• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiring professional installer in Middle TN area

judead

Just curious. I have tried hiring someone that is a professional installer/vehicle wrapper and have offered from 12-18 an hour but have had nothing but people calling the shop with no experience wanting me to train them. If I have to go the route of training a installer which I don't want to do is there a science or something to look for that tells you whether someone green is not worth showing the trade? I feel I can spot them but figured some outside advice might be nice.

Thanks,

Adam

thesignexpert

We have a testing / practice station for everyone who may be involved with wrap installs. We provide the film, tools, solvents... everything they need to wrap. The surface tests flat, basic curves, compound curves, rivets, irregular surface, trimming etc. It is pretty challenging on multiple levels and allows me the opportunity to evaluate applicants and their skills (or lack thereof) pretty quickly. It also gives me a chance to talk with them about techniques, their strategies and why they tackled a particular area a certain way etc.

Z SIGNS

McDonalds is going to be paying 15 bucks an hr

Just curious. I have tried hiring someone that is a professional installer/vehicle wrapper and have offered from 12-18 an hour but have had nothing but people calling the shop with no experience wanting me to train them. If I have to go the route of training a installer which I don't want to do is there a science or something to look for that tells you whether someone green is not worth showing the trade? I feel I can spot them but figured some outside advice might be nice.

Thanks,

Adam[/QUOTE

Adam
What do you really think your going to get for 12 bucks an hour ?

judead

Thanks,

Adam[/QUOTE

Adam
What do you really think your going to get for 12 bucks an hour ?

Well I had figured if they were green they would get around the 12 an hour range. 18 should get a good installer? Anyone have thoughts on a pay scale? Keep in mind I don't live in New Jersey so cost of living is really low here. I mean honestly 16 to 18 should get you a pretty good installer I would think...

judead

We have a testing / practice station for everyone who may be involved with wrap installs. We provide the film, tools, solvents... everything they need to wrap. The surface tests flat, basic curves, compound curves, rivets, irregular surface, trimming etc. It is pretty challenging on multiple levels and allows me the opportunity to evaluate applicants and their skills (or lack thereof) pretty quickly. It also gives me a chance to talk with them about techniques, their strategies and why they tackled a particular area a certain way etc.

Do you have a picture of the test station?

That is a pretty good idea.

thesignexpert

Do you have a picture of the test station?

That is a pretty good idea.

Here is what we have. It's not fancy but it is certainly effective.

Attachments

• DSC02424.JPG
    DSC02424.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02425.JPG
    DSC02425.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02426.JPG
    DSC02426.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 94

HulkSmash

Thanks,

Adam[/QUOTE

Adam
What do you really think your going to get for 12 bucks an hour ?[/QUOTE

12-18 an hr is exceptional salary for an average installer.
And yes Training from 0 seems to be the way to go.

jtinker

Owner
is the test to wrap that thing in one piece. Because im looking at it and it looks......more than a little challenging.

Just Me

most good installers out of the Nashville area or the Atlanta area charge per vehicle not the hour, as like most things you get what you pay for!

thesignexpert

is the test to wrap that thing in one piece. Because im looking at it and it looks......more than a little challenging.

Yep. I typically will let an applicant ignore the recessed area to test but pretty much everything else.

I think it is important to not just have the skills but also have an understanding of the principles of wrapping. I want my guys to be forewarned and trained in handling all sorts of difficult surfaces and also know WHY the film works certain ways. You would be amazed at what what you can handle once you comprehend the core principles.

thesignexpert

it's a generic big cab fender with rivets pressed into it.

This :thumb:

It was originally from another project and was in an accident. I saw a perfect opportunity to turn it into a great practice/test piece. We supported the backside of the crack with .080 aluminum and put standard rivets in because we deal with a lot of commercial vehicles.