• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how do I print opaque black background for backlit signs

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I am thinking this has probably been addressed but I can't find anything on it.

I often need to print a backlit sign (typically onto vinyl and then mounted to plexi face) with a black background.
The other graphic can occasionally be text copy or even a full color image and at times a gradient image that flows into the OPAQUE black background.

I am running Onyx poster shop 11.1.2.103
and am printing with my latex HP110

what settings should I be using/adjusting to get the OPAQUE BLACK background?

I have tried so many and can't get it completely opaque black.

HELP!!!

MikePro

the term you would be looking for is dual-layer printing for illuminated prints: same image printed, applied with a white diffuser between, will illuminate/blockout as designed. done via clear print mounted on white trans substrate with mirror-printed image applied to backside OR white trans. print applied laminated onto clear print and mounted/applied to transluscent substrate OR having a flatbed printer that prints white, white allows you to layer your print (image>whitelayer>image) on one surface.

else, yeah...if you want to just print black in one layer, just make a really dense black with 100K and 20-30CMY depending on your ink limits. but then your gradient will look washed-out into a hard-line of your black when illuminated.

Hello All,
I am thinking this has probably been addressed but I can't find anything on it.

I often need to print a backlit sign (typically onto vinyl and then mounted to plexi face) with a black background.
The other graphic can occasionally be text copy or even a full color image and at times a gradient image that flows into the OPAQUE black background.

I am running Onyx poster shop 11.1.2.103
and am printing with my latex HP110

what settings should I be using/adjusting to get the OPAQUE BLACK background?

I have tried so many and can't get it completely opaque black.
HELP!!!

Good suggestions in this thread.

The issue is getting enough ink onto the media to remain opaque when backlit. That has everything to do with the amount of ink being deposited (ink density) in the print mode being used. Standard print modes for frontlit opaque medias are typically in the 100 percent density range, but for backlit applications, 150 percent ink or higher are required. It also depends on whether the media is translucent white or clear.

There is a Media Preset for the Latex 110 on the HP Media Locator for 3M 8150C that uses 150 percent ink density:
https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

There are other media presets that offer higher ink densities as well.

Attachments

• 3M_8150C.JPG
    3M_8150C.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 196

Dan360

That would be a lot of steps. Easiest thing to do is to get a profile from the media locator and tune it to your material.

unclebun

You can increase ink limits and ink density or double strike all you want and light will still come through it. A double layer print is better, but if it has to truly block all light you need to plotter cut black vinyl and apply it to the backside of the face.

Andy D

Putting enough ink down to make it truly opaque is problematic & could cause vinyl and/or lamination failure.
As @JBurton said, print - laminate - mount - apply black cut vinyl -or-
Print one layer normally and another of only the black.

Last edited:

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
It's also good to manage expectations with your client - if they're expecting a true opaque black-out, printing can really only go so far unless you're either layering the print or using cut vinyl made for that purpose. The layering is super helpful for gradients or other complex printed logos. It's also one of my least favourite projects :p

Back when I had just started in this shop, the team had to re-do a large black sign because even though it was printed at like 100/50/50/50 and all the "right" settings, it wasn't opaque enough for our client (understandably - it wasn't really that opaque). Shop thought it would save work by just printing instead of plotting, but here we were doing it a second time.

Last edited: