 was actually 55, and you can't go 30 in the fast lane" She then hung up....lying ass people

equippaint

Not only are you feeding google info you are providing fuel for attorneys.
A bit off topic here... I had a guy come in looking for part time work. All of this was a verbal conversation. He's in school now and we got talking about how he was going to go to law school, Barry was on his list and I had a friend that went there. I went on and told him that I had seriously considered getting my MBA about 10 years ago and never followed through. Anyways, ever since then, I have been getting popup ads for... Barry University MBA program. This is not the only example but this sealed the deal for me but this is long winded enough. I have everything off on my phone including GPS because of this stuff. I have nothing to hide either but its the principal.
While we are at it, I like using google street view but really hate the fact that someone can just look you up and scope out where you live and the lay of the land.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Logistics...... you really wanna pay extra to make it even easier ?? Companies have this stuff installed in a lotta vehicles, for the very reason Vander mentioned. I don't need it or want it, as the government does not need to know my every move. They're too busy guarding your wall down there and keeping those crazy Canadians out up above.

Ya know, a pencil and paper is a lot cheaper jotting down your log, then paying all that money, unless one lacks the ability and dicipline to do such a feat.

equippaint

If you have a modern automobile, or a cell phone, or travel any substantial public road, your being tracked already... This device isn't doing something that's already being done.

Some lady called me a few years ago complaining that one of my trucks was doing 70mph down highway 80 (speed limit 50) and that he cut her off... I said oh really, 70? She said yes, 70...flying down the road reckless. I said, "well mam, that 70 was actually 55, and you can't go 30 in the fast lane" She then hung up....lying *** people
When I was an invincible 19, I drove a truck over the summer and on a run back from Miami, my boss got the same call that his truck was doing over 80 in a construction zone. He chewed on me and I said BS, its governed at 73 and he agreed. He told the caller that too and I can only imagine how aggravated they were. Funny thing was that he didn't know I had taken his new rig and that sucker would get it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do they make a portable unit that could track what employees do around the shop and in the bathroom?
NO video - audio would be plenty good.

ams

But seriously, some insurance companies will drop your rates with it and when it comes to taxes, the mileage helps make it go faster. When it comes to firing an employee and they file for unemployment, you can win the case with proof.

Just throwing it out there.

bannertime

We've got GPS units from OneStepGPS. The OBD2 unit does all the above (minus wifi hostspot) as well as send you the diagnostic codes for CELs. Some we've got wired directly into the battery and hidden inside the truck or trailer. It allowed us to see that one of our installers was also going home to pick up his lady and go do jobs. Which, I don't necessarily care about, but he lied about why he was an hour late to the first job for that day. If I can't trust you, you can't work for me.

We also found out another employee was using our truck to pick up junk to sell at scrap yards, among other things.

Been pretty happy with them. No complaints at least. No contracts. A friend has units from another company on all his trucks, did a three year contract at like $30 a truck. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard that. He also paid like $200 a piece for hardware. There are some disgusting places out there.

equippaint

Do they make a portable unit that could track what employees do around the shop and in the bathroom?
NO video - audio would be plenty good.
We went in a customers shop the other day and they had a box outside the bathroom with a sign on it that said put your phone in here when you poop.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Take a look at the Automatic Pro Obd tracker.
Most of the same options and is $129 and lasts for 5 years with no monthly fees.

StarSign

It is just sad we have to do this to keep people honest. We had a installer who would go to the install then go shopping, go home for a break, pick up the kids, then come back to the shop.

decalman

Big brother already has everything about us through our androids.
It's all stockpiled in Colorado.
What harm can an additional GPS do.
We're already on the map.
Even the 12 dollar flip phones track our location .

equippaint

We went out to lunch yesterday and 2 student pilots sat down at the table next to us. I opened up this site and the ad up top was for united airlines flight school tuition reimbursement.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We went out to lunch yesterday and 2 student pilots sat down at the table next to us. I opened up this site and the ad up top was for united airlines flight school tuition reimbursement.
Were you sitting at the United lunch counter?