• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to deal with illustrator masks in Signlab

gabagoo

I have never really figured out how to deal with a mask in Signlab 8. I currently have a file and when I view it it looks fine but the wire frame shows a lot of the graphics are more than you actually see. The only way I can figure out how to be able to do anything with the file is to break the path. When I do that I can click on all the copy but the parts that were masked are impossible to click on...it's like they are invisible. I just want to put a white box over the areas that are of no use and weld them out but can't figure out how to do it. Is there a function in Signlab to allow this?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I haven't used SignLab in ages, but is there a clipping path option? I know that Adobe masks come in as clipping paths in Composer.

shoresigns

If this is an issue you're dealing with often, maybe you should be using Illustrator? If Signlab is adding clipping masks to AI files, it's because it doesn't actually support the AI format. AI files usually have a PDF copy of the artwork embedded in them, which is what Signlab is reading. It's the PDF copy that has all the clipping masks added, as PDF files always do, not the original AI artwork.

OPENSignsInc.

Ai files are a little finicky in signlab 8. I've done it where I'll import the graphic and strip everything away minus the contour/cut path. Then bring it in again and rasterise it (at least 300dpi) making sure to use guides or snap it to sign blank to line it up. I will also go in (if it's a solid color all the same around) and make it oversized by making an inline (.01 or so) & 1/8in outline on my cut path. Then double click on the image, use the eye dropper to get the color, use the magic wand tool to select the inline, invert the selection, and then bucket fill the background. Then delete the inline, crop to the outline, and put my cut line on top so that I don't get a white edge when I print and cut.

It will also bring it in sometimes where it will be a black to white fade that is supposed to be an "Alpha channel" to make a gradiant fade on text/images. You have to select the correct 2 parts and go image>alpha channel>combine.

They are still not native in Signlab 10 but it does do a better job sometimes. Illustrator is pointless unless you have the plugins (for your printer) & familiar with it.