• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to handle previous owner's mistakes

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
My husband and I took over this sign shop almost 2 years ago. His brother had been running (did not own) the shop for a few years before that and we had kind of a crash course in sign making - we're still learning every day and I learn a lot from reading these forums.

The other day one of our customers brought his trailer by to show us that the graphics that had been installed in late 2018 were now peeling up. I think he probably did this with Oracal 3640 and 210 Laminate - which explains why it's peeling up at this point. I've checked through all the email correspondence I can find and can't find any place where they might have explained how long it should last, but based on the customer's expectations it seems he expected longer than a couple of years.

So my question is - how would you handle this? Would you tell the customer that the previous owner used the wrong material and they need to pay a lot more to have the job done right? Eat the cost?

He's not angry - just wants it fixed. We've done several signs for his work sites over the past couple of years and he's a good customer.

Attachments

• IMG-1399.jpg
    IMG-1399.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 360
  • IMG-1400.jpg
    IMG-1400.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG-1401.jpg
    IMG-1401.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 292
  • IMG-1402.jpg
    IMG-1402.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG-1403.jpg
    IMG-1403.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG-1404.jpg
    IMG-1404.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG-1405.jpg
    IMG-1405.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 289

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Come up with an amicable way that it doesn't cost you an arm and leg to redo the entire job on the correct material and the client isn't paying for a full redo. IE cover your costs at the least. Putting the onus on "previous owner" is your starting point. Make sure he feels like your client is not being taken advantage of but also don't give away the farm. Preserving the relationship.. I think... is primary.

Reveal1

Unfortunately when you purchase a sign company's name you also take on their problems. Legally, you might not be responsible (depending on the purchase agreement) but in reality you are assuming their reputation, good or bad.. I would not admit fault or that they used cheap materials - for all you know the customer wanted a cheap solution. Assuming they paid the cost of a calendared wrap, and they maybe could have gotten another year, Re-quote as a cast job and offer a 'good-will' discount of whatever you feel keeps the customer happy and you profitable.

CanuckSigns

Consider yourself lucky it's not a full wrap! If it's just the horse graphic it shouldn;t take much to redo it. I would explain to them that you were not the owner at the time and you are under no responsibility to fix this, however you understand their frustration and want to make it right, so you will do it for cost (material and labour)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A good customer that is still bringing you work? There isn't much to it, just redo the thing. Like already said, this is your problem, not his. You can assume that it was cheap material but you don't know for sure or what the rationale was for using it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
My husband and I took over this sign shop almost 2 years ago. His brother had been running (did not own) the shop for a few years before that and we had kind of a crash course in sign making - we're still learning every day and I learn a lot from reading these forums.

The other day one of our customers brought his trailer by to show us that the graphics that had been installed in late 2018 were now peeling up. I think he probably did this with Oracal 3640 and 210 Laminate - which explains why it's peeling up at this point. I've checked through all the email correspondence I can find and can't find any place where they might have explained how long it should last, but based on the customer's expectations it seems he expected longer than a couple of years.

So my question is - how would you handle this? Would you tell the customer that the previous owner used the wrong material and they need to pay a lot more to have the job done right? Eat the cost?

He's not angry - just wants it fixed. We've done several signs for his work sites over the past couple of years and he's a good customer.

I would split the costs and see if he is fine with that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just replaced something very much like this.

It was barely a year old and only after 4 or 5 months began looking really bad. Got a call about August for information on how to fix it. I looked at it and told them, the wrong materials were used and to go back to the original company and ask for them to replace it. Seems they had already used up all of their possibilities of giving the old sign shop the chance to fix it. They finally admitted defeat and we got the job to fix it. I started over completely with new substrate, graphics and laminate. They were so happy, it turned into a $7,000 some dollar job with all the other work needed. The other sign shop has since moved away, or is outta business.

Billct2

I agree, explain that the previous owner may have used the incorrect material and that it should normally last X amount of time. Then prorate the replacement.

Notarealsignguy

I guess I'm just petty but this would rub me the wrong way. If you can't stand to give up the couple hundred bucks, just tack it onto his future orders to make up for it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm just petty but this would rub me the wrong way. If you can't stand to give up the couple hundred bucks, just tack it onto his future orders to make up for it.

