• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here's a funny layout request.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Salesperson was contacted about making 2 signs. One is to be a 2-3ft square 3mm ACM & 1 4ft x 8ft 3mm ACM. Sample files were provided for verbiage. The 2x2 is a word document & the 4x8 is a pdf file. The 2x2 is pretty straight forward so no problems with the layout. The pdf for the 4x8 comes in at roughly 6" x 5.5". Fairly easy to scale up to fit the 4x8 with some moving around and minor tweaks. Salesperson sends the client the proofs. Here's the reply. Keep in mind this person works for a military contracting company probably making twice what I do.

p.s. I don't use pt size in my layouts. I use inches and at those sizes the layout would be the original 6" x 5.5" on a 4ft x 8ft sign.
What the...! Who the...!

1669214154574.png

unclebun

You can either explain to them that they are looking at point size on their computer screen at what is likely 8"x11.5" and when you go up to the actual size sign the letters need to scale up accordingly, or you can redraw the sign to scale, using the 48 pt and smaller type and send it for a proof, indicating that you have used the exact point sizes they requested.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is it that they are more concerned with fonts and sizes than the actual layout?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm praying whoever made that sign request for Eglin AFB isn't involved with any aircraft operations. Obviously they do not know how to math.

It's far more common for civilians to demonstrate their lack of geometry skills or awareness of concepts like aspect ratio when dictating specific fonts and specific sign panel sizes. I don't see it quite as often from military people. But they sure do love passing off PowerPoint PPT files as "artwork."

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The whole thing is silly from different points of view, but I always thought the zulus were in africa...... not florida ??
That was my first thought. They are the real original Zulus. They have one of the languages with the clicks.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I'm praying whoever made that sign request for Eglin AFB isn't involved with any aircraft operations. Obviously they do not know how to math.

It's far more common for civilians to demonstrate their lack of geometry skills or awareness of concepts like aspect ratio when dictating specific fonts and specific sign panel sizes. I don't see it quite as often from military people. But they sure do love passing off PowerPoint PPT files as "artwork."

In defense of my military comrades, this came from a civilian not an active duty military person. They work for a military contractor. And the reason they provide ppt files is that is usually the only office programs they're authorized to have on their computers. Design is not their primary job and usually told by higher-ups to put something together.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
In defense of my military comrades, this came from a civilian not an active duty military person. They work for a military contractor. And the reason they provide ppt files is that is usually the only office programs they're authorized to have on their computers. Design is not their primary job and usually told by higher-ups to put something together.

Having worked as a military contractor almost 20 years ago, this is true. Only save for me was that I was hired as a graphic designer and would "template" any PPT presentations before they were sent out and I could also have CorelDraw and Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator on my machine, since I also did each installations logo work.
Most of the military's graphics are produced on the outside.