• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How To Bond Jewelite

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a 2'x8' polycarb face that has jewelite coming off of it. I found it on the sidewalk in a shopping center after some very bad storms. I bid and got the job to fix it. I found out the edging is Jewelite and saw some videos on how to mash it up to the edge of the polycarb. Question is what glue do you use to keep it on there?

Johnny Best

I use SCIGRIP weld-on 3 with a glass syringe applicator.
Think the name of the glue is MethyleneChloride.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How did you bid a job, let alone get it, if you have no idea of what you're doing ?? Are you sure you will make enough money to get through it...... or are these people a guinea pig sorta deal ??

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
And you'd better make sure the glue is for polycarbonate. In my experience, the glues for acrylic and polycarbonate are different products.

Johnny Best

guineapig.jpg
they leave a mess

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How did you bid a job, let alone get it, if you have no idea of what you're doing ?? Are you sure you will make enough money to get through it...... or are these people a guinea pig sorta deal ??

I get paid to learn. So what if I loose a little $.

And you'd better make sure the glue is for polycarbonate. In my experience, the glues for acrylic and polycarbonate are different products.

That's what I'm asking... Jewelite and Polycarb

Honestly, some people are very nice on here, others don't finish reading or jump the gun and post comments. If I knew how to do it I wouldn't be asking. Don't scold me for taking this on without prior experience... we're talking about plastic edging on a sign face...I should be able to enter the elite club that knows how to do this.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
View attachment 128059 it first next time.

Channel Bond Adhesive.

Another cheap comment. I did Google it, but got a few answers. Thought I would ask sign people to confirm or deny what I found.

Seriously some of you people are acting arrogant. If your time is too important to post a reply, then don't. If I'm wasting your time, don't respond to me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow..... you are something. Not only do you not know how to do something, come here, ask questions, but then you go on to tell the rest of us how to respond. You are really full of yourself, huh ??

Your words, honestly, seriously and then you say we're arrogant, scolding or too important..... and now you want us to go away. I don't think anyone is reprimanding you, but when one is a professional, they are supposed to know going into something what they're doing.

YOU are the arrogant one, in this picture. You are mis-representing yourself as a professional and now scurrying around to figure out how to do this. The sign was already damaged and you think by watching a u-tube or asking what kinda glue to use, you'll become a master fixer-upper. Yep, you take the cake.

So, Tex...... how'd you find out it was jewelite ?? How do you know it's poly carb or modified acrylic and not acrylic ?? Do you have proper insurance for going up in the air to fix this thing ?? Will you be pulling a permit ?? Personally, I've never found a single letter 2' x 8' which lost its edging without some of the other letters failing, also. Are you sure it's jewelite and not an aluminum edge lip ?? If you sported up some pictures, maybe you'll get some real help. But, if you feel we're too malicious towards you, by all means..... find someone else who can perhaps hook ya up.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I see how some respond to others on here asking a questions and I had a feeling "my time" would come.

I'm asking how to bond two pieces of plastic together.. shouldn't be that complicated. I did my own research and had a question about one aspect. Do I need to get grilled on my insurance when I'm asking a specific question?

Yes I have insurance, bonded and licensed. Permit not required. Anything else you'd like to know before answering my question. Need my blood type and credit reference? No I'm not scurrying around trying to figure this out. I knew before I bid I would have to learn this. Did some quick research and didn't think this was rocket science so I took it on. This is not my first day making signs, just my first day bonding jewelite to polycarb face. Simple question I thought should only get a simple answer.

henryz

I only told you what I would have done first, I usually don't reply to comments like yours but this time I will. Maybe you should learn how to Google first then make signs. I even went as far as telling you what to use. Next time I'll just laugh at your dumb questions and others make fun of you Texas_Signmaker

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I only told you what I would have done first, I usually don't reply to comments like yours but this time I will. Maybe you should learn how to Google first then make signs. I even went as far as telling you what to use. Next time I'll just laugh at your dumb questions and others make fun of you Texas_Signmaker

Ya know, it's people like this guy, who come here with a chip on their shoulder when they don't get exactly the precise way to do something, cause they're too frickin' stupid to understand business. Check out his profile and you'll see he is not at all qualified to work on such a project. Working out of his dining room, I hardly doubt he will do this correctly. He hasn't given enough information for anyone to really help him, but he continues to hand out a rash of sh!t.

I'd really like to see this project before and then after pictures.

Please Tex, can you provide us with those ??

Johnny Best

I responded in a nice way and informative way but this Texas Signmaker does have a chip on his shoulder for sure and thinks if he puts a couple words together and ask a question we should all jump, Maybe he can help someone later on after he learns some more, because right now with his responses he is just running in that wheel going around and around and not going anywhere.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Johnny, I appreciated your response. Sorry that I did not thank you as I got caught up with the others. You didn't assume that I didn't check google, nor did you ask me why I accepted the job or need to know if I was insured. You had a nice answer and I appreciate it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I responded in a nice way and informative way but this Texas Signmaker does have a chip on his shoulder for sure and thinks if he puts a couple words together and ask a question we should all jump, Maybe he can help someone later on after he learns some more, because right now with his responses he is just running in that wheel going around and around and not going anywhere.

Ohhhhh.................... so we've gone from guinea pigs to hamsters ?? :roflmao:

C

ColoPrinthead

The video leave me wondering how the fight ended and will bothering me for the rest of the day.