• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you store / organize your overs?

Chichia96

Hey all. We have a constant issue with how to best store our overprints of decals in a way that doesn’t damage them over time and is easy to sift through to find when a re-order comes in and we have to search for the over print from the last order. See attached photos for our current situation (that I hate). Any reconditions? What do yall do?

Attachments

• IMG_8482.jpeg
    IMG_8482.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_8481.jpeg
    IMG_8481.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 206

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is what I do - or I toss them or give them to the customer. I do not keep small amounts of decals laying around. If they order 12, they will probably get 13 or 14.

I do store my heat transfers in 12"x12" scrapbook envelopes as I reuse them. I put them in plastic crates alphabetically.

Attachments

• 7358d962-9da6-42d2-b605-6cf0fe7d1c8d.jpg
    7358d962-9da6-42d2-b605-6cf0fe7d1c8d.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 195
  • de9209e7-d0d1-4c9e-92f9-355385b01813.jpg
    de9209e7-d0d1-4c9e-92f9-355385b01813.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 033ec1cb-3e95-4c16-8193-21b35744f7bf.jpg
    033ec1cb-3e95-4c16-8193-21b35744f7bf.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 179

White Haus

Not a Newbie
This is what I do - or I toss them or give them to the customer. I do not keep small amounts of decals laying around. If they order 12, they will probably get 13 or 14.

I do store my heat transfers in 12"x12" scrapbook envelopes as I reuse them. I put them in plastic crates alphabetically.
What's that white Scotch machine in your picture?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hey all. We have a constant issue with how to best store our overprints of decals in a way that doesn’t damage them over time and is easy to sift through to find when a re-order comes in and we have to search for the over print from the last order. See attached photos for our current situation (that I hate). Any reconditions? What do yall do?

We have a few random areas for extras/samples etc. I'll take pics next time I'm in the shop. Some architectural/drawing filing cabinets and other different filing cabinets.

Stacey K

I like making signs
What's that white Scotch machine in your picture?
That's just a laminator for paper. I actually use it a lot for my apparel stuff and things at home. I also have an Amish farmer who I make these carry along ads for when he has a horse for sale. He puts them in his coat and goes to the auctions...something like that.

IMG_4436.jpeg

Signarama Jockey

I abide by the principle of the baker's dozen. I regularly print extras of anything I'm making a large volume of, then tell my table guys to throw away anything that is less than perfect. They know that if they're throwing away more than a few to ask how many overs I printed, and we usually end up with a few more than the customer ordered. We give all of it to the customer. Extras tend to pile up over years and just clutter the place up. On rare occasions, with jobs we do regularly, we'll keep overs, but a lot of the time these just end up getting thrown away to keep the store orderly.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Seriously, you keeps 1's and 2's of extras?

Give them to the customer.

We'll print 1 of something, and give the customer more if there is extra space in the area.
If it's small die cut stickers, and they want 100, but to fill up the row it's 120. they get 120 unless 1 or 2 get ruined.

JBurton

Signtologist
I have a customer who is super cool, 'fit as many as you can over xx and bill me accordingly', so I'll fill up so many rows and bill him for an oddball quantity. But, the funny thing is, most of these are paired stickers for vehicles, same logo and all, but he's using an even number of them. Every once in a while he'll call complaining that jimbo must've screwed one up because he only has 3 left, get some more coming. I haven't pointed out to him that I probably ran an odd number at his request...

But really, I'd ship them out with the customers order, no use in holding onto overruns, just give them to the customer, or throw them out if he's a pita. All the vinyl drops though, they must be saved in a box under the table until it starts smelling oddly sweet...

netsol

one of the commercial printers we had some experience with had, in his terms and conditions that your order for 1000 (or whatever number) could be 2% under or as much as 5% over the target figure. in this way he eliminated the problem of storing ""overs"

he also got to charge for every last one

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
one of the commercial printers we had some experience with had, in his terms and conditions that your order for 1000 (or whatever number) could be 2% under or as much as 5% over the target figure. in this way he eliminated the problem of storing ""overs"

he also got to charge for every last one
Yup, that's pretty much industry standard. We over and short but charge according to what they get.
If it's a mistake or an overrun for the just in case factor then we usually give them the extras.

