• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question how to package paper signs?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
we will be providing a series of paper signs (diamond digital heavy, glossy photo paper) 12x24 & 18x36
to one of our large clients,

we will provide a label with description, item number, code39 barcode and a thumbnail and so far, are planning on packaging by rolling the long side in brown kraft paper & taping (the packaging shouldn't cost more than the sign)

for now, i imagine we will roll by hand & allow the roll to expand to 2-1/2" or 3" inside of a shipping tube, then pull the item out & tape fold and tape ends (like a big coin wrapper) This should allow for uniform size of the items.

does anyone have a better suggestion for easy, CHEAP packaging, providing enough protection as the signs go through an order picking system at my client's end?

my idea should work well, since, over the years, i was a big part of developing the order picking system the signs are headed for

this is a trial run, a small quantity (about 30 designs) & about 12 pieces each, just proof of concept for now
we discussed shipping in shipping tubes, but, the cost seems prohibitive

gnubler

Interesting question. Are you delivering them in person? I'd worry about them getting dented or crushed, or tape ripping the paper. Some of my outsourced prints come wrapped in plastic wrap to hold the roll together.

I wonder what Signs365's annual bill for shipping tubes is? I end up with such a surplus that they routinely end up in the trash.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Interesting question. Are you delivering them in person? I'd worry about them getting dented or crushed, or tape ripping the paper. Some of my outsourced prints come wrapped in plastic wrap to hold the roll together.

I wonder what Signs365's annual bill for shipping tubes is? I end up with such a surplus that they routinely end up in the trash.
i am sure any of us could live very well on what signs365 spends on cardboard tubes

i may try shrink wrap or stretch film, thank you for the idea

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I'd make cardboard sleeves - slightly larger than the posters.
good idea, we will give it a try. i had most of this worked out in my head a year ago.
the client sends out hundreds of orders on company trucks every day, the important part is to fit into their operation ( but i have the advantage of having helped design a large portion of it)

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
What about some poly tubing to keep it both rolled and protected from dirt/dust? Something like one of these options. The 2 mil 3" x 3000' works out to like 2 cents per foot.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
What about some poly tubing to keep it both rolled and protected from dirt/dust? Something like one of these options. The 2 mil 3" x 3000' works out to like 2 cents per foot.

very nice, i will order a roll today and give it a try
i had most of this worked out a year ago, but, never really considered how to pack INDIVIDUAL SIGNS
i was anticipating either leaving batches (per saleman) or packaging 5-10 different signs with an order (carboard tube would have worked then)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
No matter how cheap you are, the professional way is to roll up the prints and put them in tubes. Period. It doesn't matter a whit what the client might do with them, it's your image you maintain, not theirs. Whatever you end up paying for these materials, if you're not at least doubling it and adding it to the final price you might want to review your pricing model.

gnubler

After I posted this yesterday I received some rolled up sheets from a trade printer...wrapped AROUND a heavy cardboard core (not a shipping tube), wrapped excessively with black plastic film, with some styrofoam sheets taped around the ends to protect the media edges. There were still some bent corners and edges, not sure why they didn't just roll everything into the tube.