• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to install a window cling with the adhesive on the color/graphic side.

Andrew Hodgson

A client of mine is asking to print some text that matches their existing logo cling. The current vinyl is installed on the inside of the restaurant window.

Question
- Any idea what material was used in the attached image?
- I currently use vinyl like 3M 40C. How would I print a frosted texture and place it on the inside of the window but the graphic facing out? Is there an adhesive that can go on the graphic side?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 10.37.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 10.37.36 AM.png
    402.3 KB · Views: 297

Billct2

Yep, "old fashioned" reverse cut etch/dusted vinyl, or you could go real old school and actually etch the glass :roflmao:

Jester

Slow is Fast
To elaborate on the excellent advice above, the frosted lettering you show in the photo is purchased with the frost built in and simply cut to shape. The frosting shows shows through the material's clear substrate and clear adhesive.

If printing a logo or lettering in color to be read through the window you can print the image mirrored on clear vinyl. There are vinyl materials made for this purpose with clear adhesive, or you can use "cling". Cling has no adhesive - the non-printed side is very smooth and adheres to the glass by static / molecular attraction. (Yeah, terminology police, I know....sorry!)

Lindsey

Not A New Member
A client of mine is asking to print some text that matches their existing logo cling. The current vinyl is installed on the inside of the restaurant window.

Question
- Any idea what material was used in the attached image?
- I currently use vinyl like 3M 40C. How would I print a frosted texture and place it on the inside of the window but the graphic facing out? Is there an adhesive that can go on the graphic side?

The material used is a frosted cut-vinyl film with adhesive. Such as...
Avery Etchmark (SC900-861)
3M Frosted or Dusted (7725 Series)
There are also frosted films available from Metamark, Oracal, Arlon, and KPMF (Select MF).

No printing needed. Just cut the vector file (mirror image for application to inside of window), premask, and apply.

Evan Gillette

Some cling will stick well to the printed side if printed with eco sol inks.

This is true, just be careful, after a year or two the ink starts to transfer to the glass and is hard to get off.

Just to clarify as well, a static cling doesn't really have adhesive like vinyl does, rather it uses static or surfactants to "cling" to the substrate which is usually glass. There is a big difference between the two materials and they BOTH exist in various forms.