• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions How To Grow A Home Based Sign Shop

Mastermatt87

I am currently operating my sign shop based out of my home. I am working with a Roland Truvis VG-540 and a Royal Sovereign Laminator. In the future I would like to be operating in a store front with multiple employees and larger installation equipment, trucks, etc. Has anyone accomplished the jump from running a sign shop out of your house to running a successful sign company such as I described above? If so, what are some suggestions or personal stories that you can share to help me grow my business and transition into the larger sign shop I would like to be?

SignosaurusRex

Work 20/7, draft a plan, set goals with deadline & timelines, work harder, work smarter, sacrifice, establish networks, followup on everything, set more goals, establish more deadlines and timelines, continue to work hard & smart, sacrifice more...again, check your vitals, and continue...

Bly

Keeping existing customers is much less costly than gaining new ones.
The best way to get a new one is by referral.

visual800

Bigger is not always better. More stuff and employees is more headaches. Commercial costs for storefront can be a PITA. land more jobs, work all the damn time and sacrifice. It will pay off in the end. If you do go commercial one day you will long for home based again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no magical formula or pill. You need to be honest with hourself....... brutally honest and figure out what you are good at. No sense making a business plan for you, as you seem to wanna just cut to the chase and just wing it. Big, small or in between...... ya just hafta be able to roll with the punches or get outta the way if you flounder. Modeling yourself from people, all around the world won't do you and bit of good, if you don't know your local market, competition or capabilities. Be sure you are a big fish in a little pond, before becoming a little fish in a big lake.

Good luck.

WB

Personally I'd rather work just as hard from home keep my overhead as low as possible and maybe bring on an employee if needed. As soon as you go to a commercial space you cost will go through the roof compared to a home base business. Do you really need a store front? Do you rely on walk in traffic to support your business? I've seen people make the jump before and they end up making the same amount of $$ or less with 10x the headaches and stress.

But maybe that's just me.

bernie

A commercial store front does not guarantee more sales / income.
It does guarantee more out of pocket expense. Not only are you then paying rent but you are also responsible for bringing
in enough business to cover overhead, the extra in insurance costs and employee salaries.
My company pays 'fair market rent' for the use of the shop on my property ... there is no slacking as that shop could easily rent to
someone else. If you can't afford that each and every month, then don't move because that is just the beginning of 'overhead'.

rossmosh

As I mentioned previously in another post, if you're a 1-2 person shop, there are major advantages to running a home based shop. You cut your yearly nut down a huge amount which allows you to do less volume yet earn the same income. Obviously there are disadvantages as well. Driving around all the time for meetings can suck up a lot of time and resources, especially if you don't have a high conversion rate.

My #1 recommendation for running a business out of your home is to pretend you're not operated out of your home. Charge the going rate in the area. Get a real phone number (which you can forward to your cell phone when needed). Build a high quality website. Don't mention your home based. Tell them your business model is that you're on the road often doing installs so you just go to your customers. Don't hide the fact you're home based. Just don't advertise it like "Hey, I'm home based" because that normally translates to you being a flake or you having lower prices.

As for building business, honestly it's the same no matter if you operate in a retail, commercial, or home setting. It's advertising, marketing, and selling. Doing industry standard quality work is a necessity as is being reliable, professional, and priced properly. Also there is "luck". Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time. We got one of our best customers through a family member. Building that network is key to running a successful business.

printhog

Ive done this several times for myself and for others. Im kinda a startup junkie. heres what ive learned.

growing out of the home to commercial has many success/failure points:

1. how big is your market geographically
  2. who are you selling to in that area
  3. how many of them are there
  4. where are they located in that area
  5. why will they buy from you
  6. what do they buy now
  7. who competes with that
  8. whats it going to cost to get marketshare
  9. how much marketshare do you need to survive
  10. whats the growth predictions for that geographical region
  11. can you buy an existing shop
  12. whats the price difference between your startup and buying your competitors ongoing operation
  13. can you afford additional competitors entering the market after you open
  14. is your market subject to economic sensitivities
  15. is the web going to impact your sales
  16. what is your supply chain timeline (same day, next day, a week away)
  17. what do your suppliers stock
  18. will you hold inventory or order as needed
  19. do you have an attorney
  20. do you have standard terms of trade
  21. do you have an accountant (not just for taxes but for advice)
  22. do you have a personal relationship with a small local banker
  23. have you written a business plan - do you have an exit plan?
  24. have you created pro forma financial studies for success, break even, and failure models
  25. have you explored both fed and state employment websites for employee rules
  26. can you outsource things and do you have those connections
  27. what will your store/shop look like to the customer and to your staff (sales end and production end)

thats just off the top of my head.

