• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How do I remove this adhesive

Annette Asberg

I need to remove this tape from a sign that we are relocating and the tape is totally impossible to remove. I have used heat, Denatured alcohol, and Citrus Air freshener. Does anyone, have any suggestions?
20211122_132746.jpg

ikarasu

Good ol' foam tape.

You'll need some elbow grease and a metal scraper.. you can use a wizzy wheel as well, but I find a metal scraper works best if you dont need to worry about all the gouges you'll put into the back.

Or do what I usually do... thicker foam tape right next to the garbage foam tape... save an hour of work... Depending on where the sign goes, having the tape 1" on the inside of the sign isnt the end of the world.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yup.

Use a 4" scraper to get the bulk of it. The thickness of the new tape should provide enough thickness to not have to remove ALL of the foam tape.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
if you absolutely have to have it all off, scrape a layer off, rub it with your favorite glue remover, and repeat until its gone. Its a pain, but it can be done. I prefer rapid remover over anything else I have ever tried.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As you put it, totally impossible to remove, then you need to figure out some way to cover it up and hide it. If it's on the backside of the sign, ya just overlay the entire back and build it up. If it's still on the wall or whatever you removed it from, do the same thing and make the area look somewhat blended in.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it was VHB tape.

If you can……
Spray adhesive remover on it. Let it sit for 5 or so minutes. Scrape off what you can with a PLASTIC scraper (metal if the surface it is on can get scratched). Repeat until it is all off.

The other and maybe more cost effective way is to make a whole new sign. Some times the labor time/cost vs. new is more than a new sign.