• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How does diesel affect the vinyl?

jc1cell

I have wrapped a couple of tankers previously and really have not heard of any issues from the gasoline spilling over them. Wondering if you guys have had any experience with diesel and how it affects the installed vinyl on full wraps.

jc

jc1cell

Appreciate the response. My main concern is from hearing (don't remember where) that prolonged or continuous exposure to diesel or gasoline would cause failure. Since I haven't experienced it I wanted to hear from other members as to their experience.

Maybe I should just contact 3M and see what they think.

jc

511graphix

well any harsh Chemical that is left on the surface of the wrap/vinyl after some time (long time) will cause decoloration or failure to that location. but their tankers. and the customer should be told that life of the wrap/vinyl would possibly be shorten due to the harsh environment and use of the Tankers. but it also don't help to see what the manufacture has to say about your pacific situation

wes70

I know gas will destroy vinyl... not sure about diesel.
I applied "Diesel" vinyl lettering to an above ground tank at a local gas station over 3 years ago, still looks new, but I don't think the vinyl is subjected to any large amounts of diesel fuel, if any at all.

MikePro

i'd imagine it does the same amount of damage to laminated vinyl as it does to your paint job. ...next to nothing, as long as you don't leave it spill/build up like a slob. tell your customer to take care of the wrap, and wipe up his mess, and it will last just fine.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We have wrapped the fuel dispensers (diesel and gas side by side) for our local network of stations here for more than 10 years.
Same materials, same site, installed at the same time - diesel pump graphics fail first just about every time.
The diesel pumps always need much more cleaning when changing out the graphics.
I think it might be that the diesel does not evaporate right away like gas does so it has more time to effect the graphics and attract dirt.

wayne k
guam usa

Phil1969

I have been asked to apply vinyl on gasoline and diesel storage tanks, I contacted my supplier. I was told that it could last (longer if laminated), but to inform the client that there was no guarantee it will last the regular 2-3 years a regular print would last.
Finally, the printed vinyl lasted less then 18 months, but the red vinyl cut i applied on some is still there more than 3 years later.

boxerbay

We had a client and did their BIG RIG fuel tankers. We used the ARLON 3420G laminate. It is not affected by gasoline. The tanker we wraps are going on 5 years and no problems.

check the technical specs - it has a resistance to gasoline rating.

http://arlon.com/Objects/Documents/PIBS/Series 3420S-3420G - PIB_LR.pdf

3M 8518 only offers a "resists petroleum vapors"

The fuel company owners cousin bought a LF printer and we lost the account. I guess blood is thicker than water, regardless of brains.

I see the cousins new tanker wraps ( not to mention the designs were very crowded and ugly ) and in about three months they fail along the top edge from fuel spillage. Vinyl flapping in the wind. really bad.

Ouch gotta re-wrap a 40 foot tanker truck. NICE!

HAHAHA - that's what you get is what I thought.

USE THE CORRECT MEDIA.

signmeup

Maybe I should just contact 3M and see what they think.

jc
I'm willing to bet 3M will recommend their vinyl for most any application... as long as you don't take it out of the box. Whatever might go wrong will be something you did wrong.

boxerbay

Assuming you used it with Arlon Vinyl.

yes we used DPF9000

DPF 9000 is a 3.8-mil, satin white, engineered vinyl with a medium initial tack, permanent adhesive. This digital film for solvent-based printers is recommended for applications where the graphic is exposed to high heat, solvents or petrochemical-based products such as gas pump skirts and vehicle wraps.

ZERO FAILURES.

jc1cell

yes we used DPF9000

DPF 9000 is a 3.8-mil, satin white, engineered vinyl with a medium initial tack, permanent adhesive. This digital film for solvent-based printers is recommended for applications where the graphic is exposed to high heat, solvents or petrochemical-based products such as gas pump skirts and vehicle wraps.

ZERO FAILURES.

Excellent...Thank You

boxerbay

Here are some pictures.

TIP: In case your wondering how we got it installed super super straight... We would start the install at the tanker depot at night. We would attach a laser level to the tanker and shoot a beam across it. then just mark it off with masking tape. then come back in the morning and bang out the job.

Attachments

• tanker.jpg
    tanker.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 117
  • tanker2.jpg
    tanker2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 93
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 117