• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get started?

mcentyre

I may get flamed for asking this but ...
I think I want to learn how to do neon. Not so much so that I can expand in to the business, but out of technical curiosity. Any tips on good places to learn about the process? How about an estimate of what it would cost to get started?

Thanks!

astro8

Man, you must be one hell of a curious cat!

You really need to find a neon shop to learn but they're aren't many willing participants these days to teach anyone anything as they're finding it harder to keep themselves busy. There used to be 'schools' around but I'm not in the loop anymore and half a world away so I can't really advise on that.

Learning yourself and buying equipment is a very expensive and time consuming exercise.

But, it's like everything in life, if you really want it, you'll find a way.

Last edited:
there is a guy with many years of experience (off the top of my head i think he has been at it for 60yrs or more)...Ed Waldrum that's his name. heck of a nice guy I know a couple ppl who have gone there and left with the basics and after years of practice are competent glassmen.

here you go http://edwaldrumschoolofneon.com/_wsn/page4.html i know a few ppl that have gone to various neon schools over the years. This is the ONLY one i know of that they students stayed in the trade.

as far as equipment goes. I come across old dusty neon plants quite often. I would not recommend purchasing anything until you have had a little training and you know what it is you are purchasing.

Craig Sjoquist

neon is in it's last years ... like sign painting ..yes still alot of work out there but still neon the next to fall
but learning how to design and layout for neon is a must

ndemond

eurocom-inc. website has a wealth of info.

When our son turned 20 he developed and interest in neon. After a month of intense hands on training from an old local neon bender he had enough continued interest so we purchased a euocom system. After 8 years he is still learning. He devotes about 10 hours a week to neon repair and new projects. As far as I know we are the only shop that offers in house repair within a 100 mile radius. It is a skill that requires lots of practice and patience, but one he will have the rest of his life.

The Jackson's sign was one of his first, 8 years old and never needed service.
And of course thats my baby in "action.

Nancy

Attachments

• jacksons.jpg
    jacksons.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 8718_100337083322129_100000375128008_6312_7125349_n.jpg
    8718_100337083322129_100000375128008_6312_7125349_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 274

Billct2

I tried my hand at it, many years ago, attending a neon class in New York.
I learned enough to realize that it was a very demanding, technical skill, that required a lot of time to learn correctly. Bending the tubes was only a part of the knowledge needed. I decided that I had my hands full lettering. But it did give me enough knowledge to design and sub neon signs.
If you're serious the best bet is to attend a neon school. Though the market is shrinking
I think there will be neon signs for quite a long time.

signmeup

Read everything you can about it and give it a try. It's so easy to research things these days. (I just watched a great little video on neon from one of the links above.) Almost every skill I have I have learned on my own. I've played with glass blowing and it's fun and definitely a skill.

You'll need a pair of propane torches, a rubber hose, a cork and some glass tube. Once you can form the tubes into shapes without it collapsing or making bubbles where bends should be you can learn how to make it glow. Then you'll need a vaccum pump and a tank of neon.