• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Holy Cow, Yard Stakes have really jumped!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Well to be honest, I am a diesel guy.

Had my 6.0PSD, Stage 1 injectors, 64mm turbo, upgrade fuel pump, upgrade tranny, stock gaskets, but ARP studs (the issue on the stock 6.0s actually was the TTY bolts, plus the over zealous tuning in the 03-04 models lead to a lot of leaking heads back in those days, not the gaskets, although people will usually say gaskets as that's easier to wrap their heads around) putting down 508HP on all four rear wheels. I miss that truck. Had a bone stock '14 6.7, it was OK, but with everything that they added (regulation induced), it created more issues compared to solving them. It ate injectors like they were nothing as well.

Now my first truck, 6.9 diesel (Ford), rattle the teeth out of your head, but boy was that a fun ride.
the 6.0 was designed for 195-210 HP as the base engine in International trucks. It replaced the T444E which had replaced the 7.3 idi which replaced the 6.9, both of which were gutless turds. Actually, all of them were gutless turds. The 7.3 powerstroke was overrated, pickup people loved them but that is likely because that was the first ford diesel that became mainstream next to the cummins which was packaged in a crap truck. The 7.3 powerstroke broke and cost as much to fix as any other diesel, we were replacing them at 100k in service trucks, then switched to gas. The other option was a 6.5 pile of garbage. The T444E is the same as the 7.3 powerstroke and was HATED in the medium duty truck market, it's funny how that works. Anyways, Ford pushed International to up the HP on these engines in order to compete in the Big 3's race to nowhere with their diesel offerings. Needless to say, that jump from 195 to 325 HP did not do them any justice and then the idiots tuning and beating the snot out of them really gave them a bad name. The engine itself was good, the fuel system sucked. You can't give away a medium duty truck with a VT365 (6.0). In the VT365 form, they werent stretching head studs and having the issues the pickup idiots were having, it was more injection and emissions related. If you want any vehicle to last, don't beat on it. The 6.0 got a bum wrap from this.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
They could kill enough people with covid or the vaccines so I guess starving is next.

It was actually the first thing I thought of when taking all these different factors and coming to a conclusion. A leaner nation will mean less health issues with cardio, heart, diabetes, etc. Since people, in general, can't stick to rationing themselves, they will now have necessities rationed out to them by driving up prices and forcing them to have to cut back.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So, all that pressure about conserving water and having a tiered water bill when only 10% is consumed by urban? They make it sound like if you take a 10 minute shower that you are the problem with California's water.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
I’m sure my installers can get by with a golf cart….. anyone got suggestions on how to rig a small lift?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
and party and get more tail than the young people
D2_7rJcXcAMEHz3.jpg_large.jpg

WildWestDesigns

the 6.0 was designed for 195-210 HP as the base engine in International trucks.
Different market. That's what ended up costing Navistar a lot of headache.

It replaced the T444E which had replaced the 7.3 idi which replaced the 6.9, both of which were gutless turds.

But very easy to work on (and modify mechanically), especially compared to the 6.0 and later. I avoided the 6.4 due to what one had to do in the engine, although it was slightly better compared to my having to use my friends lift for the work that I did on my 6.0.
Another thing that does taint my memory is that that 6.9 was my grandpa's truck.

Actually, all of them were gutless turds. The 7.3 powerstroke was overrated, pickup people loved them but that is likely because that was the first ford diesel that became mainstream next to the cummins which was packaged in a crap truck.

And that is why one had the Destroked kits. Cummins was ok as an engine, I do prefer v8s versus inline 6s, but that's me. Cummins was definitely better down low, PSDs liked it a bit higher (on my tow/street tune we managed to get the rpm down lower compared to stock 6.0). I liked the cummins that I had in town, but hated it on the highway, vice versus with the stock Ford PSDs that I had.

The 7.3 powerstroke broke and cost as much to fix as any other diesel, we were replacing them at 100k in service trucks, then switched to gas.

The PSDs 7.3 or the IDI? Only issue I recall with the PSD versions is the ICP sensor and people just kept a spare in the glove box. They also took tunes better compared to the 6.0 (canned tunes at that). I would say it was due to the lack of an EGR system as well (some did and some didn't come with cats though). That wasn't gumming up the turbo. I know of plenty of 7.3 PSDs that were long past 100k and still in service.

Ironically, I think it was this ability of the 7.3 to handle the cheaper modifications led people to also have their issues with the 6.0. Not the automaker's fault, I just think that it was a perfect storm that affect that engine.

Needless to say, that jump from 195 to 325 HP did not do them any justice and then the idiots tuning and beating the snot out of them really gave them a bad name. The engine itself was good, the fuel system sucked.

There were a lot of things going on. You had people that thought trucks were the it thing to have, so here they were using trucks for grocery getters. Combine that with people still thinking that you could idle them like diesels of old, that lead to more EGR issues. Way around that was a high idle (which could easily be done using one of the upfitter switches or you could actually do that via tuning as well).

The bolts were the big issue and how they were torque. If they weren't torqued correctly that could also lead to issues combined with other things as well (EGR gumming up, people beating on them etc).

The fuel system did suck, why I upgrade to a FASS system. No way the stock system could handle that load that I was doing. And of course, most people didn't use fuel gauges, I don't recall the truck's computer had that read out (as far as a live readout with a numerical value), while I used mainly analog autometer gauges, I did have a digital gauge that I read what info I could from the computer. Now, either that digital gauge couldn't pull fuel pressure or it wasn't available period for the 6.0.

I think one of the biggest disservices that auto makers do is have those dummy clusters. I heard some of the argument that people won't know the range, so they may call and take up the service shops time if the engine got a little hot, but it was well within normal temps. On one way, I can see that, but abstracting that away from the owner isn't the way of helping with that.

