• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How not to get the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We've been looking for a sign graphics person with (hopefully) some table experience.
Haven't had a lot of promising applicants... way too many arteeessts than production type people.

Anyway we whittled it down to 2 resumes.
Had guy number 1 come in... he was a Corel guy with some Illy experience.
Was able to make the test file cuttable after asking where to find the correct tools
(not a problem - things are named differently than Corel),
but the layout (very simple sign) was a bit overdone. His availability isn't really what we need though.

So then we schedule guy #2... he calls says he's held up by a wreck - okay, I can buy that.
Then calls and says he couldn't find us - that he thought he knew where he was going but he should have google mapped it (his words).
We are a lil hard to find, so I told him let's reschedule for tomorrow. I schedule around a couple appointments he has and settle on 3:00. Fine.

Next day rolls around and 2:50 - no applicant... 3:00 no applicant... 3:05 guy rolls in the door.
My boss says something to the effect that being on time was important on the job. Not nasty or snarky.
Guy says he's sorry he couldn't find us.
Boss remarks - "well you had 24 hours to find us"

Dude goes nuts. Flips off the boss screaming f you...
Starts heading for the door and sees me and our production guy standing there (jaws on the ground)
and yells "You all are a bunch of f'in a-holes."
then turns to the boss and says. "You didn't want me to f'in work for you anyway." and slams out of the building.

The thing is THIS GUY HAD THE JOB even being late.
Had the experience we needed, his illustrator portfolio was good
and short of being a friggin' lunatic we would have hired him.

Needless to say... he was a friggin' lunatic.

Last edited:
S

SignTech

lol ........... great story ... the sign biz is riddled with crazies ........ if he had all the experience and HAD the job maybe the "boss" could have been a little less challenging and cocky ... sounds like the "boss" is a bit of an a(*&hole .... lol

Probably right .......... the applicant clearly was an idiot for his actions and words but maybe he was nervous coming in, and finding the place, two side to every story .... if a "professional boss" (term used loosely) ... challenged me second one walking in the door, I would have told him to F off too ........ a company not worth working for. Especially since he 'did' apologize for being 5 minutes late getting lost and got a smart ass remark stating he had 24 hours to find the place. Sounds like the "boss" is an assh(*& ;)

HulkSmash

That's nuts.. He obviously is insecure and has some personal problems.

We were looking for pretty much the same position you guys were, got over 300 resumes.

Narrowed it down to 10. met with all of them.. only 2-3 were promising. The girl we hired

seems to be fitting in well. One important thing we wanted to find in the person is not

just design/production savvy, but they needed to fit in with our current staff. We have a
really laid back, but high production environment, and didnt need someone to cramp our style.

AUTO-FX

I dont know- but I'd have made sure I knew where the place was and I was 5 minutes early (the first time), especially given a second chance to get myself there.

housemusikid

That sound like a nightmare!:frustrated:

You should have told him that he got the job but not now because of his attitude. I had to do that once. The look on his face was priceless. Nevertheless, I worked with him later on and he told me that moment of me telling him he got the job but not now, that changed his attitude.

Bigdawg

Just Me
lol ........... great story ... the sign biz is riddled with crazies ........ if he had all the experience and HAD the job maybe the "boss" could have been a little less challenging and cocky ... sounds like the "boss" is a bit of an a(*&hole .... lol

Probably right .......... the applicant clearly was an idiot for his actions and words but maybe he was nervous coming in, and finding the place, two side to every story .... if a "professional boss" (term used loosely) ... challenged me second one walking in the door, I would have told him to F off too ........ a company not worth working for. Especially since he 'did' apologize for being 5 minutes late getting lost and got a smart ass remark stating he had 24 hours to find the place. Sounds like the "boss" is an assh(*& ;)

Actually his "sorry" was not an apology. If it had come out of one of my kids mouths that snotty I woulda slapped 'em. And boss isn't an a-hole - at least he wasn't being then. He is probably one of the most professional people I've ever worked for.

Let's look from boss and my perspective. We took time out of our slammed schedule - boss even had to return to office when he had field work he should be doing - not once... but twice. And guy walks in late with a very obvious attitude.

Nothing warranted the response we got. Just glad we discovered the volatility now and not AFTER he was hired.

