• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much inventory?

How much $$$ in vinyl inventory do you have?

• < $1000

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • $1000 - $3000

Votes: 55 41.0%
  • $3001 - $5000

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • > $5000

Votes: 30 22.4%

• Total voters

SoCalN8V

We probably have about 40-50 unique colors and 1 roll of each of digital print media. When a roll gets low, that's when we place an order unless it was a color left over from a specific job, then we don't order it. We found that only a small percentage of all the available colors get requested over and over. With shelf life only being 1 - 2 years, we can't justify buying a roll in every color because some would just sit there. If a customer wants to see our vinyl color chart and chooses a color that's not in stock, we tell them that it's a special order color and there's an extra fee for that. Unless a customer really wants that color, most will choose from our stock colors.

Oh, and we have a great supplier. If I order by 9:30am - I can get it delivered by 11:30am - hard to beat that. Yesterday, the driver arrived at noon and apologized for being late due to heavy traffic.

Last edited:

eric t

Geez, you guys got deep pockets..... I keep the seven basic colors of cast and seven colors of calendered. That way they stay fresh.......anything else is a custom order. I can ususally get vinyl same day, or overnighted so there is no need to keep alot of inventory and I can keep some money in my pocket

Flame

Probably 4-6k in materials. About 40 rolls of digital media, and perhaps 70 rolls of colored. Just a 2 person, smaller shop, but couldn't live without atleast that much in stock.

WVB

We generally have 44 rolls of vinyl in stock. 28 of which are HP and the rest being Cal.

jimdes

Sheets not rolls . . .

Since changing from production mode to design mode . . . I stock sheets of vinyl. I have about 400 sample sections about one foot long by fifteen inches wide. They cover virtually every color available from 3M, Oracal and Avery. There are various specialty films and some unique stuff that I will probably never use but at least I know what it looks like.

I store these sheets in boxes that paper reems once came in, they make a nice dark storage area and I can keep the samples flat with very little effort.

I highly reccommend taking a sample piece from each piece of vinyl you order and label the back side with a bunch of information . . . you don't need to be as anal retentive as myself about it but the more info the better. I definately recommend at a minimum, listing other brands and colors that match closely.

Custom Signs

I have a 44 roll rack which is pretty much full with 24" x 10yd rolls, except for 4 rolls (Red, Blue, Black & Signal Yellow) that are 24" x 50yd. I also keep a 25yd. roll of magnet, about 24 sheets of 18 x 24 coro, 12 sheets of 18 x 24 aluminum , oh and don't forget the premask (8 rolls).