• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to mount a sign to a rock

nssignguy

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone recommends on how to attach a sign to a fairly flat granite rock? Sign is 6mm thick ACM and is 2 ft x 3 ft. Does construction adhesive work or would I need to drill in mounting studs? Let me know what you think.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're gonna need something much more substantial then 6mm aluminum. We just did a cast bronze plaque and until you get enough torque on that to hold well, your 6mm is gonna bend considerably.

nssignguy

Hi Gino,

Thanks for the info. This type of install is new to me. I have mounted these type of signs to posts before with no issue. So a bolt or screw in each corner is not enough to hold this size sign?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Picture it. You have a rock that's not 100% flat and you want to mount a perfectly flat substrate to it. If you tighten all the corners down, it' will be snug, but most likely bent, since it wasn't' 100% flat. If you only tighten it til it almost bends, it won't be secured properly. Now it can blow off, be knocked off or just palin stolen. What's your choice ??

Baz

You could cut some aluminum tubing (according to your corner distances) and create stand offs.

John Miller

I would use stainless steel threaded rod. Drill holes in the stone. mount rods with epoxy making sure they project far enough from the face of the stone to attach your sign. Screw in a nut and washer on each stud as a standoff. Mount your sign and hold in place with acorn nuts.

2B

Thanks for the help guys but the customer decided to try it themselves. Sounds good to me!

these are some of my favorite projects, usually, 1 or 2 things happen
  • They install and it looks GREAT!, have actually learned new methods this way
  • They will be back, pretty soon, for another sign

Forty One

6mm ACM?
That will never last. Unless you mean 6mm solid aluminium stud fittings are best, but aluminium welds are softer than stainless.
If you only need to glue it, look for a product called Tennax.
It's a 2 part epoxy made especially for stone like sandstone etc.