• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to Clean Retro-Reflective Vinyl before printing

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
I am having trouble with printing on retro-reflective vinyl. I use Denatured Alcohol and a clean Microfiber rag to clean the reflective before printing. However, it still has these little specks and fingerprints still on it even though I cleaned it with the Denatured Alcohol and Microfiber rag. I cannot really tell if these specks are a part of the reflective. And on top of that, it is hard to even notice these little specks before being printed. This is Avery Dennison's T6500 Retro-Reflective and a Roland TruVis VG3-540 printer. I don't know if it is Avery's vinyl, contaminated surface, printer heads, or if I need better cleaning equipment for retro-reflective materials. Can someone explain to me why this is happening?

IMG_2093 (1).jpg

DL Signs

Never go against the family
T6500 isn't for use with solvent printers, it's designed to be screen printed.

signheremd

We clean ours with Solv S1000 and a mircofiber cloth/rag before printing. Let dry completely (only about 15 seconds) after wiping evenly all in one direction.

There are several vendors, so check the pricing before ordering.

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
We clean ours with Solv S1000 and a mircofiber cloth/rag before printing. Let dry completely (only about 15 seconds) after wiping evenly all in one direction.

There are several vendors, so check the pricing before ordering.
This stuff is considered to be an Adhesive Remover. So the Solv S1000 can be used to remove specs, fingerprints, and oils? Does this stuff dry and dissolve onto the retroreflective then print without any problems? How does this stuff work?

signheremd

This stuff is considered to be an Adhesive Remover. So the Solv S1000 can be used to remove specs, fingerprints, and oils? Does this stuff dry and dissolve onto the retroreflective then print without any problems? How does this stuff work?
yes, the Solv S1000 removes contaminates, like oils, fingerprints, and specs of material. Spray it onto a microfiber cloth and wipe, or on big pieces you can spray the substrate and then wipe. I like to do a final wipe of the whole thing carefully all in one directions. If you give it a minute, any remaining product will evaporate. Then you can print. It works well on all Plastics, Aluminum, Aluminum or Steel Composites, even reflective coated Aluminum. For Painted MDO Wood use windex as the Solv S1000 will damage the finish of the paint.

MikePro

you can only clean so much.
even if you pre-wipe and entire roll, and hope to god that you don't have misc. wipe-streaks in your finished print, then you'll still potentially re-introduce dust/debris/eyelashes/fingerprints while respooling/loading.

...you could just simply print on an optically clear vinyl and then laminate your finished prints onto the reflective.