• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...
  • [URL unfurl="true"]https://jaysprinters.com/products/6090-uv-3-head-printer?sca_ref=6275292.kd5SR5a8XC[/URL]

How do you determine if it's time to replace the dampers...

I've talked to 3 different techs and have had 3 different answers.

I tried running a 3rd party ink and ran into what looked like ink starvation problems. The ink manufacturer suspected the dampers and or pump. I wasn't convinced and switched the printer back to OEM inks and the problems went away.

I know the dampers are a consumable and should be replaced occasionally but what's the best way to know if it's time to replace the dampers.

Thanks,
Chris

CS-SignSupply

Roland has "recommended" changing every 6 to 8 months. I have seen dampers over 4 years old completely full and still operating well.

With different ink viscosity, hi-flow dampers can work better for some third party ink.

My 2 cents.

MikePro

pull the damper off the print head... if there's slight resistance, then your o-ring is still good and most likely the damper is as well. The only other part of the damper that wears out would be the filter screen, although you can't really see it unless you're flushing out your lines/heads....

can always pull the damper, syringe cleaning solution through it and see if there's any grit blocking your screens, but by that point... you may as well just replace the dampers for the hell of it, since you've already got them pulled and they're like $5-$20 each... and your time pulling/reinstalling is worth just as much if not more.

Rooster

My rule of thumb is if the faster print speeds, say 720x540 six pass on my JV33, start to band badly or show signs of ink starvation when running bi-directional then it's time to replace the dampers.

Like others have said in this thread. If the o-rings are still tight and the filter is clear they're probably good. Since you can't usually see the filter you need to look for other clues sometimes.