If you want any vehicle to last, don't beat on it. The 6.0 got a bum wrap from this.
They could take a beating in Ford's stock form, if people allowed them to get up to warm up temperature. Their ability to take more stress was highly improved. Unfortunately with the dummy gauges that most people try to go by (the stock gauges), one doesn't get to know by looking at those what true warmup temp is. So even in stock form, if people weren't letting them get up to temp and using the trucks as grocery getters, it was no bueno for them. It would also help if after letting it get up to temp, actually letting the girl's legs stretch with a good amount of speed would help clear out the EGR, a lot of people didn't do that.

What manufacturers tried to do was implement gas vehicle emissions directly onto a diesel and that required a lot of people to change how they use diesels (Dodge, if I recall correctly, got around this initially by using emission credits that they had to push that puck further down the line, if I recall correctly). There were a lot of things that were intersecting during the 6.0s time that gave it a bum rap that's for sure.

printerup

Well to be honest, I am a diesel guy.

Had my 6.0PSD, Stage 1 injectors, 64mm turbo, upgrade fuel pump, upgrade tranny, stock gaskets, but ARP studs (the issue on the stock 6.0s actually was the TTY bolts, plus the over zealous tuning in the 03-04 models lead to a lot of leaking heads back in those days, not the gaskets, although people will usually say gaskets as that's easier to wrap their heads around) putting down 508HP on all four rear wheels. I miss that truck. Had a bone stock '14 6.7, it was OK, but with everything that they added (regulation induced), it created more issues compared to solving them. It ate injectors like they were nothing as well.

Now my first truck, 6.9 diesel (Ford), rattle the teeth out of your head, but boy was that a fun ride.
What about the sign business?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Different market. That's what ended up costing Navistar a lot of headache.

But very easy to work on (and modify mechanically), especially compared to the 6.0 and later. I avoided the 6.4 due to what one had to do in the engine, although it was slightly better compared to my having to use my friends lift for the work that I did on my 6.0.
Another thing that does taint my memory is that that 6.9 was my grandpa's truck.

And that is why one had the Destroked kits. Cummins was ok as an engine, I do prefer v8s versus inline 6s, but that's me. Cummins was definitely better down low, PSDs liked it a bit higher (on my tow/street tune we managed to get the rpm down lower compared to stock 6.0). I liked the cummins that I had in town, but hated it on the highway, vice versus with the stock Ford PSDs that I had.

The PSDs 7.3 or the IDI? Only issue I recall with the PSD versions is the ICP sensor and people just kept a spare in the glove box. They also took tunes better compared to the 6.0 (canned tunes at that). I would say it was due to the lack of an EGR system as well (some did and some didn't come with cats though). That wasn't gumming up the turbo. I know of plenty of 7.3 PSDs that were long past 100k and still in service.

Ironically, I think it was this ability of the 7.3 to handle the cheaper modifications led people to also have their issues with the 6.0. Not the automaker's fault, I just think that it was a perfect storm that affect that engine.

There were a lot of things going on. You had people that thought trucks were the it thing to have, so here they were using trucks for grocery getters. Combine that with people still thinking that you could idle them like diesels of old, that lead to more EGR issues. Way around that was a high idle (which could easily be done using one of the upfitter switches or you could actually do that via tuning as well).

The bolts were the big issue and how they were torque. If they weren't torqued correctly that could also lead to issues combined with other things as well (EGR gumming up, people beating on them etc).

The fuel system did suck, why I upgrade to a FASS system. No way the stock system could handle that load that I was doing. And of course, most people didn't use fuel gauges, I don't recall the truck's computer had that read out (as far as a live readout with a numerical value), while I used mainly analog autometer gauges, I did have a digital gauge that I read what info I could from the computer. Now, either that digital gauge couldn't pull fuel pressure or it wasn't available period for the 6.0.

I think one of the biggest disservices that auto makers do is have those dummy clusters. I heard some of the argument that people won't know the range, so they may call and take up the service shops time if the engine got a little hot, but it was well within normal temps. On one way, I can see that, but abstracting that away from the owner isn't the way of helping with that.

They could take a beating in Ford's stock form, if people allowed them to get up to warm up temperature. Their ability to take more stress was highly improved. Unfortunately with the dummy gauges that most people try to go by (the stock gauges), one doesn't get to know by looking at those what true warmup temp is. So even in stock form, if people weren't letting them get up to temp and using the trucks as grocery getters, it was no bueno for them. It would also help if after letting it get up to temp, actually letting the girl's legs stretch with a good amount of speed would help clear out the EGR, a lot of people didn't do that.

What manufacturers tried to do was implement gas vehicle emissions directly onto a diesel and that required a lot of people to change how they use diesels (Dodge, if I recall correctly, got around this initially by using emission credits that they had to push that puck further down the line, if I recall correctly). There were a lot of things that were intersecting during the 6.0s time that gave it a bum rap that's for sure.
An inline 6 is the most well balanced engine, simple physics. I have never been a fan of V8 diesels. If you want decent power and reliability, a 6.0 vortec is tops. The Ford V10, Chevy 350/305 and even the 5.3 will go just as long as a diesel with half the maintenance cost and must cheaper initial cost. The GM 4.3 is in tons of things and very reliable too. Either way, diesels we're not intended on being high revving race engines. I have never understood the obsession with wanting to make one fast. My pickup has more HP than the old Mack dump truck had that I drove in college and it would gross 70k lbs

binki

Premium fuel is $6.90 to $7/gal now. I had to fill up today and paid $125 for 18.8 gallons. I did get a 25 cent discount for using the 76 app.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Boo hoo... I spent over $200 to fill up my truck. I do that about three times a week. Cost of business that just gets passed on. Thankfully I have enough customers that can still afford it. Cry to yo momma Bikini