• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions how do I remove old cracked vinyl wrap

That is how we get it off but it leaves the adhesive then we have to go back with rapid remover, maybe we are doing something wrong? It will take off paint that isn't adhered well which is fairly common. You also have to be careful to not hit plastics and weather stripping (an idiot employee figured that one out for me)

Ouuch! Learning has been very expensive for us for sure. Like the cost of the roof on van body box trucks.....um $1800.
Also, the cost of off the shelf adhesive removers forced us to buy in bulk basic ingredients to cut the cost below $15.00 per gallon. The degree of separation (how much adhesive residue), is IMO, relative to the type of material the is being removed.

I know guys that have high-pressure steam rigs purpose-built for removing old cracked liquid laminated graphics. They are set up to do large trailer fleets. My understanding is that they remove 53' trailers in hours with it. I would hate to be the guy that had to pic up all the vinyl pieces...

I would love to meet those guys that have high-pressure steam rigs purpose-built for removing old cracked liquid laminated graphics. We have been doing this for decades and have built some impressive rigs ourselves, but none capable of removing 53ft spider cracked wraps in hours. The last 53ft unit with fully cracked decals took us 6 hours per side and was very demanding. Who and where are these guys? I am always eager to learn more. Please tell.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I would love to meet those guys that have high-pressure steam rigs purpose-built for removing old cracked liquid laminated graphics. We have been doing this for decades and have built some impressive rigs ourselves, but none capable of removing 53ft spider cracked wraps in hours. The last 53ft unit with fully cracked decals took us 6 hours per side and was very demanding. Who and where are these guys? I am always eager to learn more. Please tell.

It appears that the Decal Removal Expert is the direct source since he built the rig my friend uses and my understanding from him is that it saves an incredible amount of removal time. Apparently, my statement about removal times on 53' trailers taking hours wasn't an accurate translation. Even though you could measure the removal time in hours for the rig vs days with other methods, the actual removal time is more like 12 hours.

I can say for a fact, my friend was excited about the machine and how it transformed their business.

Last edited:
It appears that the Decal Removal Expert is the direct source since he built the rig my friend uses and my understanding from him is that it saves an incredible amount of removal time. Apparently, my statement about removal times on 53' trailers taking hours wasn't an accurate translation. Even though you could measure the removal time in hours for the rig vs days with other methods, the actual removal time is more like 12 hours.

I can say for a fact, my friend was excited about the machine and how it transformed their business.

With a purpose built rig, the removal time for standard (3m hi performance vinyl) 53ft wraps truly can be measured in hours. For 2 person, 2 hours to 4 hours per unit depending on age, condition and accessibility. Other than standard (non-3M, reflective, metallic, gouged or spider cracked) 53ft wraps could take a bit longer. For 2 person, 4-16 hours.