• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Honest opinion on a printer ?

1leonchen

I am trying to get back on my feet and start up my shop again i have been working for a cleaning company for the last two months and it has been great. it pays my bills and i always have money in my pocket. but i got a call from one of my old customers and he wants me to do some indoor signs. quite honestly i have been subbing them out and i dont like the quality. but back to the subject i walked across a epson 7600 which is a steal under 500 . and i was thinking if it is worth while using it for the indoor posters. its a contract that is always repetitive they change it every month and a half and the prints are 18 by 22. no sunlight ever catches the stuff. but my problem is how do u move a printer like that. Epson wasn't much help. so i am asking the forum members is it worth wile and how do i transport it it will be in transit for two days.

Tony McD

I don't know much about this printer, but from searching it can use ultrachrome inks or photo dye inks. The ultrachrome should add some uv stability to the prints that the dye inks won't have. Looks like a decent printer for indoor stuff.

Most times I've seen printers moved, they take out the ink tanks, and there is usually a bracket of some sort that mounts to the printer to hold the print heads from moving.
Shipping these things is a crap shoot...depends a lot on who's hauling it and how much they care about getting it there in one piece. I bought a laser printer on e-bay several years ago, and I think they rolled it to my door. What a mess.

Jim Doggett

I am trying to get back on my feet and start up my shop again i have been working for a cleaning company for the last two months and it has been great. it pays my bills and i always have money in my pocket. but i got a call from one of my old customers and he wants me to do some indoor signs. quite honestly i have been subbing them out and i dont like the quality. but back to the subject i walked across a epson 7600 which is a steal under 500 . and i was thinking if it is worth while using it for the indoor posters. its a contract that is always repetitive they change it every month and a half and the prints are 18 by 22. no sunlight ever catches the stuff. but my problem is how do u move a printer like that. Epson wasn't much help. so i am asking the forum members is it worth wile and how do i transport it it will be in transit for two days.

Sounds like a great application for a printer with conventional (indoor inks). Most anything will last a couple months, even with some sun hitting it. The only caveat I'd add is: do the math. Will the contract be better served by a $500 (+ supplies) investment or going to Kinko's? I think that's the only real consideration.

My $0.02,

Jim

1leonchen

thanks for your responses. kinkos is out of the question( i live on a island ). i had a company using a hp 9000 printing it pure banding. i think i am going after the deal. wish me luck

The Epson 7600 was an awesome machine -- key word "was". We had an UltraChrome model for about 5 years until the USB port finally died and we had to move on to a 7880, which is so much better a printer in every way that it was well worth plunking down the investment on getting a new machine over buying a used old one. The 7600 is s-l-o-w, doesn't have the light-light-black ink, doesn't have Ethernet (without an optional card), and unless the heads were replaced (and at a $500 selling price I'm guessing not), you'l undoubtedly experience some misfiring and non-firing nozzles. The print quality also just won't be up to snuff as compared to the more recent Epson machines. You're also only going to get a 24" wide print area edge-to-edge, which both slows down the already slow printing, but it will use up more ink.

The UltraChrome inks are awesome and have a (supposedly) century longevity with the right papers. I won't live that long to prove it, but the inks are UV stable, and water and scratch resistant.

Transporting these machines is a dream as compared to solvent printers. Just lock the heads with the easily lost screw, and you're off, so long as you don't tilt it too much or transport it in the cold too long. A cargo van will work great, as will the back seat of a large car, I'm guessing.

Hope that helps you out. Epson now has the 7900s out, which have the added ability of both matte and gloss black ink without having to swap them out, but the price went up just a "wee" little bit to $4000, though I'm sure there are rebates out there.

Hope that helps.

Steve

The Equipment Guy

If its currently printing and you can see a printhead test strip, should be good for what you want. If you need to replace heads, you might spend as much as you would have buying a newer machine.

Craig