• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to be a Successful Sign Shop

Stanton

We have cook-outs or get-togethers and we all chip in and have fun. Your idea sounds nice, but I don't think you worded it right. Again, not one of your strong suits.

I agree.

I am not the most eloquent speaker.
I tend to say what I feel at the time.

So ignoring the point seems to be a strong suit for you.

I am not a bad guy, really.

Grabbing a bite to eat with a fellow sign maker just to get to know them better is great. Having a business relationship turn into a friendship is great too. But remember, we are talking about people here not some tool we can use because "business is a game".

I was trying to describe a way of forming an alliance.
I'm not the most articulate freak on the net.

I do my best.

I'll go hang out with just about any of my 'competitors' mainly because there really isn't such a thing as competition if you only compete with yourself to produce the best product you can. That and you aren't trying to be the cheapest in town. They can do things I can't, I can do a whole lot that they can't.

That is what I was trying to get across.

The fish are biting today. Stanton seems like a slightly more intelligent yet equally stooopid Addie. I miss Buto's contributions and those of other >175s.

I would buy any one of you a beer.

Show up, three abreast, at a City Council meeting on sign ordinances
Your voice will be multiplied.

That's what I was trying to say.

Plus, it's fun to hang out with like minded dudes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree.

I am not the most eloquent speaker.
I tend to say what I feel at the time.

I am not a bad guy, really.

I was trying to describe a way of forming an alliance.
I'm not the most articulate freak on the net.

I do my best.

That is what I was trying to get across.

I would buy any one of you a beer.

Show up, three abreast, at a City Council meeting on sign ordinances
Your voice will be multiplied.

That's what I was trying to say.

Plus, it's fun to hang out with like minded dudes.

Ya know Stan, as much as I'm trying to get past your bologna, that's all this post is.

You started your thread out by telling us we should take out three competitors a week and spend $65 a week on our competitors. Dumb if ya ask me, but it's alright if that's how you wanna spend your time and money, but next, you go on post after post defending how important it is to get these friendships going so you can use your competitors.... and excuse me if I'm wrong, but to get what you can out f them. Now you wanna go around repeating all the stuff most of us have said not only here in your thread, but to each other over the years and how we've really lived our lives. You sound phony. Now you say it as if it's yours. You never said anything remotely like we've been saying and I don't think you would do it anyway.

Regardless of that crap...... what's all this self pity my crap about, you're a nice guy, wanna buy you all a drink and most of all, I can't stand someone that uses the word dood in the context you do. To me, the only thing dumber than using the word dood is the jerk using the word.

Give it a rest.

Okay.... restie-restie. What's week #2 lesson ?? I can't wa-a-a-ait to hear this one. How many chapters are in this little book of yours?? :rolleyes:

Stanton

Nope..... but I'll betcha ya gonna tell me.................. :ROFLMAO:

Got an MRI yesterday. My left knee.

AWESOME machine !!!!!

Even with the ear plugs it was LOUD.
The floor vibrated.

Got home and Googled . . . "why so loud?"

Turns out an MRI runs at about 125dB.
Jet engine or rock concert loud.

My ears are still a bit fuzzy.

I like you, Gino.

Some of my best friends have very successful sign sign shops.

We meet often and share ideas,materials,techniques and people.

None of us feels threatened by the other and we all benefit.

It's the 1+1=3 mentality.

Bringing an old post back to life here.

I am no longer in Phoenix. When I was there I had a partner who made it seem he was the know-all of sign business. The guy knew a lot, but it was all half-assed knowledge. The work he did never came out the way I expected. He said "standard for sign business". I told him you can be standard and not make money or provide a better product and charge for it. Even me being his partner, he did not want to teach me things with fear I would kick him out of the business. His stealing from the business and pocketing cash is what got him removed.

I then met a few people who owned sign shops in Florida and Vegas (I'm in California). One of them I've traded information with, even did an install he printed that needed to be done in California. The one in Vegas has been super awesome when I had troubles with my printer. I was a graphic designer that moved into sign business because of the partner I had. I never worked at a sign shop before. The one in Vegas, taught me how to print, laminate, and cut over the phone. Even sent me step by step instructions, helped me with color issues and other stuff.

Now the people in California near me? NO DEAL! It's like "every man for himself". I like to know people who do what I do, it makes interesting conversation. I have a friend who owns a wrap company, we wrap cars. I was stressing about a job I wasn't going to finish the time and he offered to help for free. He ended up bringing three employees and we all knocked it out. Bought everyone food and a did some wholesale credit for him. He is the only person here that I could think of that I could trust. If I am short handed, he would send an employee. They would put on one of the shop shirts and work under us, I pay their rate. I wouldn't say take them all to lunch. Just find friends you can trust. Then have lunch and you all can get bigger and better together.