• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High quality or standard?

Creative_Lance

I know this question seems to have been asked on here one way or another, i have been using the "High Quality" on the VP-540 lately on almost everything, with the new intelligent pass control upgrade, i know they say the printer will be faster by 50% but i still do the high quality! i guess it's because all my signs/banners are seen closely, i still would like to know which setting everyone uses the most.

kustom.printing

I am new here so take my thoughts lightly.

It would depend on how close you where viewing the print, high quality for up-close items and medium for banners far way.

(signs/banners are seen closely), so it depends how much difference you can see in the print as that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Seeing as you are printing large items up-close I would probably stick to high quality.

vctradingcubao

Someone from another forum posted that ink consumption would still be the same whether you use "high quality" or "standard mode", only the speed would be different. Is this true?

kustom.printing

Why would a slower speed increase quality.

It is the amount of ink drops per square inch that affect's the quality, so each level increases this so more ink usage.

720 x 720dpi Medium

1080 x 1080 dpi High

jasonx

Your assumingng that the size of the dots remains the same under the different resolution settings.

zmatalucci

I rarely ever use high quality.
And banners are never, never printed on anything other than high speed. Banners are short term temp signage, not museum pieces. High speed produces excellent quality, and I've never recieved anything but positive praise.

D

Digitall

On glossy banners I get excellant results using billboard setting, and man does it fly.

Replicator

Standard for most banners . . . Billboard for giant banners.

High quality for most small decals.

High quality for window perf.

B Snyder

Same here. Banners on high speed and/or billboard. These two jobs were printed on LG Bannux with the billboard setting.

Attachments

• 0310092112.jpg
    0310092112.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 0217091646.jpg
    0217091646.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 92

SOA

we used to print most things on high quality to,untill we had 3 days at the roland academy...........they go on alot about how fast you should be printing and taught us about 'media feed calibration'. Where you can slow down how much media is pulled through which helps stop banding, and it uses less ink!

Menu > Calibration > Setting

Vinyl can range from +0.10% to +0.25%

Banner is around +0.65% to +1.40%

Have a play with it,we found we got near high quality prints @ standard quality speed!

anotherdog

It depends on time.
If there isn't any rush I print the highest, Doesn't really cost more. Even though the only person who will see it close before it goes up is the customer...Thats sort of the point, to wow the customer.
Of course when I'm rushed, standard.

petepaz

we have a sp300 and vp540 and 90% of the time we use standard print and we do some small delac/labels and these machines
if you are printing signs, banners, poster i don't think you ever have to use the high quality
i have noticed on some materials the high quality is needed but very few and the peed is a big difference from standard to high

lav

Im the same as redhartgraphics we used to print either standard or high quality but after experimenting with different brands of media and setting the calibration and heat settings up correctly Im getting better prints now on high speed than I was on standard before.

I hardly ever use high quality now, my customers cant tell the difference even close up

signpro

Manager
i use medium for almost everything vinyl.
MOST banners get done on highspeed, unless it's an actual image i'm using, then usually medium (or high if it's for me or a friend)

NEVER had a complaint on the medium or highspeed for banners.

even this one for a trade show booth (8ftx9ft) was run on medium only, and the customer LOVED IT!!! the picture is crappy quality, and looks washed out... but in real life it looks amazing.

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 89

signpro

Manager
saving on ink as well on most machines. probably not a huge savings... but if you're using it all the time, High vs Low, you'll probably save a noticable amount