its not very daunting, if you take a few weekends you can fix most all of that.

define your IDEAL clientele - what do they buy? why do they buy it? do they get it already? what do they pay (the average purchase is critical data)? what can you do to attract them? then get demographics and map where they are - firms like infoUSA let you do that online for free by yellow page market sector and industrial code.. itll give ya an idea of ahts out there. and if you want to buy a mailing or lead list thats what they sell.

define your business site and market model - industrial shop or retail store - your location will determine your clientele - the average retail shopper only travels 5 miles- so a retail location must have high population, visibility, and traffic to match the shopper patterns. You can get info about this from the SBA's website.. Retail stores like fastsigns are based on high traffic retail, large electric shops are industrial and based on a sales force going to clientele. They dont make the same product.

interview some real estate agents. youre likely looking to lease. Make a friend in the real estate office and ask them to be your agent. the single biggest failure of small businesses is a bad lease or location so you'll want to know whats available in your market and what the property owners are looking to get... You'll be negotiating an ongoing major expense in the form of a legally binding contract for years.. you'll need to learn about NNN, Gross, CAM fees, local taxes / fees that may be your responsibility just to start. a bad lease can kill your small business, a good one can have months of free rent to get your feet planted..

PRO TIP: add a clause for economic downturn or disaster - you need to have 90 days rent free followed with at least 6 months reduced rent to survive a disaster - be it from hurricane or the economy. Even a local issue can kill you - I once lost a $1.5 million per year shop to a contractor digging up the power lines and electrifying our intranet - he was uninsured.

How much space will you need? Retail sign stores are typically around 1500 sq ft and they produce $150-$325 per sq ft sales per year. can you do that volume with the average purchase level you have now? industrial sign shops start out around 2400 sq ft and should perform from $100 to $500psf/yr or better. Theres more flexibility to make more money from larger industrial projects, but you have the cost of outside sales, prospect creation, and a cap on shop space.

Can you expand in years ahead?
Imagine you're in year three and busting at the seams in your store, you need room.. can you take over the next door space, or is it leased for ten years? Moving an ongoing sign/printing business will cost you 20% of your clientele permanently, and reduce your sales by 50% for 6 months or better. the only move that ive seen work is a well orchestrated growth move into property you buy.. and then only because the efficiency of the new shop and the lower mortgage vs rent is the offset to the sales damage. Expansion is a viable issue to consider in site selection.

PROTIP: moving a sign shop? concentrate your sales staff to existing customers to build excitement for 6 months prior and to build your cash reserves. make the move well known at both ends - old and new. Establish two shops during transition and crew them both. Get production at speed in the new shop and then keep the old office staffed for 60 days after. Host a new shop party for your clients. Expensive, yes but it'll keep all your clientele.

will you call on prospects to grow business?
if so, you need to plan a sales rep salary into your model - if not its going to be all you - do you like selling all day?
do you handle rejection well? Do you do this trade because you like the art side.. if so the sales spot will suck after a while.

For some performance metrics: the ratio for successful retail sign shops to minimum general population is about 1:25,000 where there is a typical commercial center to the community. So in a town of 25,000 you'll likely find one sign shop and not enough business for a second. There is additional room for competition when a community hits the 1:40,000 mark if the town has a booming commercial town center. Conversely - Price wars start as the ratio falls below 1:20,000 and aggressive competition is 1:12,000.
Bedroom communities without the downtown center skew to 1:50,000. Electrical shops 1:125,000.

brain dump over. hope this helps.

i learned theses things from using the Small Business Development Center in my community. Theyre part of the SBA. Google SBDC and your community or state.

demographics and economic studies of your community American FactFinder - Community Facts

also browse SBA website Starting & Managing a Business | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

for additional advice seek out the service corp of retired executives - SCORE @ SCORE | Free Small Business Advice

OldPaint

#1, you need one of these. 001s.jpg this one is 24' x 30 x 16' then you can do all the work 60 feet from your house))))
i had a storefront 2 years........$600 x 24=$14400.00 WASTED......
$8500.00 got me the building. $2000 fro concrete and the wife and i erected the building. 140 NPH wind load, full 200 amp electrical, all to code...... heated and air conditioned.....inside looks like this: COREL 015.jpg