Billct2

At least he reveiled himself before you made the mistake of hiring him.
I'd guess he has some substance abuse problems. I've run into several like that(three that I hired), great portfolio, great skills, and their personal lives are total shambles thanks to their bad habits. And of course that always leads to problems at work.

S

SignTech

Clarification: I would have told the "boss" to f off in my way not the potential employees way ...

I would have smiled, chuckled and shook his hand and politely walked out, 'in a couldn't wait to get out fashion'.

See some are missing the point and comprehension of this story. Yes he had trouble finding the place and seemed a bit quirky ...... but all those self righteous one and understanding types in the sign biz know damn well MOST are quirky in the art arena.

Stating "you had 24 hours to find us" is both condescending and rude. If this guy was so "HAD THE JOB" type, then why not be a little more accommodating and patient? Especially after he apologized. Speaks volumes just in that sentence alone about the "boss" and his character.

Employers always seem to think they are the GODS and potential prospects need to bow to them for employment, albeit 10-12-15 bucks an hour. Big deal.

The whole hiring process and employee/employer interaction should be a two way street. But many that OWN the company, who usually Can't DO the work ...... have god complex's ... most know exactly what I am saying, they have lived it.

90% of the Paramedic supervisors I worked with in my EMS days where the worst care providers out there, but they where great at kissing corporate butt ......... I still think this "boss" has a god complex. ;)

TheSellOut

hahahaha...You guys must have had a laugh over that one!

Sunny Florida hmm?...that sounds nice! Is the pay good? I am about ready to get out of the NorthEast...I love Winter but this one has dragged on...we were suppose to get 7+" today...Old man Winter must have a good "April Fools" sense of humor!

The thing that really has me itching to move is all the Natural Gas drilling of the Marcellus Shale. Where I live is right in the heart of the shale and the Fracking process used to remove the gas is literally destroying this beautiful area.

S

SignTech

Actually his "sorry" was not an apology. If it had come out of one of my kids mouths that snotty I woulda slapped 'em. And boss isn't an a-hole - at least he wasn't being then. He is probably one of the most professional people I've ever worked for.

Let's look from boss and my perspective. We took time out of our slammed schedule - boss even had to return to office when he had field work he should be doing - not once... but twice. And guy walks in late with a very obvious attitude.

Nothing warranted the response we got. Just glad we discovered the volatility now and not AFTER he was hired.

You posted a thread, I read your words exactly ........... gave you my opinion. Why post the issue in the first place? If he was trash he was trash case closed .......... but something irked you on this one ... not everyone is going to agree with your position just because you want them to. many people enjoy the demise of others ........ my hats off to the guy that walked out ...... maybe he saw ahead ... maybe not.

Bigdawg

Just Me
wow signtech... didn't need anyone to agree...

posted because it was an amusing sign story...

maybe I can send the guy up to you - sounds like y'all would get along good.

TheSellOut

Not sure how you can defend this guy SignTech...He warranted the "challenging" remark by being late to an interview for the second day. I mean how important is it to be on time to a job interview these days? And the boss was right, he had 24 hours to find the place...Google it, get your directions, leave a half hour early...is it to much to expect to be on time...

AUTO-FX

Too many people go around like they're owed something.
I dont care if the job is sweeping floors, if you WANT THE JOB, you might want to be prompt, courteous and humble.

S

SignTech

Not sure how you can defend this guy SignTech...He warranted the "challenging" remark by being late to an interview for the second day. I mean how important is it to be on time to a job interview these days? And the boss was right, he had 24 hours to find the place...Google it, get your directions, leave a half hour early...is it to much to expect to be on time...

Again I only commented based on the original post. Any and all interviews I have been on ....... I am always 15 minutes early. On those occasions in life that I was late for an appointment at a corporate facility or whatever facility ... if I encountered that type of condescending cockiness it would raise an immediate flag.

The rhetorical comment was cocky and unprofessional. Maybe the boss could have lightened up a bit instead of attacking the prospect and at least conducted an interview. Many in the SIGN biz are cocky, attacking and condescending ... I have no doubt there is a second side to this story. And that's the reason I took a different position

Status
Not open for further replies.