• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to handle previous owner's mistakes

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
This is a problem I run into all the time. Our previous owner would do everything, small decals, wraps, everything, with 3640 and 200 lam. We get a lot of warranty jobs come in that he sold three years ago. We will often times replace it with a proper film with a significant discount, usually just enough to cover costs. We're in a small market, so word of mouth is huge and it is incredibly important to ensure that the client is happy with your work. Regardless of whether or not it's your fault, they are your client to keep happy. If they're happy they will keep coming back and recommend you to their friends, partners and others.

Short answer, JBurton is right. Re do it on proper vinyl, explain the difference, and do it at cost.

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
Even if Cast material is used, improper care/ maintenance WILL shorten the life of the vehicle graphics.
You need to also have a handout that gives details on proper cleaning care for the graphics.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/706037O/faq-caring-for-your-vehicle-graphics-wraps.pdf

for future projects, approaching the GOOD BETTER BEST is an easy way to explain the differences in materials.
Also, if anyone selects the CAL vinyl for vehicles to make they sign a warranty waiver releasing you of any future claims and they accept ALL responsibilities.

Thanks for this! We'll absolutely use that PDF and looking into a new way of sending out estimates with the GOOD BETTER BEST options outlined. Right now we use Quickbooks and the estimate feature has a lot left to be desired. Namely if you put more than one option on an estimate it totals the whole thing together and gives the client an immediate sticker shock no matter how boldly I put in the email to ignore the total at the bottom. :eek:

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
I love these threads because they are always missing the most important information...
HOW MUCH $$ IS INVOLVED?

How much will fixing the problem cost?
How much does the current customer spend?

I agree, don't waste time going back and fourth with a whole conversation about who paid for what and all that **** if you are talking about a few hundred bucks.

Exactly - when I factored in the cost of the job to us it comes in at about $100 in vinyl and lam - this guy buys 4x8 construction signs from us every couple of months for his jobs. Bickering about $100 isn't worth me pissing him off.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Exactly - when I factored in the cost of the job to us it comes in at about $100 in vinyl and lam - this guy buys 4x8 construction signs from us every couple of months for his jobs. Bickering about $100 isn't worth me pissing him off.
$100..end of conversation. You made the right move.. do it, make him happy and keep on going. I disagree with those that say "do it at cost". I don't want them knowing what cost is... they will use that against you.

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
$100..end of conversation. You made the right move.. do it, make him happy and keep on going. I disagree with those that say "do it at cost". I don't want them knowing what cost is... they will use that against you.
If we're doing a job at cost, we never mention the fact that it is at cost. I only ever say that it is at a discounted price. I agree, not the kind of information you want in a client's hands.

Eforcer

Covering your cost is the best answer to keep both parties happy & have client come back & speak only good about you. I'm in a location where I haven't had a sign up in 3 years. My clients are my best advertisers. Google my spot 3159 Bruckner Blvd. Bronx. We depend on clients. Help them out. JMO