• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to shut off Windows updates?

wedosigns

Last night in the wee hours of the morning, windows decided it needed to do a security update, then shut down. Did not give me a choice to shut down latter, nothing!
Problem was I had two printers going and now the prints are f**ked.
I should be able to just do manual updates?
Thanks Bruce

Eric H

Go to control panel, system and security, windows update. That's for windows 7 other versions should be similar.

visual800

im running windows xp with sp2 and that is he only update on my comps. I do not download any updates for microsoft the last time I was updating i had to reformqat to get my junk back working on it!

visual800

I do know that and the only time I have been maliciously attacked is going on sited I should have been one and downloading junk without scanning, i personnally think security patches are BS. Since not downloading "updates, patches or any other vulnerable crap" I have had no issues. No hacking that I know of if there was I doubt they got anyhting. I run great virus protection and registry cleaners. I keep the pc clean.

i do realize this is my opinion BUT when I updated that last time and kicked flexi out of comp and I had to reformat that was the last straw. This is MY computer not windows incorporated to be throwing useless junk at me

round man

We were taught at school to turn the updates off and to download them manually and personally supervise and review any updates and patches before installing them,...there is a reason folks in the IT field call Tuesdays terrible Tuesdays because that is the day Mickey soft usually releases updates,....most are good secure updates that help provide security for vulnerabilities as they are found but when gate's crews screw tha pooch they can really mess up your day,...rule of thumb is look before you leap,...

round man

In school I was also taught to stay on top of any tech news,..thus I read anything that I see hit the media on technology that I find,...seems apple recently had good reason to send an update that addressed some major security issues and flaws in their network structure,If you keep on top of technology news, apple has not got a good track record of addressing issues promptly , to eliminate issues,.....I did the update for my son's new macbook pro and encountered this false idealism amongst mac owner's within my own family and once I took the time to explain the problem with this attitude and the popularity and vulnerabilities of the latest mac devices making them a primary target for hackers and malware providers simply because of this ignorant attitude by the mac users I convinced him of the need for virus and malware protection on his mac unit,...needless to say if you think because you use macintosh hardware you are invulnerable to any mailicious attacks and or needs for software updates,...you well deserve the bullseye target you've sewn on your own butt.

edited to add,....in school when we were studying the issue of updates and software patches the first thing explained to us was that there are updates and patches for any operating system used,...no one particular operating system could continue to function if they didn't address any issues that arise as time passes or it would promptly become obsolete,...this goes for microsoft, linux, apple,android,and even google,..just to mention a few of the most popular operating systems among the many others out there now and that are becoming available on a continually evolving basis

Last edited:

Techman

Everyone missed the obvious
"Buy a Mac"
answer

AHAHHAHA,,

We don't want a MAC. We like our social groups discussing all there is about our OS and machine components. We are part of the world and not shut out by some strange mysterious belief system.

We do not wish to be part of some gang that posts smug retorts as witnessed aboveon every PC tread .
We do not want to be locked into some kind of clone continuum.
We do not wish to be part of the great cult of the "I"
We like being free thinkers. and have a have load of software to select from.
We do not wish to be forced to run "hack on a MAC" to run windows in order to run some of those really cool softwares only available to a PC..
We like having the ability to ask a neighbor for a spare part for our machine if we want to test some new idea.
We like being able to enter any best buy store to purchase machine instantly if we really want to get one right now.

And most important. We like the ability to operate our machines as we see fit, to write our own software and complete tasks that MAC users only dream about and to turn off updates completely and never get one again as long as the machine exists.

We are very snug in our thoughts that every thing operating on a MAC was first used and perfected on a PC and later copied into a MAC by some user in his garage. Thus turning a MAC into a subclone of the PC world.

visual800

the only difference between MAC and PC is ....windows throw more trash onto the updates and platforms. If you want a clean running machine TURN OFF all windows updates! Cut off that stupid a$$ security junk that slows the comp to a crawl. Turn off all "are you sure you wanna" windows and pop ups. (my most annoying) having to answer a damn question on EVERY click you make is obsessive. Do not allow windows to own your computer