• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to sell outsourced..

John L

I dont have a solution or suggestion, but I do have an observation that I am intrigued with. I think that there are many indications that the days of the middle-man, manufacturer's reps, and wholesale/retail are wearing pretty thin. We outsource very, very little, but I'm also asked that all the time.

More and more it seems people want to purchase directly from the source... to get that sweet price. The internet makes it easy these days. Also, it may be greed, may be a struggling plant, but manufacturers in many industries are now selling direct. Customers are hell bent on digging because they are just as broke (or greedy) and need that deal.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
For further detailed information on their questions I direct them to our help line (out sourced to the same one used by Microsoft).....

wayne k
guam usa

:supersmilie: As a leading manufacturer of foamcore monument signs with over 50 years of experience offering monument signs wholesale only to the signage industry -we have seen our sign shop clients approach it several different ways with their clients.

Some sign shops are very honest and direct with their clients, they tell them that they have chosen to partner with a wholesale manufacturer who does nothing but manufacturer monument signs all day long, ensuring that the product they are receiving is the best in the industry. (We are the only supplier to offer a monument sign independently tested and approved to withstand 175 mph winds)

Others choose to sell the product as their own (we offer unbranded sales sheets, suggested retail pricing and unbranded standard models). They don't mention a supplier during their sales pitch.

In our experience, both methods have worked and it comes down to the design, installation and sales capabilities of the sign shop. As the supplier, we stand behind our sign shops 100% and provide them with anything they need to sell our product - we are also a 100% wholesale only manufacturer, so their client cannot buy direct from our company.

One very important topic to consider is whether your supplier is wholesale only or if they "sell to both YOU and the end user"... This is the game changer.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If it's a box sign, channel letters, monument, I just tell tell them my fabricator will get that done for me, if they ask, I say he is in this city or that city, it really is none of their business.

As for business cards, I do the same thing. I usually say my vendor instead of fabricator. I don't use the word outsource if I can help it.

+1 to that.

It really comes down to how the customer perceives your services. They don't go to any other retail place and ask "Who do you buy your (insert product here) from?" To your whole sale company you are a Dealer, and they are the Vendor. Use those terms. Terms such as outsource, wholesale and production company imply you are acting as the middle man and anyone who is half way competent on the computer can find those companies and cut you out. Dealer and Vender implies a one way route for them to get a product. You can't buy TV's straight from sony, you have to go to a dealer for that.

Now I will use services that provide standard supplies such as door signs, fabricated letters and light boxes ... if the customer wants the headache of buying from a wholesale only company then more power to them. I'm always up front about "this is a Gemini Letter, This is X brand light box, this is Y brand light, this is Z brand banner stand" ... branded merchandise.

Anything else is just wasting your time.

trik

• So, you don't approve of labels on your groceries telling you where the food was grown... or how or anything ??
  • You don't care if someone puts things in your car's engine that are unacceptable at a regular garage ??
  • You're telling me, as long as you get something to an end-user.... they have no right to know what or how it's made in case something goes wrong ??

In my opinion, you might not have to tell them what you paid, but I'd want to know if a U/L licensed shop made my electric sign or if some hack just threw whatever he wanted into the wrong size box and under-sized ballasts with indoor lamps and didn't use raceways for protection and if everything is wired up correctly. Da heck.... you can't do it and don't know anything about it, but you expect your customer to respect you for saying.... it's none of your business how, where or what it's made of ??
Yep, that's what keeps this business moving right along. :banghead:

Gino I understand what you are saying. I didn't type out a long list of things to just make the message long. I was giving him a short quick answer. Just because I do not manufacture my electrical signs, does not mean I don't know what I am doing. I am a license contractor, and could build them if I had all the equipment to do so, but I don't, so I outsource my manufacturing to reputable companies and stand behind their products. And yes I only use vendors who make U/L licensed electrical signs.

So are you really going to give your customer all your wholesale vendors names? Call Fellers, that's who I bought the vinyl from, they can deal with the issue of it failing, is Feller's then going to pass the buck to Avery? (yes cheap shot at Avery)

What I am saying is that the customer doesn't really need to know every detail of how your business is ran, until a major issue come ups. Then yes, they need to know how the sign was made, by who, and to what specs, install, etc. I am pretty confident in my work, as well as my vendors.

• So, you don't approve of labels on your groceries telling you where the food was grown... or how or anything ?? If I got bad food from the grocery store, I would go back to the store not the farmer, they are who supplied me the food and are the first point of responsibility. Yes it could need to go deeper than that.
  • You don't care if someone puts things in your car's engine that are unacceptable at a regular garage ?? Well I would use a reputable garage and I consider my self a reputable sign shop.
  • You're telling me, as long as you get something to an end-user.... they have no right to know what or how it's made in case something goes wrong ?? Again I should be the first point of contact, and I fix it or the manufacturer would fix if I could not.

