• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to seal UV Ink on Ceramic tiles and Glass?

Hi there, I am attempting to print on glass and tiles with HP scitex FB 500 UV flatbed printer. The problem I have is to spray paint a different colour backing over the image with a spot white overflood mask. This is on the reverse of the glass. The paint most used in NZ on Kitchen back splashes are a Du Pont 2 pak epoxy paint suited for Glass or PPG paint. Are there any varnish or clear sealer one can use that would protect the UV ink from being destroyed by the soluble paints. I've even tried water bourne paint with same result. Hp can not give me any answers on this topic.

artbot

i've run into this a bit. of all things in ended up using varathane (water based clear) in a thicker than usual layer. then lay in the CAB lacquer or UV curable polyurethane (both very hot solvents) thinly in two or three coats. the thinner coats will help the lacquer dry quicker. as far as your epoxy paint, why aren't you using a cab white? is it not certified? the dry time is very very fast if you set it up just right. the quicker the dry time the better chance of it not attacking your seal.

Thanks Artbod for your advise. Every splash back company here use the epoxy paint because the supplier also provide a great deal of the housing acrylic and water based paint used in painting indoor homes. This mean you are able to match colours easy. The paint also stick to glass good without any pre-treatment required on the glass. The price is also a quarter of the price of other soluble glass paints. I intend to push the bar by putting a Pearl White backing behind the translucent printed image for example. Also to be able to match a kitchen bench colour as background is hard with a printed colour match. I shall try the varathane and spray the soluble paint as suggested. Keep you up to date.

artbot

the varathane is surprisingly more solvent resistant that you'd figure it should be just coming off the shelf. the only issue with the waterbased clears is they they don't bite the surface when sprayed. i do some adhesion tests with it a bit to figure out if you need to use any adhesion promoter (that is if it works for your product).

also, there are some very high end water based lacquers like sherwin williams chem-aqua. i haven't used it before but the reviews say it is some amazing stuff. almost sprays like nitro'. i'm sure their properties surpass the varathane. the problem is it's only available in 5 gallon pales.

alcerkan

We've had good success running our 5'x10' jigs full of 4"x4" ceramic tiles off to an auto body shop for a few coats of Dupont Clear Coat, baked off in the shops IR spray booth/oven. Bonus: if they get a scratch, just buff it out like a car!!