Chichia96

Seriously, you keeps 1's and 2's of extras?

Give them to the customer.

We'll print 1 of something, and give the customer more if there is extra space in the area.
If it's small die cut stickers, and they want 100, but to fill up the row it's 120. they get 120 unless 1 or 2 get ruined.
Yeah… I kinda inherited a signs department that was run by a very frugal / financially cautious boomer and the new owner doesn’t want me throwing away what they kept over the years ‘just in case’ () so I’m kinda stuck with this mess of decals that are usually only 1 of 1 or 2 of its kind.

There’s gotta be a shelf life on latex printed + laminated + contour cut & taped print media though right? Anybody know what that might be? Because I KNOW I’ve got decals in there pushing the 10 years or older mark.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use some blueprint cabinets for the regular customers with re-orders. Otherwise, trash them if you don't give them to them with their initial order.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Yeah… I kinda inherited a signs department that was run by a very frugal / financially cautious boomer and the new owner doesn’t want me throwing away what they kept over the years ‘just in case’ () so I’m kinda stuck with this mess of decals that are usually only 1 of 1 or 2 of its kind.

There’s gotta be a shelf life on latex printed + laminated + contour cut & taped print media though right? Anybody know what that might be? Because I KNOW I’ve got decals in there pushing the 10 years or older mark.

10 years or older? Dump it.
5 years or older? I'd dump that, too.
And if you know for a fact that none of what you have on hand will ever be sold to a customer. Well... I know what I'd do with it.

We have overs labeled with the production date, so that helps to figure out when we can trash something.

Even the best of the best material will have a 7 to 10 year lifespan. If you know what materials were used and can locate the spec sheets, you can find out for how long the material is expected to be usable.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

Throw them in the bin.
honestly. just in case for what? they need more? They'll pay and receive more. what if there's a slight revision?

besides, they appreciate having spares.
i do when i order high quantities.
& nothing frustrates me more when i order 1000 of something. i get 1000 and 10 in the middle are damaged. there's 990 now.

Sign Pro Salina

We only send out the exact amount ordered as many of our corporate accounts aren't fond of having more decals sent than are on their PO as it messes up the inventory numbers on their end. We always fill the media with as many as we can print at one time. So if there are extra & it's for a client who we know will reorder, those are kept in manila envelopes until their next order as they are usually smaller decals. The envelopes are labeled with the company name & stored in a box. If there are overruns for a customer who most likely won't be ordering the same again or we know it may be a couple years, those are tossed. They can pile up all too easily and be a mess to sort thru taking more time to do so than they are worth to keep. Vinyl manufacturers state the shelf life of materials is typically around 2 years, anything longer and we toss it, same with any vinyl that's left around unused. We were in the same place years ago with over runs & scraps of vinyl until we learned it's just not profitable to have to dig thru odds & ends. Also if they have application tape on them as I see some of yours do, that only gets harder to remove with time sitting unused, especially with any changes in temp or humidity. I'd say trash most of that & start with a new plan that's organized. It's just not worth it to keep it all.

jochwat

Graphics Department
And, you don't want to deal with the aftermath of a customer receiving a 5-10 year old decal that ultimately fails before its expected lifespan. That's another great reason for labeling them with production dates. You can easily see when it's time to get rid of them. And if a customer sits on their stockpile of decals and complains that it won't stick to their truck / wall / machine / etc., you can refer them to the production date label and remind them that it was guaranteed for 5 years, and the label states a date of 5/11/2016.

Throw out what you can. You know you want to!

Sign Pro Salina

And, you don't want to deal with the aftermath of a customer receiving a 5-10 year old decal that ultimately fails before its expected lifespan. That's another great reason for labeling them with production dates. You can easily see when it's time to get rid of them. And if a customer sits on their stockpile of decals and complains that it won't stick to their truck / wall / machine / etc., you can refer them to the production date label and remind them that it was guaranteed for 5 years, and the label states a date of 5/11/2016.

Throw out what you can. You know you want to!
Absolutely! Good points there. We've had some customers bring in graphics that they've had laying on a shelf in their non-climate controlled garage for several years and then want to use them. Dates & we also make sure to notate what the customer part number is, since the part number isn't always on the decal & some can look similar in size.