• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from Canada

Jazmyn

Hi everyone !

Just registered here - I've been doing a lot of reading the last couple of days and have found a ton of information from you folks.

I've been applying vinyl on our own construction equipment and racecars (supplied by a sign shop) - Now I'm going to start cutting it myself.

Just in the process of setting up my shop - picking a cutter. etc.
Trying to figure out everything I'll need and what is best to start with.

I hope down the road to grow into printed graphics as well.

Any help, suggestions, ideas, anything you can offer will be appreciated.

:thankyou:

Yeah - RUN!!!! Far far away! !LOL!

Once it starts to get into your blood, so does the "gots-ta-have"!

Welcome. You will have fun here. As for equipment, well the opinions are all over the place. Your safest bet is to stick to proven name brands THAT a local supplier carries - enabling you to get that very much needed start-up supportr.

Jazmyn

Thanks for the support !

The cutter I'm looking at is the Graphtec CE-3000MK2-60 (24") and it comes with cut software.
I have a supplier approx 30 min away.

I think the 24" will do what I want to do to start. I had considered the 30" but I'm not seeing it being necessary at this time.

I already have CorelDraw 9. I'm considering either updating it to X3
or buying SignLab. Not sure which would be best way to go.

Any opinions on these ?

Thanks.

Graphtec is a good unit.

Until you know what you are going to do - use the X3. SignLab is good and worth the money. You may want to even consider calling Ordway (link at the bottom) and looking at SignLab OE. It will only use TTF fonts, but it is very much like SL5, exceptthat it runs on XP without any difficulties.

Also to add some flair to your work, look at signfonts.com (another member here) BEFORE you get real font crazy with all of those duplicated freebies.

Basically look at the bottom of the pages. Those vendors that you see will be very helpgul and their integrity is second to none.

Next question.........................

Jazmyn

Great info ! Thanks again.

My next question would be on vinyl recommendations for vehicles

I've installed 3M and Avery6. Don't know anything about Oracal

Any suggestions which you feel is best ?

I'm hoping to set up my business mainly for racecars right now -
There seems to be a market here for someone to concentrate on them,
and with racing ourselves, I have a lot of contacts
(potential customers :wink: )

If you want to talk the best - 3M holds that spot. They also get the price. For specialty, like reflective, we only trust 3M - the only basis is reputation, never any problems, and habit.

Oracal has a good reputation. We do not use it becasue our distributor does not carry it.They carry Neschen and MacTac - both have been very good to us.

If you stick to name brands (MacTac, 3M, Neschen, Universal, Oracal) you will be fine. Stay far AWAY from EBay vinyl! We do not use Avery but many have reported trouble with it. Maybe there is a bunch in the supply chain - don't know, don't use it.

You have an "in" for racing - good.

Points to remember:

1. Charge for design time - they will drive you nuts with changes.
2. Get paid up front, or 50/50. There always seems to be an issue with the car that keeps them from having the money to pay you.
3. Be careful of the "sponsorships". You can alienate other racers by doing that. Also the "name for vinyl" does not equate to dollars in your pocket.

Jazmyn

I have access to 3M, Avery & Oracal close by.
The others you mentioned I'll have to search for other suppliers.

Thanks for the suggestions and the tips on points to remember !

Well it's 9:25pm here - Time for me to say goodnight for now.

I'll have lots more questions to torture people with in the coming days :Big Laugh

:thankyou: again for your assistance - It's much appreciated.

No need to waste your time looking for others. If you have 3M and Oracal available to you - you will have what you need.

As for questions, try and search the forum first. This will render immediate answers, if a question has been previously asked. You will still have many questions that have not been asked, and some of the answers that you find will even be confusing at first - so by all means, do ask when you need to?

BTW, where in Canada?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Welcome Jazmyn!
For racecars we use the Oracal 651 vinyl - main reason being the vinyl usually outlasts the car!!! Just don't see a need for cast vinyl for the short-term car graphics. Just a thought for consideration.

Jazmyn

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
No need to waste your time looking for others. If you have 3M and Oracal available to you - you will have what you need.

As for questions, try and search the forum first. This will render immediate answers, if a question has been previously asked. You will still have many questions that have not been asked, and some of the answers that you find will even be confusing at first - so by all means, do ask when you need to?

BTW, where in Canada?

I've been doing what you suggested - searching for info on the forum
Hopefully I won't miss something and re-ask a question about it.
If I do, I apologize in advance. :wink:

I'm in Eastern Ontario

Thanks to all for the great welcome !!
So far I'm finding this board amazing ! You folks are so informative & willing to help others.
I know I'm really appreciating all the info I'm reading and I'm sure I'll be relying on our help with this new adventure.

:thankyou:

Jazmyn

BigdawgDesign said:
Welcome Jazmyn!
For racecars we use the Oracal 651 vinyl - main reason being the vinyl usually outlasts the car!!! Just don't see a need for cast vinyl for the short-term car graphics. Just a thought for consideration.

Thanks for the tip !!

I can relate to the vinyl needing to be replaced often due to damage - especially in certain areas on the car :wink: :Big Laugh

You mean you really ARE in Canada :Big Laugh (I know I will hear it from other members in the other provinces :Big Laugh )

Trust me, it is a lot of information to absorb and you may very well forget some of what you read (aside from just missing).

Questions are not a problem here, so please do not apologize.

The "search" is just an alternate way of sometimes getting more in-depth answers. Sort of like a reference encyclopedia.

On occasion you will see or find a "hot button" issue. Some of us, including myself, are very outspoken. Even so - DO NOT take any of you see/hear, or maybe even told, to heart. Some of us, like myself, will not walk around with "kid gloves". (Example of HB issue would be pirated software and clipart - some searching will inform you of the do's and don'ts. Another would be calling Flame Master a kid - he hates that :biggrin:, but he is a decent kid. (sorry Flame :Big Laugh - you know I just had to))