I get what you're saying. If I didn't make it or was not involved with it, I don't feel, I'd hafta do a thing. I would go more along the lines of what some others have said. I'd explain exactly what happened and you'd be perfectly happy to do it over and prorate it, since it is now part of your company. Afterall, you don't wanna start out by p!ssing people off. Show them gratitude and compassion.

signheremd

From the photos, it looks like he used the wrong lamination for the vinyl. May have used a 2 year vinyl. In any event, the question here is really about how you define your business and what reputation you want for it. Personally, I would redo the horses - no charge. The customer will remember that you stood behind the work and made it right. They will also remember if you put the expense on them. I have been in a situation many times in my life where a company tried to avoid standing behind their work and wanted to charge me additional to repair - guess how I felt about that and how much more business they got from me... I would explain that you just took over the business, and tell them you want it to be right for them and that the work of Signs Welly(?) is your best form of advertising. As too the materials to use, I would suggest leaning toward vinyls with longer lifespans paired with the proper laminates. We use Arlon SLX Cast Wrap with Arlon 3270 and/or Oracal 3951RA paired with Oracal 290 for signs like that. 26 years in business and we have a reputation for quality and customer service in our community. Hope this point of view is helpful.

signs_welly

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to just tell him to bring the trailer by and we'll reinstall the horse on cast vinyl with 290 laminate at no charge. When I price it out our cost isn't enough for me to split hairs about and I'd much rather have him feeling good about us. It's irritating and something tells me it won't be the first time we deal with these kinds of issues, but I guess it's just par for the course when you take over a business.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
What was the client charged for on the invoice? Does the price match a a calendared or cast vinyl?

We all know that it should have been cast vinyl, but if the client paid for calendared vinyl because they wanted something inexpensive, then I wouldn't replace without charging for it. You get what you pay for.

NOW, if the client paid for a cast vinyl and was given a calendared vinyl in its place, then I'd replace it at no charge. It's a good, repeat client and you want to keep them happy. It's not your fault that the previous owner used the wrong material but it's not the client's either.

It really comes down to what the client paid for and making sure they're not trying to shake you down for a redo when they cheaped out in the first place.

signs_welly

What was the client charged for on the invoice? Does the price match a a calendared or cast vinyl?

We all know that it should have been cast vinyl, but if the client paid for calendared vinyl because they wanted something inexpensive, then I wouldn't replace without charging for it. You get what you pay for.

NOW, if the client paid for a cast vinyl and was given a calendared vinyl in its place, then I'd replace it at no charge. It's a good, repeat client and you want to keep them happy. It's not your fault that the previous owner used the wrong material but it's not the client's either.

It really comes down to what the client paid for and making sure they're not trying to shake you down for a redo when they cheaped out in the first place.

Eh - he paid for calendared. That being said - he's not in the sign business and I very seriously doubt he was given options or even an explanation as to how long the vinyl should last. He trusted the previous shop to use the right material. If he was the type of customer always looking to do things cheaper I'd think maybe he requested cheaper material, but this guy isn't like that.

2B

Even if Cast material is used, improper care/ maintenance WILL shorten the life of the vehicle graphics.
You need to also have a handout that gives details on proper cleaning care for the graphics.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/706037O/faq-caring-for-your-vehicle-graphics-wraps.pdf

for future projects, approaching the GOOD BETTER BEST is an easy way to explain the differences in materials.
Also, if anyone selects the CAL vinyl for vehicles to make they sign a warranty waiver releasing you of any future claims and they accept ALL responsibilities.

rossmosh

Compromise. Tell him you found his bill. The price he was previously charged was for a 2-5 year vinyl. Tell him that regardless, you want to do the right thing by him. Tell him you'll reprint at your cost, install for free, and only charge for the removal and cleanup. This way by the time the job's done, you haven't lost anything and he's about the same as he would have been if he was charged cast vinyl from the start.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I love these threads because they are always missing the most important information...
HOW MUCH $$ IS INVOLVED?

How much will fixing the problem cost?
How much does the current customer spend?

I agree, don't waste time going back and fourth with a whole conversation about who paid for what and all that shit if you are talking about a few hundred bucks.

Snydo

It looks like possibly cast vinyl with calandered laminate, notice the wildly shrunk laminate in some of the photos and the vinyl stayed in place.

Notarealsignguy

I love these threads because they are always missing the most important information...
HOW MUCH $$ IS INVOLVED?

How much will fixing the problem cost?
How much does the current customer spend?

I agree, don't waste time going back and fourth with a whole conversation about who paid for what and all that **** if you are talking about a few hundred bucks.
Yes 100%, it's petty BS to bicker over $100. Those horses could not have cost more than that. For everyone saying the guy might have only paid for calendared vinyl, a good cal vinyl should last more than 2 years too. It failed on a flat surface, not over rivets or somewhere that it should not have been used.