• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much to charge for a rush job?

Circleville Signs

:goodpost:

You are a moron - THANKS!

We wholesale to other printers in the area for $1.75-$2.50/sf

This end user has 13 car dealerships and does over $400,000 a year in banners. WE WANT THE BUSINESS!!

"If I were one of your local wholesale clients and found that out, I'd never buy from you again, and I would damn sure take the time to find out who your other wholesale clients were and inform them of your unethical behavior."
IF YOU HAVE THE TIME GO FOR IT. WE NEVER SELL TO OUR CLIENTS CUSTOMERS BUT THANKS FOR BEING CONCERNED. WE ALSO HAVE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER WHOLESALE PRINTERS IN THE AREA. WE DO CHARGE MORE BUT GET THE JOB DONE QUICKER.

First, I agreed with Ddlark. This shoudl not be in general chit-chat, nor should it be in the public forums.

Second, and I say this seriously. The "moron" part was a mistake. i apologize. My kids had me up much earlier than normal, so i was grumpy.

The REST of my post I stand by fully. You are cutting the throats of your wholesale "partners" if you are selling retail at that low of a price. Period. If you are selling to end users in your market which also includes your "wholesale partners" then you are mixing the ponds. How do you know that none of your wholesale partners has tried to get into that dealership for their business, and couldn't because of the RIDICULOUS price you are selling their banners to them for?

That's what I'm talking about. If you are going to sell wholesale AND retail, then your need to make sure that your retail price is within a reasonable range of your wholesale "partners" retail price point.

Otherwise, you are going to piss off A LOT of your "partners". And random strangers oon the internet who have a sense of ethics.

Gary

Replicator

Really, the wholesale pricing, retail pricing and all other pricing should never be visible in a google search from this site and it's really starting to piss me the F**K off !

Take this sh!t out of the open forums !

Bigdawg

Just Me
No...

I took out Merritt's pricing in Banner's post because Merritt took it out of his. But as of this very minute - and Fred correct me if I'm wrong - there is no rule against posting pricing in the open forum. Frowned on? Absolutely. Not a smart thing to do? Yep...

but I am not moving the thread unless requested by the OP or we establish a rule saying that no wholesale pricing is allowed in the open forum. IMHO it should be a no-brainer that people wouldn't want to post that info...

Mosh

Our banners are $3.35 sq ft, we have 3 printers doing them all day long.
When vinyl cutters first came out people got $20 sq ft for cut stuff, now it is way down since there are so many cutters. Same with printing banners, face it there are alot of people with printers now. If you want that business you need to price for it. Constantly complaining about people's low proces is getting old, then you complain you don't have any work, maybee your prices are too high, cause we have plenty of work at $3.35.

I know you would rather do one job and make $100 than do 5 and make $20 each. Well if your business falls off 50% I guess 50% of one job is no job!

FatCat

Question for BANNERS2GO and Mosh;

I can understand that kind of pricing for a large order. But do you offer that price for Joe Blow who comes in off the street and needs one 3x5 banner printed?

Just curious...

Mosh

3x5 $50 plus artwork if needed. No art fee if it is plain copy or we already have the art.
$60 per hour is the art fee, min $30. Do them all day at this price.

We add 50% for next day service (uless it is easy, or a real good customer)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The policy is that pricing (in all its forms) may be discussed in the open forums.

Why is that the policy? Because

• Most members do not support the concept of premium forums.
  • Many members will discuss pricing in the open forums regardless of any rules we make about it ... putting us in the position of censoring member posts.
  • Even members who oppose such discussions will still participate in these discussions and rarely suggest that the premium forums would be a more appropriate place for such discussions.
  • Pricing discussions provide some real benefits to members in helping them become more profitable and reducing the number of low ballers each of us must compete with. These benefits, IMHO, far outweigh the disadvantages posed by an occasional end user being able to read such discussions.
Our suggestions to those of you who are opposed to such discussions:

• Make members aware of the benefits of privacy ... privately.
  • Don't contribute to the discussion. It will fade away faster that way.

Monsterkidz

We'll charge $150-$175 for a 3x5 banner, delivered in 2 days and no charge for any art as long as we don't have to purchase a specific image or font. I think it's a pretty good deal. Granted these are NYC prices.

Mosh

$150-$175 I would sell zero banners. There are people who place orders on my site and tell me I am too high. I simply tell them to go somewhere else, most of them I never hear from again.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
$150-$175 I would sell zero banners. There are people who place orders on my site and tell me I am too high. I simply tell them to go somewhere else, most of them I never hear from again.

That's because you are committed to a business model that treats produced work as a commodity. And that's all well and good providing you understand your choice. But that choice is why you think you would never sell a banner for that price.

That business model has its benefits and its drawbacks. When and if we are faced with a returning and deeper recession accompanied by a major round of inflation (which I believe we will see in 2010), you may discover that the lack of customer loyalty typical of your business model will leave you vulnerable to greater losses from those willing to cut their margins than will be experienced by those companies more focused on service and relationship building. For your business model to succeed, you must do volume and you must be among the lowest in price. If that volume disappears and a dollar buys less, your model will be, IMHO, difficult to maintain.

Mosh

Most of my work is from large companies, government agancies, and power plants. Money talks to these customers, not realy after Joe Blow off the street, but if he stops in I will sell him whatever.

Back on topic...We add 50% for next day service (uless it is easy, or a real good customer) :The Mosh never gets off topic you know!

Brandon708

is it getting in the way with your other jobs? if not then I wouldn't charge anything extra if its not costing me anything extra.