• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How the heck should I know?!?

ucmj22

<START:RANT>/

So receptionist brings me back a job file and says "This was on Sally's (accounting) desk and she doesnt know what it is." I look at it and its pretty obvious to me that it is a 5X10 sign that I installed back in JUNE and put on her desk for billing! So I take it back up to her office and tell her this, and she looks at me and asks "did we bill for this?":banghead: :banghead: :banghead: HOW THE HECK SHOULD I KNOW, I PUT IT ON YOUR DESK 7 MONTHS AGO TO BE BILLED, SO YOU TELL ME?!!! And then she says, "well now I dont want to invoice them because it would be embarrassing to send a bill this late."
*sigh* I'm just gonna type in comic sans until my brain melts

<END:RANT>\

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
This is why paper based systems are archaic and dangerous.

Paper "systems" or electronic "systems"...either way, they both have to be diligently monitored. No system is 100% fail safe.

I think you should still send them the bill. Just include a note and explain the oversight.

As for the receptionist...it's time to put her on a shorter leash and require weekly / monthly reports...in other words, some accountability.

JB

ucmj22

Paper "systems" or electronic "systems"...either way, they both have to be diligently monitored. No system is 100% fail safe.

I think you should still send them the bill. Just include a note and explain the oversight.

As for the receptionist...it's time to put her on a shorter leash and require weekly / monthly reports...in other words, some accountability.

JB

It's not the receptionists fault. The owners daughter in law AKA "accounting" is the one who hasn't cleaned off her desk since June. I can't even say our system is broken cuz it never worked. I've been advocating a web based pos/billing system forever, since they don't want to trust anyone but family to do anything financial, and family is only here half of the year it's pretty impossible to run this business effectively. I know this is gonna come back on me somehow anyway. If I put it on her desk in a zappos box she would have found it.

James Burke

If I put it on her desk in a zappos box she would have found it.

Best one I've heard today!

But beyond that, the cluttered desk is only a symptom of a deeper problem...namely the severe lack of discipline.

Until she can master that problem, no accounting system will be effective.

Receivables is one of the worst areas a business can neglect. I'm also going to guess that other areas of the business are also suffering...and I'll bet that "accounts payable" is at the very top of the list.

JB

ucmj22

Payables are fine, we own the building, and anything we buy is on an Amex that gets paid at the end of the month. I'm done caring. Out of one side of their mouth they tell me they can't justify paying me more based on what the sign shop brings in, and out of the other side the openly admit that they don't want the sign shop to be any busier so I am available to do all types of various signage for their multi million dollar concession/catering/event business at the drop of a hat. I don't even care about being a graphic designer anymore. I'm REALLY considering quitting and using the rest of my GI bill to become a nurse.

Locals Find!

Payables are fine, we own the building, and anything we buy is on an Amex that gets paid at the end of the month. I'm done caring. Out of one side of their mouth they tell me they can't justify paying me more based on what the sign shop brings in, and out of the other side the openly admit that they don't want the sign shop to be any busier so I am available to do all types of various signage for their multi million dollar concession/catering/event business at the drop of a hat. I don't even care about being a graphic designer anymore. I'm REALLY considering quitting and using the rest of my GI bill to become a nurse.

Why not relocate and open your own business? You have the skills, the resources from running that shop and S101 at all your disposal. You have a better chance of success than most who go off on their own.

James Burke

I'm REALLY considering quitting and using the rest of my GI bill to become a nurse.

I've been in your spot before, my friend...and I say follow your heart.

After about sixteen years of following my dream, I got a chance to go back to work at the "old place" for a few months. It was a real eye opener and I'm so glad I followed my heart...and got a brand new perspective on life.

JB

OldPaint

how hard would it be for her to CALL....the person to be billed and say........i have an invoice here, and was wondering if you had received a copy so it could be paid. ill bet they HAVE A BETTER BOOKKEEPING for paid outs)))))))

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Why not relocate and open your own business? You have the skills, the resources from running that shop and S101 at all your disposal. You have a better chance of success than most who go off on their own.

+1

I would still hold the receptionist responsible for oversights like this crap. I would also tell the 'accountant' how to do her job when something doesn't get paid in over 7 months because her desk looks like a hamster cage.

And start the process of getting yourself set up ... I have a second bedroom turned into a studio for my painting ... but at any time, i just box up all my paints and canvases and I have plotters, large format printers and work tables as well as supplies out the rear end for rainy days if they ever appear let alone if I need to do side work since sometimes the mountain can't come to the man as it were and only out of office time I have is when i'm not at work. Might want to keep that in mind ... what will it really take to start out on your own? to start, a cheap chinese plotter, a laptop and some vinyl supplies? maybe some sign blanks? how bout wholesalers? get your sole proprietorship and a dba to do business as you see fit and pay your own wages and taxes and get out from that p,o,s, company. better equipment can come later as you grow ... sometimes all it takes is a push.