• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Horrifying and stuck on this logo

Stacey K

I like making signs
A farmer came in and had picture drawn EXACTLY the way he wanted his logo, font and all. So this is almost exactly like the pencil drawing. Anyway, he only wants it two color but wants me to add a leather or brass effect. Doing this is 2 color is horrifying. 3 color is better - but he only wants 2 color. I'm completely stuck on this, how am I supposed to do this? On the 2 color one I tried removing some of the black around the letters to make less clustered. Still looks like crap. The rest of the logo needs clean up but it's pretty much the way he wants it. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 722
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 440

2B

smile, nod, do as he wants.
We have dealt with farmers / ranchers before and they can be VERY "stubborn" in how they want it to look. Even if it is a flaming pile of DOG SH!T
Hopefully, you are NOT weeding that 2 color design......

IMO, When you go in to clean it up, please ensure the "rope" and the "border" are spaced evenly
1626805983940.png

BigNate

what about black for the type and skull... then find a hue that can be screened back for the background but printed solid for the background detail? (crumple a piece of paper, make it flat again, scan it, then print on a black toner laser printer - you will see a similar look created with one ink. - selecting the correct hue for your background will make the difference.)

Stacey K

I like making signs
smile, nod, do as he wants.
We have dealt with farmers / ranchers before and they can be VERY "stubborn" in how they want it to look. Even if it is a flaming pile of DOG SH!T
Hopefully, you are NOT weeding that 2 color design......

IMO, When you go in to clean it up, please ensure the "rope" and the "border" are spaced evenly
View attachment 154579
Yes, I definitely will! This is the first mock up before we go any further, so it's pretty rough. The application will be on shirts and print for some kind of farm brochure. For full color print I think this one will work. I'm not a fan of the 2 color on a shirt...unless we keep the leather texture off.

2B

Yes, I definitely will! This is the first mock up before we go any further, so it's pretty rough. The application will be on shirts and print for some kind of farm brochure. For full color print I think this one will work. I'm not a fan of the 2 color on a shirt...unless we keep the leather texture off.

for the screen print, use gradients / halftones of the background color.
Would leave the "black" solid

Stacey K

I like making signs
what about black for the type and skull... then find a hue that can be screened back for the background but printed solid for the background detail? (crumple a piece of paper, make it flat again, scan it, then print on a black toner laser printer - you will see a similar look created with one ink. - selecting the correct hue for your background will make the difference.)
I'm confused. So will the wrinkles be darker and the background be lighter? I make the background lighter by using a screen effect?

BigNate

the example of scanning a wrinkled sheet will give a very similar effect - the wrinkles are darker than the lightly screened background (filters can give different looks) - just demonstrating that the look of a 3-color with one being a light grey can be created using only 2 colors, as long as you can screen one back to make the grey. (the black toner was just to prove that the final print was only 1 color - using an inkjet or even a color laser can add other colors to the grey depending on how the image rips)

Stacey K

I like making signs
the example of scanning a wrinkled sheet will give a very similar effect - the wrinkles are darker than the lightly screened background (filters can give different looks) - just demonstrating that the look of a 3-color with one being a light grey can be created using only 2 colors, as long as you can screen one back to make the grey. (the black toner was just to prove that the final print was only 1 color - using an inkjet or even a color laser can add other colors to the grey depending on how the image rips)
Is this what you mean? I'm not sure what the right screen ratio should be. It seems like the dots are too far apart, but I feel like I'm on the right track?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 434

BigNate

Exactly!... just decrease the screen size tenfold or so - enough so it looks like a grey and not dots... if you have an fm screening option that would look better still. If you can force your lpi, go for at least 133, but >150 would be best for a smooth background.

Stacey K

I like making signs
fonts needs to be larger, way too much white space. The fonts are not on the same arch as the oval. Whoever did this has no experience laying anything out. Looks like a$$........... like most art these days.
Not to be rude but, If you would read my post, you would see I said this is EXACTLY the way he wants it. It matches his "family belt buckle" and he drew a picture and said THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, PERIOD. I'm not worried that I can't get the oval right or the font right, it's the texture I'm struggling with, so it's just a quick draft to show everyone my struggles and to look for help with the texture.

He came in with all 6 drafts he made and he said this is what the family settled on. Some drafts had the words in the middle, outside, etc. THIS is what they want.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 461

DPD

A farmer came in and had picture drawn EXACTLY the way he wanted his logo, font and all. So this is almost exactly like the pencil drawing. Anyway, he only wants it two color but wants me to add a leather or brass effect. Doing this is 2 color is horrifying. 3 color is better - but he only wants 2 color. I'm completely stuck on this, how am I supposed to do this? On the 2 color one I tried removing some of the black around the letters to make less clustered. Still looks like crap. The rest of the logo needs clean up but it's pretty much the way he wants it. Thank you!
If I understand, it seems that you don't necessarily agree with the customer's design. That being said, I gave up on that stuff a long time ago. It's quicker and easier to give the customer what they want.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If I understand, it seems that you don't necessarily agree with the customer's design. That being said, I gave up on that stuff a long time ago. It's quicker and easier to give the customer what they want.
That is correct. I'm not a fan of the small words either and it was an original suggestion but he wants it to match a family belt buckle so who am I to argue? I should be sending him some proofs this afternoon yet and I put one in there that has larger lettering...fingers crossed LOL

DPD

That is correct. I'm not a fan of the small words either and it was an original suggestion but he wants it to match a family belt buckle so who am I to argue? I should be sending him some proofs this afternoon yet and I put one in there that has larger lettering...fingers crossed LOL
They say time is money. Hopefully he says "great, go with it" and not "can I see that with a drop shadow?" then after that "can you make the drop shadow glow?" and so on. This is why I give'em what they ask for. Sometimes, it opens up a can of worms. Good luck. Hope he likes it.

visual800

Not to be rude but, If you would read my post, you would see I said this is EXACTLY the way he wants it. It matches his "family belt buckle" and he drew a picture and said THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, PERIOD. I'm not worried that I can't get the oval right or the font right, it's the texture I'm struggling with, so it's just a quick draft to show everyone my struggles and to look for help with the texture.

He came in with all 6 drafts he made and he said this is what the family settled on. Some drafts had the words in the middle, outside, etc. THIS is what they want.

Oh no offense I get it. Sometimes when people transfer art from other objects they look like a$$ and they need to be "updated" to sign version BUT as always it whats they want, it was a suggestion to make it more legible