• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Tack Vinyl for a tank

Retro Graphics

Greetings all, I'm new to the forums, although I've been playing in the sign world off and on for 20 years. I currently have a client that is renting an 8x8 armored transport (it's a tank without the turret). The paint they use on these makes magnets unusable. I originally slapped some Avery 700 series vinyl on it just to test standard adhesive and it peeled off pretty easily, easier than freshly laid, not pressure activated vinyl wrap. So my question is, what would be some high tack vinyls that would be good to use? I'm using a 64" UV printer. I will not be laminating as this is a short term job. Although maybe printing on the lamination is a better option.

I had reached out to my vendors and one (TyrellTech) responded with some options.These are the 3 items they suggested as possibilities. Not sure if any of these are marine grade or if there is even such a thing as marine grade.

GF20154150HTAP
GFI Matte White 5yr High Tack 54" x 150'
$187.95

There is an air egress version of this one as well to dissipate bubbles:
GF20154150HTAPAE
GFI Matte White 5yr High Tack Air Egress 54" x 150'
$212.95

4082-5415-002
Arlon DPF 8200 High Tack - 3.5-mil Premium Calendared Film, Satin White, Clear High Tack Permanent PSA 54" X 50yds
$407.95

Is laminate tend to be more tack than general vinyl?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Attachments

• side profile.jpg
    side profile.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 159

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had something, similar some years back, we hadda hand paint everything. If that's outta the question, try banners and tie them on.

Retro Graphics

Where can I rent one of these!?
How long/far is the vinyl expected to last? If not banners, you may mount to panels and tie them on with wire.
Laminate tends to be more aggressive, just less forgiving. Also, clear, so without white ink, you can't do much.

They will only be on a couple months and done. My UV printer does print white ink so that's not an issue and I probably need an excuse to burn up some of the white too.

Retro Graphics

We had something, similar some years back, we hadda hand paint everything. If that's outta the question, try banners and tie them on.

Unfortunately, it will potentially be exposed to heavy winds, so banner tie-on's aren't really an option. We are looking at doing several large decals for sponsors.

Retro Graphics

Wouldn't the same stuff that tacks on to bricks work on this surface as well.. Maybe?

I don't know what that would be. I always use a solid substrate (i.e. Aluminum, AMA, FiberBoard) when installing on a brick wall. If you have something you'd recommend I'm all ears.