• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long would it take you to CNC this?

fresh

I don't have a CNC machine, and i'm trying to explain to a client that we don't just blink and have things cut out in a heartbeat. We are having our supplier cut this shape out of 1/2" plywood, and its 14, yes 14 full sheets.

So, those of you with CNC machines, would you mind giving me a ballpark time estimate and for these cut sheets? I want to go back to them and say Its wednesday at 4:30, nothing is approved, there is no way its reasonable to expect this entire job can be done on Friday morning, and I'd like some educated time estimates to back me up!

Thanks a million.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 408

GB2

Old Member
I'm not sure exactly what you are expecting to rout from that drawing but a rough guess would be 30-40 minutes each. Who is doing the routing...your supplier? If so you should ask them...if you need help...call me!

skyhigh

I'm not sure exactly what you are expecting to rout from that drawing but a rough guess would be 30-40 minutes each. Who is doing the routing...your supplier? If so you should ask them...if you need help...call me!

A good guy, and fairly close to you.......
I'd be jumping on that offer.

LOL

rossmosh

I agree with the 30-40 minutes. Could be longer if a 3/8" bit doesn't fit and a 1/4" bit is needed. Could be faster if you have a good machine that can crank out work. On top of the cutting time, you have probably around 5-10 minutes to swap sheets. All told, you're probably looking at 10.5 hours to do the job. Drop that on me on a Thursday to have done for Friday and I'm likely charging you rush fees because now my whole day is all you. I'd say you're looking at a minimum of $120/hr.

Also, as an aside, I would require you change your design to be narrower than 48". As a general rule of thumb, anything CNC cut should be less than 48" if you're looking to use a 4x8 sheet. I recommend 47" as the maximum.

Z SIGNS

One hour each piece at least after you figure in all the other time associated with it.
Why rout that out of plywood?
Looks like it's going to be a fragile piece

player

One hour each piece at least after you figure in all the other time associated with it.
Why rout that out of plywood?
Looks like it's going to be a fragile piece

I am curious, what would you recommend routing this out of?

visual800

dear God route that out of pvc! what in the hell are people still using plywood and mdo for?

time for my guy could route one in 25 minutes per out of pvc

Kottwitz-Graphics

I want to go back to them and say Its wednesday at 4:30, nothing is approved, there is no way its reasonable to expect this entire job can be done on Friday morning, and I'd like some educated time estimates to back me up!

Thanks a million.

attachment.php

And that's the problem with customers today... I call it the Walmart mentality. "Oh, you mean you don't have 14 sheets of a precut material in stock?"

When the customer seems surprised that you can't get it out, I sometimes will tell them that I have other projects that I am also working on, and we do outer best to accommodate their needs... but I also have time when my shop is closed.

For a job like that, I would sub it to Harbor Sales, and they give me the turn around time, and I add a couple of days in case something isn't right...

As far as pvc vs mdo, I'm not sure the finished look wanted or the application, so I can't say which would be better...

rossmosh

dear God route that out of pvc! what in the hell are people still using plywood and mdo for?

time for my guy could route one in 25 minutes per out of pvc

If they want it to be wood grained. Also PVC doesn't cut faster than plywood. At least not in my experience.

I did simulation in my software. Plywood with 6mm bit at 150 ipm 23min PVC 6mm 200 ipm bit 20min. Inside pieces large enough for my vacuum so no tabs. To change sheets and clean a table 10-12min.

fixtureman

I also did a simulation and I get about 20 minutes to cut and about 15 minutes to clean and reload so about 30 minutes per sheet. remember you have a to allow for employees breaks and lunch.

fresh

You are all amazing. Thanks for the info... Harbor is doing the work, and they have a crazy big fancy router that I doubt too many people have in their shop. I don't think I can compare the speed of their machine to something that a smaller or mid-size sign shop would have (not to say some of you don't have amazing machines, but I think theirs is like, $200K or something like that.)

As for the material, I wanted to do it out of pvc. Its for a set, and most of the other elements are stained wood, and the client didnt think a digital print would work. so it goes.

I didn't get approval for it until 5:30 last night and they are surprised I have to charge them more to get it on Friday (and then they were like, Friday AFTERNOON?!?!). AND the only reason they are even getting it on Friday is because I'm going to drive from NJ to MD to pick it up! Oi. Its a good customer, and I'm charging a LOT for what shouldnt have been a easy job, but jeez. I need to make it clearer to them that we can't work on one day deadlines. I mean, maybe we can, but for 2x or 3x the normal price.

Thanks again for the insight.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Too bad it's not next Friday. Harbor is having an open house, and reps from all the companies they offer will be there, as well as equipment demos....

You could have come down and gotten a free lunch...

fixtureman

You are all amazing. Thanks for the info... Harbor is doing the work, and they have a crazy big fancy router that I doubt too many people have in their shop. I don't think I can compare the speed of their machine to something that a smaller or mid-size sign shop would have (not to say some of you don't have amazing machines, but I think theirs is like, $200K or something like that.)
Thanks again for the insight.

I just have a Shopbot but I run a $300K Biesse at work both can only run so fast using the size bits that it will take to do this job. So the big expensive router doesn't matter.