• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you do Push-Thru?

briderx

Pushing plastic through another material (typically plastic through aluminum) you'd call that a "Push-Thru". It's very easy to do.. But, I use a method I think that can be simplified.

I first pull up Flexi (typically my vector interface for 90% of jobs). I get my aluminum panel, and make a copy of it for my plastic (so, I have 2 identical images). I then, take my aluminum vector and grow it .03125" with straight edges. Then, I figure out what tool I will be using (typically 3/16" or 1/8" if it's really small lettering). Assuming we're using 3/16" I will create an outline of .09375" with rounded edges, then create an inline of .09375 with rounded edges. This will compensate for the bit on the edges of the plastic.

I then grab my plastic vector and inline that .09375, then outline it .09375. This will compensate for the aluminum. Then, create the flange (typically .375") I will grab JUST THE FLANGE and outline it .375" rounded corners, then inline it .375" with rounded corners.. That makes everything round and smooth.. Export to Enroute and toolpath it. For the flange, I try to keep between 1/8" and 3/16" for height.. This way, it's not easy to break and it won't create too much of a problem when applying clips.

Wow, that sounds confusing..

What methods do you use?

Biker Scout

I use V-Carve Pro. I select my bit, adjust my depth. Cut my Acrylic with an Outside Cut. Then lay my sheet of aluminum and toggle to Inside Cut.

Has worked for me so far, looks good and no complaints!

(As for the outside edges, I think there's a button to automatically round over everything in the same diameter as the bit)

briderx

what type of gap do you have between your acrylic and your aluminum? with the above method, I have between 0-.015625 overall gap.. Enough to let them expand and contrast at different intervals without having parts break..

Biker Scout

I use a tapered bit for push-thurs. It's just barely tapered. So I guess my gap is how hard I push the letters through. They don't get super tight though.