• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to deal with clients when it comes to how pdf files view on a computer vs. actual color.

gabagoo

This topic pops up from time to time... A good client of mine had me do 2 pickup trucks with a large swooping stripes that go from the back of the box to the front of the drivers door. The colors were always 321 and black. They changed the logo design but as far as I could tell the same 321 and black. Now they send me a pdf file with the new colors ( 4 months after the trucks were done) and my connection is telling me that the color is actually not black but a very dark blue and would send me the pantone. I did nothing wrong here as I have never seen this pdf file with the color breakdowns until about 15 minutes ago and ever since I have done work for them the colors were always 321 and black.
First thing I did was look it up in my Pantone book and it isn't even blue but a very very dark greeny blue bordering on black. The pdf file makes it look back lit and the colour is like a very very dark turquoise, which in reality it will never look like.
I will now do the newer pickups using this new colour although I have a feeling after it is printed and installed it will be difficult to say that it isn't black.
Not sure why sometimes pdf files display washed out colours on screen that do not represent the actual color.

I told the client to come in and look at the actual color in my Pantone book before I proceed to print as I don't want to have this issue coming back and biting me.

About 3 years ago this same issue came up when I had to do 13 retractable banners for a bank and the credit card color was a very dark blue bordering on black and even when I started the print I paused when it got to the credit card and matched the color to my Pantone book...dead on. The client was not happy because the color they think they wanted was based on what they saw on the screen and that color was more like a light navy blue...They even sent me samples of blank credit cards to match the color to, after the fact...Curious how the people who made the credit cards printed a much lighter version of the pantone color requested...not sure how they did that if they were given the same pantone number

How do you guys deal with this type of issue?

FrankW

Pantone is a color system created to print colors which cant be achieved with 4 color offset printing. Pantone colors are spot colors created by mixing 18 (as far as I remember) base colors according to specific recipes.

You will never achieve all pantone colors with a standard solvent, UV or latex printer. There are special bridge pantone books available which comparing the next process color match to pantone colors, but mostly according to print standards, not to solvent prints on a vinyl.

The best way is to get color samples, or print proofs for approval by the customer. But be careful, match the colors under daylight or proof lights, because of metamerism.

CanuckSigns

If you were not made aware of any PMS colours before you printed the job, I would say it's the clients responsibility to eat the cost if it's that important to them. It sucks but the best way to deal with this is to send the client a proof, call out any PMS colours that are in the file and mention that colour matching is only done on request and there may be additional charges for it.

I've noticed a trend recently of new designers choosing colours that are extremely outside of the colour spectrum that a CMYKlclm printer can produce, and there is no cut vinyl available that is even close, then I have to explain that the cost to print their stuff just quadrupled because it can no longer be run on standard equipment. Can someone please give these designers a pantone bridge book when they graduate so they can see what pms 232c looks like in a production setting.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Curious how the people who made the credit cards printed a much lighter version of the pantone color requested...not sure how they did that if they were given the same pantone number
My guess is they just printed whatever file was given to them and whatever color came out became the, "right" color to the bank and the bank's designer. Then they just expected that everyone would simply print that pantone the same.

rjssigns

We deal with it just like Jay Grooms. You want a dead match you pay for proofs. Client also gets to sign and date their proof of choice so there can be no monkey business down the road.

As far as looking washed out on screen there are some things you can do. First would be to get a good IPS monitor. Second would be profiling the monitor. Third would be controlling the light in the room where the monitor is placed.

If you're doing PMS match you can also get ambient light check stickers. Put them on the proof and when the client whines it isn't the correct color ask them if they see two colors on the sticker. If they do then they need to move to an area lit from the north.

In my last lecture I asked students what are three things needed to see color?
The three things are Light/Object/Observer.
Then I asked them which is the hardest to control...

rjssigns

Forgot to add I started creating color books. Cribbed the idea from Belmark after a class field trip.
Although mine isn't as complex it still has all the required data to duplicate a job.
Substrate, laminate, inkset, profile, signed color proof, "tails" from the job and so on.

The presenter says it saves a ton of time and eliminates guesswork.
Yes, yes it does.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
We have a disclaimer that says "proofs are not for color matching" and another than says "We calibrate our printers on a regular basis, however, we can not guarantee an exact color match under any circumstances."

In 20 years, we've never had a color issue with a client.