• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to create signtray using flexi enroute

cmykburnley

Hi guys

Im using a flat bed router which I bought earlier this year.

At the minute im buying in signtrays. But they are quite expensive.

I have the tools but no idea lol.

Im told that flexi enroute you can create the files for a sign tray, but could anyone help me out with any pointers?

Evan Gillette

What material are you planning to use? It's pretty simple really, depending on your setup the hardest part is getting your hold down and spoilboard sorted so you can get a consistent depth of cut. Then it's just a V bit and draw a few boxes. Here is a good reference of how they are typically made with acm.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Evan,
What plastic would I use for an illuminated sign tray?
We are developing menu boards for a client and this gives me quite a few ideas

cmykburnley

Id be using acm.

Ive tried to do it within illustrator etc. Easy enough. But id like to do in flexi enroute as i can set up the tools and depths etc. Well apparently anyway.

cmykburnley

Someone mentioned multicam had a software addon for making sign boxes that could be purchased individually, I assume with tool changes and depths, but if I recall correctly it was $7k, and afik it only runs with multicam machines.
Ouch thats expensive!

I mean the job itself should be easy to do. I bought in one to see how they did it.

Its just the setting up

Evan Gillette

You can use any software you want to draw it, or just draw it directly in en route. I usually draw in flexi and save as dxf file then import into en route and assign toolpaths.

Evan Gillette

IMG_2827.JPG

cmykburnley

Yeah that’s my plan. I think it’s more how to use enroute and tool paths etc that I struggle with. There isn’t many tutorial videos for enroute that are the right thing

Evan Gillette

I agree, it has severely fallen behind vcarve, I bought my router used with an old en route 5.2 license and dongle and use it for now until I can justify building vcarve pro into a few carved projects. This is what I do:
1) start with the face (rectangle), this will be an engrave toolpath (or could use a route offset but make sure its on-line instead of male or female) with a v-bit
2) add the corner lines out (you can use a rectangle/square if that is easier as it gets cut out anyway, same thing as the rectangle, engrave with v-bit
3) draw or copy/paste both of the above and combine them so that it is just the outer edges, this is your cut out, assign a route offset toolpath with your cut out bit.