• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make larger signs?

funnyb0nz

So finally ran into issue where I need to make a sign that is 21ft long and 2ft tall. So in illustrator it maxes out at 227.541inches. 21feet is 252 inches, how would I go about makeing the sign? Would I scale it, and if so how do you figure it out, than do you scale up when printing in Onyx?
I've been at this for a little over a year, and now first time to make a sign that is 21ft long. Thanks in advance for any help!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Divide measurements by 10 in Illustrator (so your sign is 25.2 inches wide) then in Onyx scale to 1000% size. Presto, correct sized output!

funnyb0nz

Divide measurements by 10 in Illustrator (so your sign is 25.2 inches wide) then in Onyx scale to 1000% size. Presto, correct sized output!
Thanks for the Quick reply. So would I have any pixelation scaleing to 1000% in Onyx when it prints? Sorry for the ignorance, as I have always done a 1:1 ration when designing signs in Illustrator.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thanks for the Quick reply. So would I have any pixelation scaleing to 1000% in Onyx when it prints? Sorry for the ignorance, as I have always done a 1:1 ration when designing signs in Illustrator.
As long as it's all vector, then you'll never get pixelation

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
As Pauly says, no pixellation if it's all vector. If you are importing any raster elements, don't flatten or re-rasterise those layers to a lower resolution and Illustrator will keep the original resolution data and will use that during print.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You could just halve everything. I take it, you're gonna be printing this. Can you print 21' in one swipe ?? Many people just halve it like I said and run both halves at the same time, side by side and save a lotta money, time and effort. Also, ever try to put a 2'×21' panel onto a substrate ??

Johnny Handsome

So finally ran into issue where I need to make a sign that is 21ft long and 2ft tall. So in illustrator it maxes out at 227.541inches. 21feet is 252 inches, how would I go about makeing the sign? Would I scale it, and if so how do you figure it out, than do you scale up when printing in Onyx?
I've been at this for a little over a year, and now first time to make a sign that is 21ft long. Thanks in advance for any help!
If you have Photoshop, you can do it full scale at 100 dpi. I used to do that for billboards and bus wraps.

Dan360

Latest version of Illustrator has 10x that limit, you just have to set it up past the old 227 limit when setting up your new document.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Latest version of Illustrator has 10x that limit, you just have to set it up past the old 227 limit when setting up your new document.

Yeah, the latest greatest "killustrator" got rid of that limitation. Corel is the better answer anyway. lol