Locals Find!

As a Broker I deal with this more than many of you. I have found if you are just honest with your customers they will understand. DON'T LIE !!!

Tell them the truth yeah I send it out. Just the same as 90% of all print shops in the country send out business cards etc... Its not profitable enough to do in house.

Have samples of the work to showcase. If your providing quality thats what matters. Don't ever tell a client where stuff is coming from. You don't ask your butcher if he can tell you what farm the cow was raised on and where its located when you buy a steak. So why the hell does your customer need to know where you get your stuff??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino I understand what you are saying. I didn't type out a long list of things to just make the message long. I was giving him a short quick answer. Just because I do not manufacture my electrical signs, does not mean I don't know what I am doing. I am a license contractor, and could build them if I had all the equipment to do so, but I don't, so I outsource my manufacturing to reputable companies and stand behind their products. And yes I only use vendors who make U/L licensed electrical signs.

So are you really going to give your customer all your wholesale vendors names? Call Fellers, that's who I bought the vinyl from, they can deal with the issue of it failing, is Feller's then going to pass the buck to Avery? (yes cheap shot at Avery)

What I am saying is that the customer doesn't really need to know every detail of how your business is ran, until a major issue come ups. Then yes, they need to know how the sign was made, by who, and to what specs, install, etc. I am pretty confident in my work, as well as my vendors.

• So, you don't approve of labels on your groceries telling you where the food was grown... or how or anything ?? If I got bad food from the grocery store, I would go back to the store not the farmer, they are who supplied me the food and are the first point of responsibility. Yes it could need to go deeper than that.
  • You don't care if someone puts things in your car's engine that are unacceptable at a regular garage ?? Well I would use a reputable garage and I consider my self a reputable sign shop.
  • You're telling me, as long as you get something to an end-user.... they have no right to know what or how it's made in case something goes wrong ?? Again I should be the first point of contact, and I fix it or the manufacturer would fix if I could not.

Nope.

Between the two of you is what I'm talking about.

Most shops and with the wording in many of these posts, the general idea seems to be... The customer gets what I give them and the heck with how or who makes it and if it's built to code specs, let alone U/L. This is the mentality which when a consumer gets burned, puts a bad taste in their mouths and they don't trust anyone from there on in. It makes it very hard to do business the right way, where the customer gets what they want and they are always right.... or at least thinks that.

In selling a simple truck lettering job, I give the customer a choice of cast or intermediate vinyl. I also give them the pros and cons to both choices. I will tell them I deal with many manufacturers and how we will do the whole job. I give them the choice and they can decide, but at least they are more educated on making the decision and it will be their own fault if they choose cheap, but they already have been warned.

As for a can sign [backlit] , if we're under the gun, we'll do it from a knock-down kit and go from there. Just a few months ago, we had to put together 5pcs. 4' x 8' cans, doubles-sided. We told the customer we weren't building them in house due to his time frame, but it was the next thing to it. We got them done in time and he was happy.

There's a lot of people that will buy a ready-built can from a manufacturer and have no idea of what they're buying, let alone what they're going to be putting up code-wise and should something go wrong.... you're not gonna get a wholesaler to stand behind something some schmuck put up... especially if it wasn't ordered correctly. If this thing catches fire and burns a building down.... well, insurance will fight it out. However, should it fall on someone's head while burning or not and kills that person.... believe you-me, someone is gonna pay dearly for that and if the necessary people involved didn't know they were getting an inferior product.... look the heck out, cause the lawyers are gonna have a field day.

That's why it's dangerous to give advice here. No one asks full questions and in turn... don't listen to long answers. They take the easy way out and just do what they want and take their chances. That is bad business strategy in my opinion especially when dealing with electrical signs.

In your case, if you know what you're doing and know right from wrong, then it's fine, but as the OP suggested he'll just do what he wants and gives no indication what he's doing, then I think this practice is foolish.
Oh, by the way, should you buy a tool, an appliance or many other items at most stores today, you cannot return it to where you purchased it, but you must deal with the manufacturer in almost all cases. It's not told to you, but in the instruction manual or guide in the fine print.:Oops:

THELILPRINTER

nice!

It sounds like you have been rehearsing that line quite a bit. :rock-n-roll:

I tell them we partner with other professionals that offer their services only to shops in the industry. We don't do it all in house because we would rather bow to the experts in their fields, so we can concentrate on providing them the best sign possible.