• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Holy Cow, Yard Stakes have really jumped!

binki

I had a large supply of them but holy cow they are up over 30% on my reorder! We have been raising prices on a few things but this is really getting ridiculous.

Gas is at nearly $7/gal for premium (that is what I have to run) and even if I could do regular it is $6.60. That is double what it was 3 years ago.

All of our suppliers have been upping their prices but we have held ours but no more. We lost one really big account over that as well. I don't know what they are doing but I know they have shopped us around and we were only making 10% on their orders. That doesn't seem like a lot but we subbed it out, soup to nuts, for no work at all. It was free money. Now that is gone.

Just a little venting.... We are still busy though. Just at a higher price point.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Not surprising really. Farming isn't doing all that much better either with the new regs out there. Not surprising that the population has been moving out of California increasing every year for about a decade now (with negative growth I think the past 2 or 3 yrs). That is with essentially single party governance since the 90s, mid to late 90s I think.

For people not to care though, that just shows how much people don't care about being civic minded (and regardless to what "your" leanings are, that isn't a good thing). To each their own.

EDIT to add: I actually have known a few people to alter the PCM on their vehicles to accept the different timing for the lower grade fuel. Now, they aren't cheap, can forget about your warranty, if you have one on your vehicle, but I have known some people to do that. If fuel goes much higher, the cost to recoup on the custom tuners actually won't take long at all., But Cali can hammer down pretty hard on people running those in the state. Even with de-tuning, the assumption is most do it to enhance power, not restrict it.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
EDIT to add: I actually have known a few people to alter the PCM on their vehicles to accept the different timing for the lower grade fuel. Now, they aren't cheap, can forget about your warranty, if you have one on your vehicle, but I have known some people to do that. If fuel goes much higher, the cost to recoup on the custom tuners actually won't take long at all., But Cali can hammer down pretty hard on people running those in the state. Even with de-tuning, the assumption is most do it to enhance power, not restrict it.
cars automatically retard timing for pre-ignition caused from low octane fuel or carbon build up with a knock sensor. You don't need any tuner

WildWestDesigns

very expensive. Those are DUI-mobiles and are in very high demand down here
Around here, DUI-mobiles are mowers/tractors. Think George Jones.
cars automatically retard timing for pre-ignition caused from low octane fuel or carbon build up with a knock sensor. You don't need any tuner
From an efficiency stand point, yes you do. You have the anti-knock adjustments which is what you are talking about, but that isn't the same thing as to what custom tuning will do. What you are talking about are very small adjustments. Mainly to handle fluctuations in fuel, not more consistent use of a different octane/quality/however you want to look at it.

dypinc

Not surprising really. Farming isn't doing all that much better either with the new regs out there. Not surprising that the population has been moving out of California increasing every year for about a decade now (with negative growth I think the past 2 or 3 yrs). That is with essentially single party governance since the 90s, mid to late 90s I think.

For people not to care though, that just shows how much people don't care about being civic minded (and regardless to what "your" leanings are, that isn't a good thing). To each their own.

They could kill enough people with covid or the vaccines so I guess starving is next.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Around here, DUI-mobiles are mowers/tractors. Think George Jones.

From an efficiency stand point, yes you do. You have the anti-knock adjustments which is what you are talking about, but that isn't the same thing as to what custom tuning will do. What you are talking about are very small adjustments. Mainly to handle fluctuations in fuel, not more consistent use of a different octane/quality/however you want to look at it.
People get tuners to get more power from their engine. Cars come from factory "detuned" to meet EPA. There is nothing illegal about tuning.

WildWestDesigns

People get tuners to get more power from their engine. Cars come from factory "detuned" to meet EPA. There is nothing illegal about tuning.
As I said, most people do, especially if you get the "canned" tunes, all of those are for more performance. Custom tunes, which is what I'm talking about, since with those canned tunes wanting more performance, almost always going to have to take advantage of that higher octane, are a totally different animal.

Last time I messed with this was with the 6.0PSD era (I had a 6.0). People were detuning that out the ying yang with custom tunes due to the issues that they had with the EGR gumming up with factory tunes (in fact, 2003-2004, the trucks were more powerful from the factory compared to the later years, although with a slightly bigger turbo). While I enjoyed my 6.0, that was a headache for Ford.

Back in 2008, the guy that specialized in 6.0 tunes, was also doing custom tunes for gas burners that wanted to be able to run the cheaper octane over the long haul.

As to what is in bold, is that a mistake? In fact, Edge even has a dedicated California approved tuner. So yes, there are concerns there (when I was active in this, there wasn't a California edition for anything, they mainly had a warning that it was illegal for on road use in California).

Last edited:
I guess adding these things into your invoices will likely be just like the ones we're all receiving from our vendors. Trickle down economics.

WildWestDesigns

I'm not sure Wild west that you understand how octane works.
Well to be honest, I am a diesel guy.

Had my 6.0PSD, Stage 1 injectors, 64mm turbo, upgrade fuel pump, upgrade tranny, stock gaskets, but ARP studs (the issue on the stock 6.0s actually was the TTY bolts, plus the over zealous tuning in the 03-04 models lead to a lot of leaking heads back in those days, not the gaskets, although people will usually say gaskets as that's easier to wrap their heads around) putting down 508HP on all four rear wheels. I miss that truck. Had a bone stock '14 6.7, it was OK, but with everything that they added (regulation induced), it created more issues compared to solving them. It ate injectors like they were nothing as well.

Now my first truck, 6.9 diesel (Ford), rattle the teeth out of your head, but boy was that a fun ride.