• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hooked up w/ a Photographer...NOW WHAT!

Tovis

Email ME

Have your photographer email me, loads of great tips would be interesting to share ideas too.

schurms

I got a idea, save the 80 grand for college and be a good craftsmen in your trade. You DONOT need a college education to be a photographer. To be anything good it takes hard work and talent.

Tovis

hey

you may not need it, but it sure helps. I am also into teaching and want to eventually move up to teach at a college level.

Tovis

and when you convert it to aRGB vs sRGB too, I've found the avery profile also works well with oracal

Checkers

Proper profiling is the key to accurate reproductions. The client needs to supply you with files with the proper profile embedded and you need to use the right profile for your ink and media combination.
You can do profiling the right way and invest in the equipment and learn to do it yourself. Or, you can hire a professional to come in and make profiles for you. The catch 22 is every time you buy new inks and/or media, you really should re-profile.
Once you have the right profiles for your image, printer, inks and media, you can tell the client "this is as good as it gets".

Checkers

Chiproller

I have a Canon 9000 (the 60") and it is a beauty. Question though, can you print on the fathead media with aqaeous (sp) inks? If so what media can you use?

Regarding profiling of media, I have a Mimaki JV33-160 with Postershop and have found that there are very little profiles out there for that combination. Avery may have 6 or 7 they have provided and that's it! For their whole line of media! Same with other manufacturers. Anyone else have this problem or do you just go about creating profiles yourself?

Thanks,

Chip

mondo

PhotoTex. Then I cut it on the plotter on the slowest mode it will cut.

Sorry if Im a little off topic but Im sure you know that you have to laminate PhotoTex,right?. I would have to suggest that since you said the photographer is picky. Ink rub off on phototex a little bit.

As far as doing something like fathead or photo reproduction, you should be on cmyk of course you know that already). Its much easier to adjust flesh tones and others. I dont do profiling but when client gave me a sample proof I start printing either some small portion or 1/4 size of the actual size or smaller then I start adjusting colors.

I dont believe that 4 color printer is not the right printer for this type of application. I've been using a 4 color printer in my whole life except for HP5000's but 4 color eco sol printer will work as long as you have 1.) calibrated monitor (very important) 2.) a good eye 3.) and lots of patience.

sign&frame

I would be careful with photographer's because they are a picky bunch sometimes.
Make sure everything is calibrated perfectly and no defects because I deal with them all time and some o boi are pain.
I'm gonna assume your getting good vibe with the one you are working with and also I get issue of not getting saturated blacks when I used photo tex material.

TheSnowman

We don't laminate these. The photographer had one that another company did, and it still looks good, and he had it on his car for a year. The adhesive wore out, but the print still looked good. It is what it is, he's happy, and I'm happy, and it actually sticks to the wall, unlike jarhead, and wallnoodle. I got samples of all of them, and this is all that works. It's more of a flag material than a vinyl.