• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make panels in Photoshop

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Thanks... my problem is when I imported into Flexi it said the image was too big and I had to lower it ... but I figured out I can just open the PSD straight in Flexi and it didn't give me that error.

and thanks for the ctl Z thing.. that is making it go faster
Wait, tell me your kidding. How can you not know about Ctrl Z?! One of my bands was named Ctrl Z. It's the most magical hot key in the world - if only there was a Ctrl Z in real life. Take back that flippant comment, would come in really handy when I'm rearranging the furniture, and it doesn't look as good as I thought it would....

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Wait, tell me your kidding. How can you not know about Ctrl Z?! One of my bands was named Ctrl Z. It's the most magical hot key in the world - if only there was a Ctrl Z in real life. Take back that flippant comment, would come in really handy when I'm rearranging the furniture, and it doesn't look as good as I thought it would....
I think CTRL Z when I adjust a decal on a vehicle then step back and its worse than it was before. It is by far the best shortcut ever

Notarealsignguy

If you tile a vehicle in the rip, how do you know that the seams will actually hit in good places? I always break them up in Corel while it is sitting over a scaled picture of the vehicle by drawing boxes where I want them then hitting intersect. Even on walls with doors or other obstructions, it seems better to panel using a template or picture of whatever you are putting it on?

Boudica

If you tile a vehicle in the rip, how do you know that the seams will actually hit in good places? I always break them up in Corel while it is sitting over a scaled picture of the vehicle by drawing boxes where I want them then hitting intersect. Even on walls with doors or other obstructions, it seems better to panel using a template or picture of whatever you are putting it on?
Math. That's why I prefer to do it in illy.

Notarealsignguy

Ctrl Alt Delete was pretty handy in earlier versions of Windows, not so much these days.
They are moving to voice recognition where yelling F*ck! does the same thing without needing 2 hands. It's so the millennials can text and work at the same time.

tulsagraphics

This is probably a basic question, but I have a 16'x40' wall wrap that I need to break up into 48" vertical panels. I know how to do it in Flexi but I can't export something that large without it maxing out and reducing the resolution. So how would I do this in Photoshop? My skills are very limited in photoshop.
Create your Photoshop document at 20x resolution so you'll be working at 1/20th scale. For example... if you need a final output of 100ppi for a 40' x 16' layout (480" x 192"), create a new file in Photoshop at 2,000ppi (20 x 100ppi) with dimensions of 24" x 9.6" (1/20th final output size). Then export your TIF and enlarge by 2000% in your RIP. Done.

Boudica

Why not just work in full scale at 150dpi?
You can do that too. There are many ways to enlarge artwork for production.

Depends on the original quality of the artwork, and exactly how big it is. For the size Tex called out, you can take quality artwork and "dumb it down" to a more manageable, rippable file to work with. and, it might look a little low res if it's in your face 12 inches away, but at that scale... It's still going to look great from the normal viewing distance.

Notarealsignguy

You can do that too. There are many ways to enlarge artwork for production.

Depends on the original quality of the artwork, and exactly how big it is. For the size Tex called out, you can take quality artwork and "dumb it down" to a more manageable, rippable file to work with. and, it might look a little low res if it's in your face 12 inches away, but at that scale... It's still going to look great from the normal viewing distance.
In a other thread people were talking about mixing up their vinyls, which are all marked from the manufacturer. If people can't keep that straight, how do they fiddle fart around with all of this scaling crap? It's all the same at the end, why not just make it simple? Then in 5 years when you have to make it again, it's ready to go, shoot it to the rip and hit go.

Mr. Signboy

It doesn’t matter where they break, you can just pre-seam all the panels on a table and lay it in one shot.

Boudica

In a other thread people were talking about mixing up their vinyls, which are all marked from the manufacturer. If people can't keep that straight, how do they fiddle **** around with all of this scaling crap? It's all the same at the end, why not just make it simple? Then in 5 years when you have to make it again, it's ready to go, shoot it to the rip and hit go.
I didn't say you have to apply every method in your production practices. Do what makes sense to you, and what works. I tend to over think, sometimes, occasionally... Any way. I'm the experimental sort. I try crazy ideas, that oftentimes work.

Notarealsignguy

I didn't say you have to apply every method in your production practices. Do what makes sense to you, and what works. I tend to over think, sometimes, occasionally... Any way. I'm the experimental sort. I try crazy ideas, that oftentimes work.
You're overthinking again.