• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to color fill a prismatic font

Zardoz_Canada

I feel dumb having to ask this but I just can't seem to figure it out.

I have recently purchased a few of Dan Antonelli's prismatic fonts. I have no problem in coreldraw inserting color fills or a gradient fill in the black areas of the fonts but I just can't figure out how to do a fill for the white area.

As you can see on this link http://www.signdna.com/v2/cart/category.php?id=62&gp=46 on the 'alka' sign a gradient fill has been applied to the white area of the corinne font.

How does a guy pull that off? I guess I could convert it to a bitmap but then I loose all the ability to play around with the size and the ability to edit the text.

:thankyou:
Colin

Cadmn

colin I'm just guessing as I've never played with prismatic fonts but might the areas be grouped with something else or behind something else I had trouble changing colors once & realized later it had 2 pieces & one was on top the other I deleted it & viola. Good luck hope I helped but as stated shooting in dark here

geb

Colin, when you select your font, convert it to curves, then under the "arrange" drop down at the top select break apart, now you can change all your colors by selecting, or sweep selecting, an area you want to change.

Maybe there's an easier or quicker way, but this is how I've done it in the past.

George

Zardoz_Canada

i broke apart the font & then selected break curves apart. it allowed me to color all the text but an unfortunate by-product is that it seems to fill in the hole in the center of the font. For example: the center holes in the 'a' are not their anymore.

Any ideas?

iSign

copy your text to the clipboard, then the one copy still on your work space will be modified to allow the "second color" to be filled on it... then the "copy" will be pasted back.

The original have "holes in it"... not just the hole in an "o" for example... but all the white halves of the prismatic look are holes, so your original will be pasted back as is... but first the copy on the screen needs to have all the prismatic vectors deleted... but being careful not to delete the needed contours for the normal holes in letters like "O".

I use the white selection tool in illustrator because it allows me to select these vectors without uncombining anything... then when done, they display properly without combining again... but lots of ways will work. Paint these with the second color, & past back the original right on top so the "holes" show through to the second color.

Steve C.

Chiseled or Prismatic fonts are usually two part fonts. Is yours only a one part font? Maybe you are using a combined version. You should have a base font and a chisel font that fit one over the other so that colors can be changed. I am pretty sure Dan Antonelli's fonts are all two part fonts.
Hope Fred won't mind if I offer this link...it may be of some help.
http://artandsignstudio.com/tutorialchisel.html

Steve C.

Baz

I have those fonts and they are "Compounded objects" like an "O" or "P" etc.
What you need to do is convert your type to curves, uncompound all of the letters (your holes in the middle of compounded shapes will turn to black).

For all your compounded letters you will have to select the inside and outside of the shape and "compound" them back. this will leave all the chiseled objects ungrouped. Select them all and group them up for easy manipulation.

Hope i didnt confuse anyone :glasses: