• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long do you need to hold onto a customers product before you can throw it away?

About a year and a half ago we did a large job for an out of state customer. They signed off on the proofs, we received their deposit and started production about 3 days into it, someone in marketing decided to make some changes to their design.

We explained that the job was already in production. Surprisingly they understood and they had no issue paying for more the additional production.

We asked if we should dispose of the original prints or ship them to their location, they wanted me to hold onto them for a few weeks until they could get it sorted out. That was a year and a half ago and they are still sitting in the back of the shop.

I've emailed them several times but they still haven't made a decision. Although they paid for the additional prints, they did not pay any towards shipping the prints with the original design to their location. It's about (9) 54" x 150 rolls of material, so I'm not paying to ship to their location out of my pocket.

Any ideas on how long I need to hold onto this stuff before I can junk it?

Thanks,
Chris

the graphics co

I would say if you have an out of the way place to keep them there is no harm in holding on to it.

If you are hurting for space, mail a letter that states they need to make a decision within x number of days before you will be disposing of the product. You can send the letter certified mail so you know they received it.

Jillbeans

I would send a letter as well as an email giving them 10 days to make up their minds.
(I have a sign sitting here since 2007)
Love....Jill

Kottwitz-Graphics

Or offer to keep it, but charge a "storage fee".

You've done it for free for the past year and a half, and they have been taking advantage of it. Now that it will cost them, they will make a decision real fast.

Milo

I had a new start up business order a nice set of magnets for his truck. I had called and left a message about three times and he never called or came to pick them up.

This last January made one year since that time. We're doing our clean up and scrap disposal and we pulled out these magnets to throw away so they are laying on the table, and HE WALKED IN TO PICK THEM UP. He apologized, but asked me to add $25.00 to his bill for holding these for so long. And we were within and hour of disposing of them!